An Old School Catholic Message Board

Adorers Of The Royal Heart Of Jesus Christ Sovereign Priest

Jennifer

[quote name='jkaands' timestamp='1306851360' post='2248138']
OW, you and I are not often on the same side of the fence, but we are on this one. I, too, have smelled something behind all of this, namely money, and lots of it. Not just the nice baroque church nothing wrong with that ( I love baroque churches)--but the vestments, lace, color-coordinated birettas and capes, the cloaks with the frogs, the nuns' beautiful capes--all designed to make a big impression.

The chapel in their Swiss foundation is very simple and elegant by comparison.
[/quote]

It is not impossible that the fabric for the habits was donated by a benefactor. You can also pick up polyester satin (which I think is what the cape fabric is, it's hard to tell from photographs), very cheaply on eBay. A quick search found it for sale for between $4 and $8 the yard. Plain white cotton for the novice veils can be had for $1 a yard.

People donate things for the Church because they believe that God deserves the best. The "Tomb for Lady Poverty" was paid for by a very small number of wealthy individuals because they felt that a throne for our Eucharistic King deserved the very best that they could provide.

And birettas are colour co-ordinated because the different colours mean different things. A red silk biretta signals that the wearer is a cardinal, an amaranth one indicates a bishop, a black one equals a priest, deacon, or seminarian. Some orders of Canons Regular wear the biretta, usually in a colour that matches their habit - the Premonstratians wear a white biretta, as an example.

I make lace. I've donated it to the church before now. There are cloistered nuns whose life's work was the creating of a set of vestments for a church.

Frogs are not expensive - a few bucks each. [url=http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd38006]Frog[/url] [url=http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd1037392]for sale[/url] [url=http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd38007]at JoAnns[/url]: $2.50- $4

Cloaks do require a lot of fabric, but are [i]extremely[/i] easy to make. I've made 5-7 myself, IIRC. One of the easiest/quickest beginner sewing projects would be to make a nice cape without a hood. The only measurement required is back of the neck to ankle (ie, a person's height).

I understand the feeling of opulence, though. I'm just suggesting that frogs not be the basis of that, as they are generally cheaper than nice buttons. They are more an indication of pageantry, as cloaks and frogs are no longer part of day to day clothing, and are more associated with costumes and bygone days.

Edited by MithLuin

[quote name='rosamundi' timestamp='1306871750' post='2248272']
There are cloistered nuns whose life's work was the creating of a set of vestments for a church.
[/quote]

I believe the intention is that the community will work in the creation and repair of vestments, once they finish renovating their convent. The building, looking at the photos, was in a truly awful state when they acquired it.

Lilllabettt

For a good discussion of externals and how they shouldn't be used to judge religious life, see Sr. Marie's thread [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=113114"]here[/url]

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1306676553' post='2247365']
Why do people cling to such such rigid ideas about what religious life should look like???

When they built the Shrine in Alabama, the one attached to Mother Angelica's community, some people complained about its "opulence." I remember one famous priest calling it the "Tomb of Lady Poverty." I can see his point because these are Poor Clares! But the reality is the community does not live in the Shrine. They live in the Monastery, which is very simple. They worship the King of Kings in the Shrine - it is His palace and they gave Him the best.

The Sisters pictured here are not Franciscans; their Salesian spirituality emphasizes simplicity of spirit, not corporal poverty. They are also Benedictine, with a strong, special emphasis on celebrating the Liturgy in all its majesty. This is their charism, their particular gift of the Spirit to the Church.

If its not your cup of tea, fine! But why suggest that one way of doing things is the "right" way?

Its such a stiff and rigid way of thinking!
[/quote]

Well said!

organwerke

I wish these sisters may grow in religious life and persevere all their life!

Edited by organwerke

• 2 months later...

Mother Marie of the Love of God was sent to St. Louis to establish a foundation of their community here in the US. If you could have seen the pictures of what shape the convent was in that was given to this community and the work that Mother did almost single handedly, you would see a different side from the opulence to which you are opposed. Mother was sent here to see if this climate would be better for her health; however, she became quite ill here and returned to France, as I understand it. There has been no word as to her return or about the establishment of a foundation for the nuns here in the US. They also have a foundation in Ireland. Pray for Mother Marie of the Love of God, please.

