An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's In Your Breviary?

TeresaBenedicta

TeresaBenedicta

I was thinking this might be a fun little thing to share... Most people stick holy cards, special notes, pictures of loved ones, etc in their breviaries. Sometimes I think you can tell a lot about a person just by what's in their breviary. So, for those of you who pray the office, even sometimes, what's in your breviary?

Great idea!

A picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe, an index card with reminders of spiritual insights from retreats and/or prayer, assorted other holy cards that are mainly used as bookmarks. Not really very much at all since I just recently started praying LOTH again and I took all the stuff I had accumulated out and decided to start fresh.

Oh wow.

What does it mean that I don't have [i]anything[/i] in there? Besides, of course, the ribbons to mark the places.

I use holy cards if needed to mark my spots for the Office I'm praying, but then I take them out & put them in a nice pile nearby.

:huh:

Hinter dem Horizont

I have a Benedictine Monastic Breviary and will be buying a Gregorian Missal tonight, from Amazon.

I have some cards from the Year For Priests in my Breviary. I actually LOVE collecting Religious cards. I have ones of Jesus, Mary, and my favourite is a St.Patrick one.

I have a card of our lady of guadalupe; a hail mary prayer card, a st. Michael Card... Now I have to go back and check. I have a couple (It also depends on the volume) I have cards that I switch book to book and some cards that are specific to a particular volume.

This is a very amusing question... Let's see... I have a small collection of reflections from the magnificat in the front, a letter from my parents, a couple special prayer cards from my time in Europe, an examination of conscience, a a special clipping from the newspaper, some prayer intentions from WYD Australia, some more special prayer cards (gifts, etc), several pages of notebook stuff ... and probably more that I missed.

I agree. The contents of a breviary probably say a lot about a person. :dance:I'm so glad mine has a leather case. lol

LadyOfSorrows

"Prayer to the Trinity," by Bl. Elizabethof the Trinity, a prayer card for the souls in purgatory, prayer to the Holy Face, and a funeral card for Fr. Dubay. There's also a poem my Godmother gave to me...

LaPetiteSoeur

Everything..

Actually, I've been getting better about not keeping everything in there. There's a St. Catherine Laboure prayer card, a prayer my friend's mom wrote, a prayer to Mary for purity, one of a laughing Jesus, possibly one with a relic of St. Faustina.

And there's always more. I try to change out the holy cards every once in a while. There's actually a box full of holy cards in my room, waiting for their turn in the breviary!

TeresaBenedicta

Since I asked...

I also have the prayer of St. Elizabeth of the Trinity to the Trinity, a small bookmark made by my best friend that says "Refuse Him [u]Nothing[/u], a post-card from Ars sent to me by a Deacon friend offering special prayers for me, a picture of my grandmother, and a holy card from my great-grandmother's funeral (whom I didn't know was Catholic until after I entered the Church).

In my smaller New Testament/Psalms, I have a piece of paper that has listed on it some intentions that I took with me on a pilgrimage last year. Every single one of my intentions were answered in amazing ways, so I keep it with me as a sign of thanksgiving to Our Lady and as a reminder of her power.

I have a lot of prayer cards in mine but my favorite thing is a few pressed petals from the flowers on the altar at my Profession of Vows[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/nunpray.gif[/img].

[i]edit for bad grammar![/i]

Edited by Sister Marie

cmotherofpirl

Interesting question :) the front and back covers and the first 40 pages of mine have prayers cards and medals taped to them. I use large religious bookmarkers for my current pages, and in the back I have all the prayer cards from the funerals of the last year. If a psalm has a response on a different day I have copied them so I don't have to keep referring back. If you look at the propers of the saints, I have the death dates of all the members of my family and friends inked in so I can say the office of the dead on the right dates and not forget anyone. Getting a new book at this point would be a daunting prospect.

Holy card for St. Faustina to mark the song in the back (I have the one volume Christian Prayer), to remind me of my sister. I only pray LotH when I am with a group that is praying it or when my sister is on a home visit.

My Bible has more interesting additions. Among other things, an oak leaf I picked up on a retreat 10 years ago and stuck in Isaiah 53, and a scrap of paper with one line from an Old English poem: "Eala Earendel engla beorhtast, ofer middangeard monnum sended." ([i]Hail, Earendel, brightest of angels, over Middle Earth sent unto Men.[/i])

Edited by MithLuin

I have a prayer to spiritually adopt an unborn child in danger of abortion. Other than that and the ribbon markers... nope, nothing. Most of my holy cards are in a nice pile, or taped to the wall.

...is this supposed to reflect something about my character?

Other than the coloured ribbons for the Psalter Week, Office of Our Lady, and a couple of spares for the appropriate common if used, also a blank bank deposit slip (it stands out) of all things to mark the Introductory Psalm, Benedictus and the Magnificat - each on consecutive pages (I use the one volume Daily Prayer from The Divine Office), also I have made my own bookmark for the daily feastdays. This has been working for me for years now. My holy cards are all in my Daily and Sunday Missals.

God bless - Barb