An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pcpa Vows

DameAgnes

Totally Franciscan

Does anyone else see something very odd here? The last time I saw photos of this young woman on the St. Joseph Monastery website, less than a year ago, she was in street clothes. At that time, she was a dead ringer for Sr. Marie St. Anne, who had made profession at the Hanceville Monastery. It also might be Sr. Maria Magdalena, Sr. Marie St. Anne's blood sister. They look very similar, so I cannot tell which one it is. Sr. Marie St. Anne, as a postulant, has her vocation story on the internet. Take a look. I think it is the same person.

It can be neither. Both Srs. Marie Ste. Anne and Maria Magdalena were still in OLAM in Spring 2008... two years ago.

[url="http://www.olamshrine.com/newsletter/Spring%202008.pdf"]http://www.olamshrine.com/newsletter/Spring%202008.pdf[/url]

You need at least 4 years minimum to make final vows in any community.

[quote name='Totally Franciscan' timestamp='1290807499' post='2189419']
Does anyone else see something very odd here? The last time I saw photos of this young woman on the St. Joseph Monastery website, less than a year ago, she was in street clothes. At that time, she was a dead ringer for Sr. Marie St. Anne, who had made profession at the Hanceville Monastery. It also might be Sr. Maria Magdalena, Sr. Marie St. Anne's blood sister. They look very similar, so I cannot tell which one it is. Sr. Marie St. Anne, as a postulant, has her vocation story on the internet. Take a look. I think it is the same person.
[/quote]

Totally Franciscan

Well, Spring 2008 was almost three years ago, and I know things have changed drastically at OLAM. You will perhaps remember that Sr. Mary Catherine and Sr. Margaret Mary went on sebatical. That is going on at least a year and a half. There is a Benedictine nun as superior now and a Poor Clare as novice mistress.

So my point is that Sr. Mary Raphel, who just made profession, was pictured in street clothes in the community photos less than a year ago. They had taken those photos offline quite a while ago. I was surprised to see the photos again in a vocation paper I think for that diocese in North Carolina; I will have to research that. As you say, it takes a minimum of one year postulancy and two years novitiate before profession. I think it is entirely feasible that either Sr. Marie St. Anne or Sr. Maria Magdalena left for whatever reason and asked to enter at St. Joseph's Monastery. I think the original postulancy and novitiate would suffice in this instance and a short period of formation at St. Joseph's before profession.

Does anyone else have information on this?

Totally Franciscan

Compare the photo from Sr. Raphael's profession to the newsletter that Reminiscere posted with Sr. Marie St. Anne's photo. From my vantage point, they are identical. After seeing Sr. Maria Magdalena's photo, I don't think it is her in the profession photo.

Totally Franciscan

http://www.stjosephmonastery.com/newsletter_forms/April2010.pdf

This is the newsletter from Spring 2010. Sr. Mary Raphael is in none of the photos. I am still researching the vocation page with her photo.

Totally Franciscan, in charity to OLAM you're posting some information which most PM'ers might not even know... or should know...

[u]You missed my point[/u] - it takes according to the Code of Canon Law, no less than 4 years to be validly, finally professed - the canonical novitiate year and three years of temporary vows. Ergo - it cannot be either of the two sisters.

Also - and I will admit the possibility - even if the sister received an indult of transfer and professed under a different name, [u]it is no one's business except the sister herself and her community[/u].

Nosiness and asking impertinent questions, whether we realize it or not, will merit us nothing and serves no good purpose.

Totally Franciscan

http://www.charlottediocese.org/customers/101092709242178/filemanager/CNH%20Docs/CN_Com_Issue_08_06.pdf

I had no intention of being uncharitable. If you will review my posts, I said nothing uncharitable. I was pointing out the strange set of events with regard to this profession. Please see the August 6th edition of the Charlotte Diocese newspaper for photos. Also, that is Bishop Baker of the Birmingham Diocese in the Profession photo. Bishop Jugis is bishop of Charlotte Diocese.

Totally Franciscan

After thinking this over, Reminiscere is correct. None of this is any of my business. I apologize to everyone at Phatmas for sticking my nose someplace it does not below. I beg your forgiveness.

[quote name='Totally Franciscan' timestamp='1290827607' post='2189477']
[url="http://www.charlottediocese.org/customers/101092709242178/filemanager/CNH%20Docs/CN_Com_Issue_08_06.pdf"]http://www.charlotte...Issue_08_06.pdf[/url]

I had no intention of being uncharitable. If you will review my posts, I said nothing uncharitable. I was pointing out the strange set of events with regard to this profession. Please see the August 6th edition of the Charlotte Diocese newspaper for photos. Also, that is Bishop Baker of the Birmingham Diocese in the Profession photo. Bishop Jugis is bishop of Charlotte Diocese.
[/quote]

Maybe she transferred to help shore up the Charlotte monastery, which recently moved from Ohio after not getting any new professions in for-ev-er.

Hanceville is in some transition period after Mother Angelica's retirement, of course, and while I know nothing about any specifics, I do know that as a general rule such transitions are nearly always challenging. But still they had what, four new novices clothed over the summer? They're not hurting for new vocations.

And there's nothing wrong with transferring. Even Benedict, who put such emphasis on stability that it's one of the three Benedictine vows (stability, obedience, conversion of life) has provisions in the Rule for transferring from one monastery to another. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes it happens and it can be perfectly fine and good.

Or maybe it's someone else who looks remarkably similar.

Or who knows.

[quote name='reminiscere' timestamp='1290824366' post='2189461']
Totally Franciscan, in charity to OLAM you're posting some information which most PM'ers might not even know... or should know...

What's so wrong with being open and honest???

I see nothing uncharitable - intentionally or otherwise - about Totally Franciscan's posts. Clearly she is simply trying to put two and two together -- If A, and B, then how can C? Or maybe if A, and D, then C would make some sense. Totally Franciscan did not state or imply anything negative about St. Joseph's, Our Lady of the Angels, or the woman who made vows. Anyone who thinks she did is being overly sensitive.

In the absence of solid information - in this case, a published explanation from either monastery - people will try to make sense of a situation by piecing together the information they have. It's natural, it's human, it's not uncharitable.

No harm, no foul.

[quote name='reminiscere' timestamp='1290824589' post='2189463']
Also - and I will admit the possibility - even if the sister received an indult of transfer and professed under a different name, [u]it is no one's business except the sister herself and her community[/u].

[i]Aren't religioius vows public, the same as wedding vows, especially since they (both religious vows and marriage vows) are made within the context of Mass and Mass is a public celebration? I thought they were. In which case, who makes profession in which monastery is public information, worthy for all the church to know and celebrate.[/i]

Nosiness and asking impertinent questions, whether we realize it or not, will merit us nothing and serves no good purpose.
[/quote]

Edited by Luigi

[quote name='Totally Franciscan' timestamp='1290807499' post='2189419']
[/quote]
Yes, this was definitely Sr. Marie St. Anne, who was Sr. Allison as a postulant here ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKu7dYa1DoU

I think it's great she's in one of their foundations now, and was allowed to make her profession earlier as she was already professed at OLAM. Congratulations to her!