The "mother house" in Gricgliano [sp?] Italy was in absolutely terrible shape -- really just an abandoned husk of a building -- when it was given to the nuns and they have been working ever since to make it habitable. For over a year they have been appealing for funds just to be able to install the proper plumbing which Italian building codes demand for a residential building.

This whole question of "opulence" is an interesting one. In my own faith, there is the concept of "hiddur mitzvah". The word mitzvah means both a good deed and a commandment. Embellishing the performance of a mitzvah -- for example, using a special cup made of silver or gold rather than an ordinary glass to make the blessing over wine which is done prior to the evening meal on Friday nights [the Sabbath] -- is regarded as praiseworthy. From a religious point of view, it is the blessing and the wine which is important, not the vessel, but making an effort increases the "specialness" of the occasion. The nuns, as I understand it, are personally poor, yet, for the glory of God, are creating a physically, as well as spiritually, beautiful atmosphere in which to worship. The entire history of the Church is replete with works of art and music which do this as well. Many convents and monasteries contain items which are intrinsically very valuable as art, but to the religious the main value is spiritual rather than financial.

InPersonaChriste

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZIvg_I3yHx0/Srjz0WybHGI/AAAAAAAAFHA/IQNJNCbx8bw/s400/carm3.jpg[/img]

[size=2]Souer Marie de l'Amour de Dieu of the Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus Christ Sovereign Priest at prayer.[/size]

[img]http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/3/d1/264/3d126404-eaac-5bd3-b206-f428b4af432a.image.jpg[/img]

Article Here: [url="http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/faith-and-values/article_8010f8dc-fa5f-5045-8b54-4c9f9061c840.html"]http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/faith-and-values/article_8010f8dc-fa5f-5045-8b54-4c9f9061c840.html[/url]

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1314428183' post='2295752']
The "mother house" in Gricgliano [sp?] Italy was in absolutely terrible shape -- really just an abandoned husk of a building -- when it was given to the nuns and they have been working ever since to make it habitable. For over a year they have been appealing for funds just to be able to install the proper plumbing which Italian building codes demand for a residential building.

This whole question of "opulence" is an interesting one. In my own faith, there is the concept of "hiddur mitzvah". The word mitzvah means both a good deed and a commandment. Embellishing the performance of a mitzvah -- for example, using a special cup made of silver or gold rather than an ordinary glass to make the blessing over wine which is done prior to the evening meal on Friday nights [the Sabbath] -- is regarded as praiseworthy. From a religious point of view, it is the blessing and the wine which is important, not the vessel, but making an effort increases the "specialness" of the occasion. The nuns, as I understand it, are personally poor, yet, for the glory of God, are creating a physically, as well as spiritually, beautiful atmosphere in which to worship. The entire history of the Church is replete with works of art and music which do this as well. Many convents and monasteries contain items which are intrinsically very valuable as art, but to the religious the main value is spiritual rather than financial.
[/quote]

This was a beautiful post. Thank you!

• 8 months later...

In reply to those who criticize the orders 'opulence,' I can see where you are coming from. And to the guy who kept quoting Jesus as saying 'Be poor be poor be poor.' Amen to you!

BUT though Jesus came as a servant on the earth, he is a Royal King today in Heaven, and the Sisters are choosing to marry the Royal King Jesus, as opposed to Franciscan Sisters marrying the impoverished Jesus. Both are truly Jesus.

Also, we must remember that the order would be hard pressed to find a less lavish church for the profession ceremonies in Italy! These sisters probably eat and sleep far less than you do, and generally live in worse conditions than you. Look at the plank in your own eye before you criticize young women who have given up all--families, fortune, careers, etc--though it may not be your cup of tea.

Be careful of the way you criticize religious. Until you are wearing the holy habit, it is not our job to 'correct' people who have denounced all so they can marry Jesus.