An Old School Catholic Message Board

Adorers Of The Royal Heart Of Jesus Christ Sovereign Priest

Jennifer

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1306624691' post='2247168']
I think its absolutely beautiful :blush: I had never heard of them so have looked them up, they seem lovely.

I think, when looking at how elaborate the ceremonies were, we need to remember they are in Italy, a Catholic country. On the whole such occasions are 'fancier' there, and many of the beautiful medieval churches are that elaborate, and the priests do tend to wear elaborate vestments - good grief, I live in the Isle of Wight of all places and our parish priest does every week! The church here is also very elaborate. I also think we should remember that they get clothed/professed en masse and so the cost per sister isn't extortionate. Its not what I would choose myself, but then Im a Carmelite and it would never be like that for me, but I certainly don't have a problem with it.
[/quote]

BTW, anyone know which church these ceremonies were in? It looks like St. Peter's in its magnificence, but is it...?

Their very name -- "Royal Heart of Jesus Christ Sovereign Priest" -- indicates to me that they are stressing the "Church triumphant" aspect. Royalty never dresses [or behaves] as if poverty-stricken or humble. I get the feeling that they are harking back to the period of the Counter-Reformation, when the Church certainly wasn't shy or retiring. It's sort of like comparing plain chant with the Mozart Coronation Mass, if you see what I mean. Both have their place.

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1306638280' post='2247213']
Their very name -- "Royal Heart of Jesus Christ Sovereign Priest" -- indicates to me that they are stressing the "Church triumphant" aspect. Royalty never dresses [or behaves] as if poverty-stricken or humble. I get the feeling that they are harking back to the period of the Counter-Reformation, when the Church certainly wasn't shy or retiring. It's sort of like comparing plain chant with the Mozart Coronation Mass, if you see what I mean. Both have their place.
[/quote]

Was Jesus royal? Was he rich? Did he go around in lace and fancy dress?

Didn't he say,[i] Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.[/i] (Douay-Rheims Matt 5)

didn't he say,

Matthew 6:28-32 (Douay-Rheims, one of the traditional translations accepted by the Catholic church:)

[i]And for raiment why are you solicitous? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they labor not, neither do they spin. [29] But I say to you, that not even Solomon in all his glory was arrayed as one of these. [30] And if the grass of the field, which is today, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, God doth so clothe: how much more you, O ye of little faith?

[31] Be not solicitous therefore, saying, What shall we eat: or what shall we drink, or wherewith shall we be clothed? [32] For after all these things do the heathens seek. For your Father knoweth that you have need of all these things.[/i]

faithcecelia said, "... they are in Italy, a Catholic country."

I've been there on four occasions. On any given Sunday morning in any given church, you could shoot a handgun in any direction, let it ricochet off the marble until it spent all its energy, and it still wouldn't hurt anyone. The churches are practically empty.

So yes, Italy is a Cathlic country, but I'd qualify somehow - [i]used [/i]to be a Catholic country, is a [i]nominally[/i] Catholic country, is a [i]culturally [/i]Catholic country - something to that effect.

Not that that has anything to do with the investiture of these nuns or the style of the investiture.

Lilllabettt

Why do people cling to such such rigid ideas about what religious life should look like???

When they built the Shrine in Alabama, the one attached to Mother Angelica's community, some people complained about its "opulence." I remember one famous priest calling it the "Tomb of Lady Poverty." I can see his point because these are Poor Clares! But the reality is the community does not live in the Shrine. They live in the Monastery, which is very simple. They worship the King of Kings in the Shrine - it is His palace and they gave Him the best.

The Sisters pictured here are not Franciscans; their Salesian spirituality emphasizes simplicity of spirit, not corporal poverty. They are also Benedictine, with a strong, special emphasis on celebrating the Liturgy in all its majesty. This is their charism, their particular gift of the Spirit to the Church.

If its not your cup of tea, fine! But why suggest that one way of doing things is the "right" way?

Its such a stiff and rigid way of thinking!

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1306676553' post='2247365']
Why do people cling to such such rigid ideas about what religious life should look like???

When they built the Shrine in Alabama, the one attached to Mother Angelica's community, some people complained about its "opulence." I remember one famous priest calling it the "Tomb of Lady Poverty." I can see his point because these are Poor Clares! But the reality is the community does not live in the Shrine. They live in the Monastery, which is very simple. They worship the King of Kings in the Shrine - it is His palace and they gave Him the best.

The Sisters pictured here are not Franciscans; their Salesian spirituality emphasizes simplicity of spirit, not corporal poverty. They are also Benedictine, with a strong, special emphasis on celebrating the Liturgy in all its majesty. This is their charism, their particular gift of the Spirit to the Church.

If its not your cup of tea, fine! But why suggest that one way of doing things is the "right" way?

