An Old School Catholic Message Board

Intercessors Of The Lamb Suppressed By Archbishop Lucas

the_rev

Some of you might be familiar with the intercessors of the lamb, the big news to hid the web this evening is that Archbishop Lucas as suppressed the religious community; stripping them of their Catholic identity.

Read more here: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/omaha-archbishop-shuts-down-intercessors-of-the-lamb/

Here is the Bishop's Statement of Suppression: http://www.archomaha.org/newsevents/pdf/SuppressionRelease.pdf

Edited by the_rev

The thread for this group is [url=http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=96593]HERE[/url].

I am slightly amused that there is an archbishop named George Lucas.

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1287199182' post='2179921']
The thread for this group is [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=96593"]HERE[/url].

I am slightly amused that there is an archbishop named George Lucas.
[/quote]

My prayers for the former members of the community for I am sure they are now suffering deeply an identity as well as a vocational crisis.

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1287208791' post='2179934']
My prayers for the former members of the community for I am sure they are now suffering deeply an identity as well as a vocational crisis.
[/quote]

Very good and an important point you have raised. I am keeping them in prayer also.

God bless - Barb

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1287208791' post='2179934']
[/quote]

Definitely. As the report pointed out, there were some quite serious issues within the community ("illegitimate and irreverent custody of the Blessed Sacrament" & "a flawed understanding of prayer and
spiritual discernment" were a couple that struck me), so hopefully this will bring them closer to God. On a flawed path you can only get so far... but it's good to know the Archdiocese is providing for their needs in this transition & recognizes that many joined to do the Lord's work.

Very difficult situation. Prayers.

It does seem rather sudden, to go from an investigation, and a mother superior who cooperated by stepping down just a week or so ago when instructed to....to complete suppression of the order. Clearly, I am not understanding how the process works. Refusing to cooperate with your bishop will get you in trouble...but I am confused as to just precisely who failed to cooperate. A lay group? Like, a board of directors?

Their website is down atm. I certainly hope the situation is resolved soon, for the people who have been with this group for nearly 12 years. I know it could happen in any group, but I guess there is always an added risk with a brand new group.

Edited by MithLuin

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1287237070' post='2179966']
It does seem rather sudden, to go from an investigation, and a mother superior who cooperated by stepping down just a week or so ago when instructed to....to complete suppression of the order. Clearly, I am not understanding how the process works. Refusing to cooperate with your bishop will get you in trouble...but I am confused as to just precisely who failed to cooperate. A lay group? Like, a board of directors?

Their website is down atm. I certainly hope the situation is resolved soon, for the people who have been with this group for nearly 12 years. I know it could happen in any group, but I guess there is always an added risk with a brand new group.
[/quote]

My concern is for those who have been in for 8-9 years or so, what will they do? How long does the diocese intend to take care of them?

There was an elderly woman in St. Pete who took vows as a consecrated virgin that this had happened to. She had been a member of an order that fell apart or something, and still worked her same job as a nurse, living with the same sister she had before, and did so for 40+ years. She still considered herself a nun, she just didn't have an order.

From the information released by the Archdiocese, The Intercessors of the Lamb is a convoluted organization made of a strong lay section holding the strings (probably of economic and financial aspects, and maybe organizational), and a religious group who wanted to advance their religious status withing the Church towards maturity.

The first group made of lay people (they probably are in charge of money, properties, etc. etc) don't want to even see the Archbishop.

The religious group were cooperating with Church authority, but obviously were not independent from the lay group; besides they were in need of straightening things -serious flaws according to the findings of the canonical visitation- The archbishop is providing for all 48 of them to help with a transition[size="2"] (this must be a personal choice of the members, maybe there were more members who are not among the 48) [/size]. This sounds to me like a very pastoral and responsible attitude of the Archbishop, and also shows that these religious people are choosing the side of the Church instead of the side of the lay leaders of their Organization, at the price of losing their status, their convents or hermitages, and everything. If this is the case (and I'm understanding it correctly) I think it's to be outlined as a good already coming out of the crisis.

As it has already been said before, let us pray for them all, that the Spirit will continue to guide Archbishop Lucas in his effort to help these women and men respond to their desire for growth at the service of the Church.
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/nunpray.gif[/img]

Praying for the Intercessors... ive had some amazing retreats with them I agree that obedience is a sign of the presence of the Holy Spirit.

I cant assume that they must be bad then because how many times in Church history did new orders or charisms have to go through purification and the founders even through persecutions: St. Louis de Montfort, Divine Mercy and St. Faustina, Padre Pio, I think St. JOhn of the Cross and Teresa of Avila....

I'll be praying for them too. I guess when they did further digging into the community ,they found some iregularities.Mother Nadine their foundress stepped down when asked to by the bishop.However it was the lay group, a board of directors who would not obey Bishop Lucas,not the religious members.

I'm glad the diocese is going to help these good men and women out. I think the bishop ought to ask all the religious members, men and women if they wish to remain in the religious life,and if so, have they thought about what communites they might wish to join.Or maybe after talking to them and much prayer, he could take these religious and form them as a new community,maybe calling them Servants of Jesus,the Lamb of God, and change the habit color,and give them someone to run the show,even maybe find someone in the group who has leadership ability and have someone give that person guidance.If the lay group hadn't been so pigheaded and at least heard the bishop out and listend to his instructions maybe this might never have occured.Seems to have happend awful fast.Maybe they could be even organized as a secular institute or something.

[url="http://www.omaha.com/article/20101019/NEWS01/710199885"]Former IOL Hermits speak up[/url]

Thank you cmariadiaz for comforting me in this time of pain and distress. God loves you.

and for phatmassers, thank God I didn't read any harsh comments from you. Phatmass is really great, God-loving, faith-filled community.

Edited by tnavarro61

[url="http://catholicvoiceomaha.com/main.asp?SectionID=9&SubSectionID=9&ArticleID=14559&TM=36817.66"]Another touching article[/url]

Edited by tnavarro61

I really do hope the remaining communiy members are able to discern a way to continue their work as religious. May God continue to guide them. I pray for those who are resisting obedience to the Archbishop, that they see the light of truth.