An Old School Catholic Message Board

Intercessors Of The Lamb Suppressed By Archbishop Lucas

the_rev

So ... I thought Nadine Brown was co-operating with the diocese? Apparently, according to t's second link, she is not?

Such a traumatic experience. It really is a leap of faith to join, any religious community, but a new community especially. May God reward their trust in Him.

Someone asked how many members of the group have taken up the Archdiocese's offer of a place to stay and how many have declined. There are about 10-11 who are not part of the group of ~50 who moved to the retreat center; one of those 11 is Mother Nadine, who is staying in a motel (she did not remain at the campus, as one of the articles posted above speculated).

I imagine that the actions of the bishop and the board can be seen as a power struggle, which is certainly not as it should be. I hope that the situation can be resolved so that the former members can live out their charism in an authentic way. It seems the Archdiocese has appointed new leaders of the group, so they aren't actually planning to disband or scatter them (it would appear). That's...encouraging.

[quote name='Shana' timestamp='1287500340' post='2180682']
I have a dear friend who entered with them and was a novice before they were disbanded. Pray for Sean.
[/quote]
Oh, yes, Brother Simon Mary. He belongs to the 48. Well, yes of course, since only one brother was with Nadine Brown.

Please help them if you can. Please. Please.

This sounds promising, praised be God.
Let us continue praying for them.

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1287495429' post='2180655']
[url="http://www.omaha.com/article/20101019/NEWS01/710199885"]Former IOL Hermits speak up[/url]
[/quote]

since someone posted this information, i think it's already okay for you guys to know this news. please pray for these Sisters. They are my mothers.
[url="http://forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=7181634&postcount=25"]Catholic Answers post[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Some questions were raised on this thread about the actions of the foundress of the Order after its suppression. She has since put out an official message on the website. It would seem that she is reverting back to a public association of the faithful as a group of laity not in vows. Which sounds like obedience. But...there is also a 'we're going to keep going' vibe that is a bit troubling, since the "Inc" group that she is currently connected with was the civil group that refused to meet with the bishop. I don't understand all of this, but it sounds as though the group still needs prayers.

http://www.bellwetheromaha.org/

[quote]Dear Bellwether Companions of the Lamb and friends,

May the joy and peace of the Lamb of God and His mother Mary be with all of you!

Please know that I have personally received all of your heartfelt messages of support sent to me via phone, mail and our new e-mail address, bellwetherlambs@gmail.com. I can’t tell you how wonderful it has been to be the recipient of your intercession! “Through the Gift we have freely received, we now give freely.” And it is through this charismatic gift of the Spirit, we continue to commit to live as victims of God’s most merciful Love for the salvation of souls. This sacrificial Love invites us to enter into the Paschal mystery through the spirit of the Beatitudes and makes it a living reality in our lives. “If you but knew the Gift of God!” Jn. 4

First and foremost, I want everyone to know that I have always been obedient to the local Archbishop and to the Church. Obedience has been and continues to be a hallmark of our charism as reflected in the Lamb of God Himself. Also, by virtue of our Baptism, all of us individually are Catholic. (It is the Association of Hermit Intercessors that has been suppressed.) As Catholic Laity and as priestly people, we continue to participate in the intercessory mission of the Lamb.

Archbishop Lucas has stated in his news release of October 15, 2010 “Of course, Catholic faithful are always welcome, in virtue of their Baptism, to associate together and to pray. I would encourage those companions and associates to continue to pray for the former vowed members of the Intercessor community, for the Church, and for the needs of the world.” This means that your prayer groups are able to continue to gather together for intercession. Please let us know if you would like us to continue visitations to your groups.

As you know, Companions have never made vows; however, many of you have made promises to live in the spirit of the Beatitudes as taught by Jesus in His Sermon on the Mount. Since the Companions have never been part of the Public Association of the Hermit Intercessors of the Lamb, the suppression of the Public Association of the Hermit Intercessors of the Lamb does not mean that this extends to you as Companions. All of us continue to be called to transforming union with the Lamb Who was slain (Rev. 5:12), and we renew our Baptismal vocation in a consecration of “New Covenant” Love, witnessing to an intensity of life where union of heart and mind continually engage in His ministry of intercession, seeking to “prepare the way of the Lord” (Is. 40:3, Heb. 7:22, 25; Heb. 8:6; Heb 12:24).