[/quote]

:like:

As there are all different kinds of Catholics, there are different religious orders to fit their callings to religious life. No one should judge them if they are living a life faithful to Christ and the Church.

Edited by LaPetiteSoeur

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1306676553' post='2247365']

[/quote]

iawtc

I was trying to say something to this effect, but failed miserably and erased my post. Kudos to you, Lilllabettt, for getting my point across. :like:

It's simply another opinion. It's not stiff and rigid. I simply am disagreeing. The OP thought that it was lovely. I think that it's pretty, and impressive, but I also find it triumphal and ostentatious, and therefore, to me, somewhat repellent.

Lilllabettt

[quote name='jkaands' timestamp='1306681547' post='2247397']
It's simply another opinion. It's not stiff and rigid. I simply am disagreeing. The OP thought that it was lovely. I think that it's pretty, and impressive, but I also find it triumphal and ostentatious, and therefore, to me, somewhat repellent.
[/quote]

Well, I think its good to have a diversity of opinion. "Not my cup of tea," "it rubs me the wrong way" - fine.

But some posts on this thread suggest that these ceremonies represent a departure from authentic spirituality and are contrary to the Gospel example of Jesus.

That to me is way over the top and represents "my way or the highway" type thinking.
There are multiple ways of living religious life, receiving the habit, making vows, praying the Liturgy etc., and they are all legitimate, even the ones that don't suit my tastes.

Edited by Lilllabettt

LadyOfSorrows

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1306568017' post='2247010']
I wonder why they gave up on St.Louis...or what became of Mere Marie de la Amour de Dieu...I find the order fascinating; everything is in such perfect taste.
[/quote]

Currently, the move to St. Louis is on hold due to illness of one of the sisters who was supposed to be here. They do not know if they will establish a foundation in the near future.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1306686054' post='2247408']
Well, I think its good to have a diversity of opinion. "Not my cup of tea," "it rubs me the wrong way" - fine.

But some posts on this thread suggest that these ceremonies represent a departure from authentic spirituality and are contrary to the Gospel example of Jesus.

That to me is way over the top and represents "my way or the highway" type thinking.
There are multiple ways of living religious life, receiving the habit, making vows, praying the Liturgy etc., and they are all legitimate, even the ones that don't suit my tastes.
[/quote]

No, it's not 'my way'--it's Jesus' way. The quotes are from what is the clear indication of the Gospels, including the Beatitudes from the Sermon on the Mount.

I think that celebration has its place. However, you have to realize that the Adoratrice celebration featured is of postulants becoming novices. The second step. They could leave or be dismissed at any time. I think that the pomp and circumstance is a little premature.

Here's a celebration that I think has greater weight and is, to my mind, more in proportion. The Benedictines of Mary Queen of the Apostles were able finally to build and consecrate a monastery and with it, their 11 finally professed sisters were able to take solemn vows. Check out the 2010 Special Edition of their newsletters:

http://www.benedictinesofmary.org/page-archivednewsletters.html

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='jkaands' timestamp='1306688732' post='2247418']
No, it's not 'my way'--it's Jesus' way. The quotes are from what is the clear indication of the Gospels, including the Beatitudes from the Sermon on the Mount.

I think that celebration has its place. However, you have to realize that the Adoratrice celebration featured is of postulants becoming novices. The second step. They could leave or be dismissed at any time. I think that the pomp and circumstance is a little premature.

Here's a celebration that I think has greater weight and is, to my mind, more in proportion. The Benedictines of Mary Queen of the Apostles were able finally to build and consecrate a monastery and with it, their 11 finally professed sisters were able to take solemn vows. Check out the 2010 Special Edition of their newsletters:

[url="http://www.benedictinesofmary.org/page-archivednewsletters.html"]http://www.benedicti...ewsletters.html[/url]
[/quote]

If you look at the links, it appears that at the same ceremony, several novices took their first vows. So, the ceremony was for something like 10 sisters.

And, as Lillibett said, the sisters themselves do not live in opulence, but are rehabbing an old house as their monastery.

Since I do not live in Italy, and I know very little about this Order, I don't feel it's my place to make judgements about how they serve God. Perhaps the ceremony was because the service was presided over by a Cardinal. And, the church is obviously old. If the church is there, why not use it?

One thing that "I" was impressed by was that I have never seen so many semnarians in my life. I couldn't tell if they were members of the Order, studying to be priests, or if they were diocescan seminarians. But, either way, to have so many semnarians, and something like 10 young women pursuing vocations is a sign of God working, IMO.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

faithcecelia

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1306703325' post='2247494']
One thing that "I" was impressed by was that I have never seen so many semnarians in my life. I couldn't tell if they were members of the Order, studying to be priests, or if they were diocescan seminarians. But, either way, to have so many semnarians, and something like 10 young women pursuing vocations is a sign of God working, IMO.
[/quote]

:nunpray: :priest: :clapping:

organwerke

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1306703325' post='2247494']
If you look at the links, it appears that at the same ceremony, several novices took their first vows. So, the ceremony was for something like 10 sisters.

