An Old School Catholic Message Board

Growth In Humility

Sarah147

Hello :wave:

What ways have you learned to give pride a whack in the head, :getaclue: and ways to grow in humility?

Please also include what spiritual directors, Religious, Saints, etc. have shared with you.

God bless you.

TeresaBenedicta

Grace. Read some St. Thomas on grace. I mean, seriously... When you [i]really[/i] understand the workings of grace, it's almost impossible to deliberately be prideful about anything. Of course, it's the undeliberate stuff that's harder to overcome. I think that's the work of our entire spiritual lives.

All is indeed Grace (St Therese of Lisieux)
Humiliation(s) and even compliments tell me how much pride still is still alive and well - and learning to take both with equal serenity and Peace is a good exercise in the school of being humble I think. If anyone thanked my Dad, he would reply "Do not thank me, thank The Lord" and he had a way of saying it that he meant it which first led me to understand Grace.

"All is Grace"

God bless - Barb

AccountDeleted

Read the Screwtape Letters by C S Lewis and get a good idea of how the evil one uses our false understanding of pride to make us ashamed of the gifts that God has given us while still failing to achieve any kind of true humility at all! Lewis is a gem - and this book was first published back in 1942. :like:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1286595453' post='2178713']
All is indeed Grace (St Therese of Lisieux)
Humiliation(s) and even compliments tell me how much pride still is still alive and well - and learning to take both with equal serenity and Peace is a good exercise in the school of being humble I think. If anyone thanked my Dad, he would reply "Do not thank me, thank The Lord" and he had a way of saying it that he meant it which first led me to understand Grace.

"All is Grace"

God bless - Barb
[/quote]

Welcome back Barb - it's been awhile :shock:

Stop by in the chat room sometime... there is a lot of craziness happening there :blink:

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1286603773' post='2178731']
Welcome back Barb - it's been awhile :shock:

Stop by in the chat room sometime... there is a lot of craziness happening there :blink:
[/quote]

Thank you, Nunsense!..has been some time.
I have never been in a chat room in my life and dont know how to get there and doubt that time would allow. But thank you and I will have a look at it asap, as I can see the "Chat" at the top of this page.

God bless - Barb :)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1286610088' post='2178737']
Thank you, Nunsense!..has been some time.
I have never been in a chat room in my life and dont know how to get there and doubt that time would allow. But thank you and I will have a look at it asap, as I can see the "Chat" at the top of this page.

God bless - Barb :)
[/quote]

Well, if you do get time, just click on the word Chat. The number beside the word tells how many people are in Chat so if there is no number, then no one is there. On the first page of the Forums, at the bottom of the page, it lists who is in the Chat room at that time. I'll be playing there on and off until I leave next Friday - hope to catch you there. :wave:

Edited by nunsense

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1286611168' post='2178738']
Well, if you do get time, just click on the word Chat. The number beside the word tells how many people are in Chat so if there is no number, then no one is there. On the first page of the Forums, at the bottom of the page, it lists who is in the Chat room at that time. I'll be playing there on and off until I leave next Friday - hope to catch you there. :wave:
[/quote]

Thank you ! I will make an effort to try to catch up with you in the Chat before you leave. Next Friday is the big day, huh! May The Lord be with you all the way with Our Lady and St. Teresa and may your every dream find fulfillment - even those dreams you have not dreamt nor imagined yet. I am so happy for you!

Barb :wave:

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1286586664' post='2178688']
Hello :wave:

What ways have you learned to give pride a whack in the head, :getaclue: and ways to grow in humility?

Please also include what spiritual directors, Religious, Saints, etc. have shared with you.

God bless you.
[/quote]

From Joan of Arcadia:

[url="/name/nm0003928/"][b][color="#003399"]Linesman God[/color][/b][/url]: Stop underachieving. Stop squandering the potential I gave you. Have some pride.
[b][url="/name/nm0848554/"][color="#003399"]Joan[/color][/url][/b]: What about humility?
[b][url="/name/nm0003928/"][color="#003399"]Linesman God[/color][/url][/b]: Humility isn't actually humility unless there's something you're good enough at to be humble about.

So I'm assuming you're good at something. Humility is [i]hard[/i]. Grace is the only way to get it, and "Only Grace Suffices." Mary was humble, so maybe try praying to her? Also, St. Augustine is a goody.

Dieu vous benisse!

[quote]Linesman God: Humility isn't actually humility unless there's something you're good enough at to be humble about. [/quote]............ :lol4:

I find that trying something new and stepping out of my comfort zone helps me to be less complacent and sure of myself. Not sure if that's really humility, but it's hard to be prideful when you're the newbie! Of course, once you catch on and start to feel comfortable there....

What is "linesman God"?

I suppose the key to humility is realizing that EVERYTHING we are, have, do, and all that exists, is of God.

Really taking to heart that we are Children of God humbles us.

I love these quotes:

Be who you are and be that well. -- Saint Francis De Sales

Pride makes us artificial and humility makes us real. -- Thomas Merton[b]
[/b]
To love God is something greater than to know Him. -- St. Thomas Aquinas

MissScripture

One thing that reminds me to be humble has been my heart (my physical heart, with all it's defects), because it's made me realize how little control I really have, and how God is the one really in charge of things, and its up to Him what happens.

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1286758778' post='2179003']
What is "linesman God"?

I suppose the key to humility is realizing that EVERYTHING we are, have, do, and all that exists, is of God.

Really taking to heart that we are Children of God humbles us.

I love these quotes:

Be who you are and be that well. -- Saint Francis De Sales

Pride makes us artificial and humility makes us real. -- Thomas Merton[b]
[/b]
To love God is something greater than to know Him. -- St. Thomas Aquinas
[/quote]

In the show Joan of Arcadia (off the air since 2002, I think), God appears to Joan Girardi in many different forms. Linesman God is just one manisfestation of God. The whole point of God appearing in different forms is the idea that God is in everyone. God generally asks Joan to do things, like take AP Chem, which she hates. The quote is from that episode.

how to give pride a whack in the head -- regular honest confession (if with the same priest, better). And regular spiritual direction. It helps to be honest with yourself about your failures and shortcomings, as well as your strengths and gifts. A humble person recognizes both, and knows Who is the giver of gifts.