Many of you have also inquired about the civil corporation. The civil corporation, Intercessors of the Lamb, Inc., is a separate legal entity than the former Association of Hermit Intercessors of the Lamb and has always functioned as such, as an independent civil corporation, which owns and manages the property and other business affairs associated with supporting the mission and charism. On September 30th, when Archbishop Lucas asked me to resign as the General Director of the Public Association of the Hermit Intercessors of the Lamb, I was also asked to resign from the office of President of the civil corporation and from its Board of Directors. I obeyed both of these requests.

It is important to note that the civil corporation, which remains a non-profit corporation in the State of Nebraska, has been in existence since 1980, a full twelve years before the Hermits were recognized as a Private Association of the Faithful, and eighteen years before the Public Association of the Hermit Intercessors of the Lamb was erected by Archbishop Curtiss. Intercessors of the Lamb, Inc., is a 501 (c)(3) (tax exempt) corporation, separate from the Catholic church. On page 2 of the original Form 1023 Application for Recognition of Exemption, it states, “The organization was formed in response to the need to call persons to the experience of prayer and contemplative solitude, in the midst of the complexities, haste, and multiple demands imposed upon the individual by contemporary society.” Since the mission remains the same as is stated in the original exempt application, all of your contributions to Intercessors of the Lamb, Inc. continue to be tax deductible.

Also, many of you have inquired into ordering books and tapes. You may call

(402) 455-0188 beginning Monday, November 1, 2010 between the hours of noon and 4:00 p.m. C.S.T.

We continue to welcome your prayer requests and your requests for discernment.

In closing, I wish to thank you again for your love and prayerful support and I pray with Mary, Mother of the Lamb, we may be fruitful in bearing witness to Her Crucified Son, so that the “wealth of His glorious heritage may be distributed among the members of the Church through the immeasurable scope of His power in us who believe.” (Eph. 1:18; 1 Pt. 4:10)

May God bless all of you!

In loving gratitude,

Your Bellwether Foundress and Companion of the Lamb[/quote]

For information on those members who have left the group and been obedient to the Archdiocese, check out [url=http://www.archomaha.org/newsevents/intercessors.html]this page[/url] by the Archdiocese of Omaha. This seems to be the response to her announcement that 'all is well and we just keep going forward.'

[quote]Omaha Archbishop George J. Lucas used a Church procedure on Friday, October 15, 2010 to shut down the Association of the Hermit Intercessors of the Lamb, a contemplative, intercessory, and mixed (lay men, women, and clerics) public association of hermits.

Lucas suppressed the Catholic association after a majority of lay directors of the Intercessors of the Lamb, Inc., the association’s civil corporation, impeded him from exercising his legitimate governance of the association and providing pastoral solicitude for professed members. More information regarding the act of suppression can be found by following the links below.

Public worship and the celebration of the sacraments are prohibited on land owned by the Intercessors of the Lamb, Inc., a Nebraska corporation. Priests and deacons are forbidden from ministering at the property. Donors are advised that contributions to the Intercessors of the Lamb, Inc., will not go to support a Catholic organization. Moreover, the vows of former association members ceased at the moment of suppression. Catholics worldwide are encouraged to refrain from participating in Intercessors-sponsored activity.

Those who wish to support approximately fifty of the former members who are now being cared for by the Archdiocese of Omaha can send donations for this specific purpose to: Intercessor Relief, c/o Archdiocese of Omaha, 100 N. 62nd St., Omaha, NE 68132. Checks should be made payable to the “Archdiocese of Omaha” with a notation made in the memo field for "Intercessor Relief."[/quote]

[quote]October 29, 2010

To the Former Lay Companions of the Intercessors of the Lamb

Lay companions and prayer groups of the former Intercessors of the Lamb should discontinue using all manuals, books and other materials published by the former Intercessors of the Lamb community and discontinue all discernment ministries. One of the tasks given to the Archbishop of Omaha’s trustee was to review the teachings and resources authored by Nadine Brown for theological accuracy and conformity to the teaching Magisterium of the Catholic Church. As a result of the suppression, this review has not taken place. It is therefore not possible to state that the teachings of Nadine Brown are free of doctrinal error. Moreover, lay companions should understand that the former Association of the Hermit Intercessors of the Lamb received canonical recognition in 1992 and 1998 from the Church; however, the companion group – the Intercessors of the Lamb – never received canonical recognition from the Church.[/quote]

One of the 'issues' found is a bit unique/bizarre - [url=http://catholicvoiceomaha.com/main.asp?SectionID=9&SubSectionID=9&ArticleID=14593&TM=61569.5]aiding a fugitive[/url].