And, as Lillibett said, the sisters themselves do not live in opulence, but are rehabbing an old house as their monastery.

Since I do not live in Italy, and I know very little about this Order, I don't feel it's my place to make judgements about how they serve God. Perhaps the ceremony was because the service was presided over by a Cardinal. And, the church is obviously old. If the church is there, why not use it?

[/quote]

I live in Italy, at about 1 hour and half from these sisters. First of all, I can completely confirm what Luigi said, that Italy is a country only traditionally or culturally catholic, but the reality is that liturgies are usually a pity and people are not truly catholic in facts. I found much much much more devotion and faith in France for example than in Italy.
This said, I've visited these sisters in Italy and first of all I can say that there were so many seminarians because there is a big seminary (of the same order) just next the sisters.
The place where they live (consider that, even if they are in Italy, I think that if not all, almost all the nuns and the priests are not Italian) is usually considered a bit "trendy" by strangers and...maybe also a little "snob"...I don't know, it reminds me the atmosphere of the Film "A Room with a View" to give the idea (btw it is my favourite film ever).
I didn't visit the nun's monastery inside (the time for visits is really short, from 4 pm to 4:30 pm if I don't recall wrong) and I was not able to go when I went on my little trip there.
The lanscape you can see from the villa (where there is the seminary you can see in the pictures) is something wonderful (I am mad for this landscapes I see every time I go to Florence or Pistoia or Siena in Tuscany) and I have to say that probably the neighbours are quite rich or at least well-off, but, anyway, the whole thing is not so exaggerate considering that the institute where the cerimony took place is a very big seminary where live and study seminarians of the order from all over the world. I do not know the history of the villa, but I guess that the Institue received it as a donation from some rich lady, and, anyway, in this part of Tuscany there are lots of villas of this kind, but most of them need lots of repair and I know (I have seen it with my own eyes ) that the seminary, and also the monastery of the nuns, were repaired by the seminarians themselves.
So, what I want to say is that, beside the impresion of royalty and solemnity fro the occasion, the whole normal day life is not so higher or different compared to many other orders. Nonetheless, I can't deny there is a sort of "smell" of sophistication in the air and this is the reason for I can say that, even if I like it, definitely, this is not my cup of tea!

[quote name='organwerke' timestamp='1306845993' post='2248110']
I live in Italy, at about 1 hour and half from these sisters. First of all, I can completely confirm what Luigi said, that Italy is a country only traditionally or culturally catholic, but the reality is that liturgies are usually a pity and people are not truly catholic in facts. I found much much much more devotion and faith in France for example than in Italy.
This said, I've visited these sisters in Italy and first of all I can say that there were so many seminarians because there is a big seminary (of the same order) just next the sisters.
The place where they live (consider that, even if they are in Italy, I think that if not all, almost all the nuns and the priests are not Italian) is usually considered a bit "trendy" by strangers and...maybe also a little "snob"...I don't know, it reminds me the atmosphere of the Film "A Room with a View" to give the idea (btw it is my favourite film ever).
I didn't visit the nun's monastery inside (the time for visits is really short, from 4 pm to 4:30 pm if I don't recall wrong) and I was not able to go when I went on my little trip there.
The landscape you can see from the villa (where there is the seminary you can see in the pictures) is something wonderful (I am mad for this landscapes I see every time I go to Florence or Pistoia or Siena in Tuscany) and I have to say that probably the neighbours are quite rich or at least well-off, but, anyway, the whole thing is not so exaggerated considering that the institute where the ceremony took place is a very big seminary where live and study seminarians of the order from all over the world. I do not know the history of the villa, but I guess that the Institute received it as a donation from some rich lady, and, anyway, in this part of Tuscany there are lots of villas of this kind, but most of them need lots of repair and I know (I have seen it with my own eyes ) that the seminary, and also the monastery of the nuns, were repaired by the seminarians themselves.
So, what I want to say is that, beside the impression of royalty and solemnity from the occasion, the whole normal day life is not so higher or different compared to many other orders. Nonetheless, I can't deny there is a sort of "smell" of sophistication in the air and this is the reason for I can say that, even if I like it, definitely, this is not my cup of tea!
[/quote]

OW, you and I are not often on the same side of the fence, but we are on this one. I, too, have smelled something behind all of this, namely money, and lots of it. Not just the nice baroque church nothing wrong with that ( I love baroque churches)--but the vestments, lace, color-coordinated birettas and capes, the cloaks with the frogs, the nuns' beautiful capes--all designed to make a big impression.

The chapel in their Swiss foundation is very simple and elegant by comparison.