Edited by MithLuin

Your right, that is worrisome.All this does is make the Catholic public wonder what else went on that the diocese isn't telling us. Sad really sad.Also, I thought the group WAS called Intercessors of the Lamb,period.It mentions them, but says the HERMIT Intercessors of the Lamb had canonical approval in 1992 and 1998.Just got me confused.
I just know one thing iif I ever started a religious community, never have a lay board invovled with the project. Still don't under stand that part either.

Yes it is really complicated.

IOL is made up of Hermit Intercessors of the Lamb and Companion Intercessors of the Lamb. Hermit took the vows, Companions don't.

I've seen other communities having that lay board things and I could understand somehow, but I couldn't put it in words right now.

This is the latest update [url="http://archomaha.org/newsevents/pdf/Companion_Letter.pdf"]to Companions and Friends[/url]

God bless you.

I apologize for raising this question here, but I am confused.

I came across this picture in a blog posting about the Intercessors of the Lamb:

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zlVyJzWOgIY/TLlFgUr3J2I/AAAAAAAABiE/t-6qh2ug7Ew/s1600/Intercessors.jpg[/img]

As you can see, there are children wearing the habit. This struck me as rather...bizarre and unsettling. I realize there is a lay group (the Companions), and I could see families being part of that. But...why would a child wear a habit (other than as a Halloween costume)? I am not surprised that a child would want to dress like her mother. I just...what is going [i]on[/i] here?!

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1289340115' post='2186033']
I apologize for raising this question here, but I am confused.

I came across this picture in a blog posting about the Intercessors of the Lamb:

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zlVyJzWOgIY/TLlFgUr3J2I/AAAAAAAABiE/t-6qh2ug7Ew/s1600/Intercessors.jpg[/img]

As you can see, there are children wearing the habit. This struck me as rather...bizarre and unsettling. I realize there is a lay group (the Companions), and I could see families being part of that. But...why would a child wear a habit (other than as a Halloween costume)? I am not surprised that a child would want to dress like her mother. I just...what is going [i]on[/i] here?!
[/quote]

yep very strange. Now is this recent? Is this the group that stayed behind or the group that went with the bishop?

i am quite hesitant to speak about this topic, because I am trying to move on from all these painful experiences and besides it's all over now.. i would like to explain somethings in connection with the picture.

I was a Lay Companion. The lay Companions used to wear habits. I do not know how that looks like because when I came to the community, it's been a long time since the Companions have discarded the habits. So, during the suppression, the Companions didn't wear habits. Now I do not know if the kids there are wearing a costume or the discarded habit. On the far left you could see a lady in white sweater, whom I suppose is a Companion, she's not in habit.

I could identify who's who here, but I won't reveal which one obeyed the bishop, and which one which stayed with Nadine Brown for their privacy sake. But be rest assured that all Intercessor priests obeyed the Bishop. You could see their names at the link i provided before MithLuin's post.

The obedient (to the bishop) members are starting up a website, [url="www.intercessorrelief.com"]www.intercessorrelief.com[/url] Please pray for them

Unfortunately, Nadine Brown continued her ministry which is declared not Catholic, and quite unorthodox. :pinch: We received a letter that we must avoid her website (I think it's in my link).

Pray for all those involved.

God bless you.

tnavarro

Edited by tnavarro61

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1289376944' post='2186153']
i am quite hesitant to speak about this topic, because I am trying to move on from all these painful experiences and besides it's all over now.. i would like to explain somethings in connection with the picture.

I was a Lay Companion. The lay Companions used to wear habits. I do not know how that looks like because when I came to the community, it's been a long time since the Companions have discarded the habits. So, during the suppression, the Companions didn't wear habits. Now I do not know if the kids there are wearing a costume or the discarded habit. On the far left you could see a lady in white sweater, whom I suppose is a Companion, she's not in habit.

I could identify who's who here, but I won't reveal which one obeyed the bishop, and which one which stayed with Nadine Brown for their privacy sake. But be rest assured that all Intercessor priests obeyed the Bishop. You could see their names at the link i provided before MithLuin's post.

The obedient (to the bishop) members are starting up a website, www.intercessorrelief.com Please pray for them

Unfortunately, Nadine Brown continued her ministry which is declared not Catholic, and quite unorthodox. :pinch: We received a letter that we must avoid her website (I think it's in my link).

Pray for all those involved.

God bless you.

tnavarro
[/quote]

Thanks for the info Navarro. I still don't understand the lay companions wearing the habit though. I guess I try to think of it as third order members but I have never seen a community/order where their lay members/third order wear the habit.

In any event, they are all in my prayers. Especially those who are not obedient to the Bishop. May the Lord guide them to the truth.