An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pcpa Vows

DameAgnes

I am sorry I posted this link, as it seems to have generated a lot of speculation, which was not my intent.

The transitional shift at OLAM has made a dramatic change to the community, and since no one actually knows anything for certain it seems busybodyish to carry on about it.

I am the first one to say I love hearing news about entrances, clothings and professions, but it seems to me in a case like this, which causes such speculation, the monastery should either take an opportunity to [i]educate[/i] people about how such things work or not make their announcement at all. Any other choice just gives rise to this sort of chatty wondering.

I am not being critical of PM'ers, either. I don't think anyone has been uncharitable. But running on so little information seems almost gossipy to me. In a convent there is "custody of the eyes..." We should try to have custody of our curiosity, perhaps. A thread like this might scare a monastery off from ever creating a blog, and that would be a loss to all of us and them, too.

Monastic bloggers need to know that sometimes their readers need to know how things work in a monastery. And monastic blog readers need to realize that they are actually not ENTITLED to know anything more than the monastery wants them to know.

Hmmm...a conundrum! :-)

[quote]"On November 21st, our aspirant Allison will be receiving the Holy Habit and her new name, as well as professing temporary Vows. Please keep her in your prayers as she prepares for this great day and stay tuned to hear the name that God has chosen for this new beginning in her life." [/quote]

- St. Joseph Monastery Newsletter, October 2010

I'm with Dame Agnes on this.
Not to offend anyone, since I too think that no one wanted to be uncharitable, and probably I too made gossip in past threads, but things like this thread are the reason for, if I had ever entered religious life, I wouldn't have discerned with those communities who have a blog and share "too many" informations publicly.

[quote name='organwerke' timestamp='1290895566' post='2189569']
I'm with Dame Agnes on this.
Not to offend anyone, since I too think that no one wanted to be uncharitable, and probably I too made gossip in past threads, but things like this thread are the reason for, if I had ever entered religious life, I wouldn't have discerned with those communities who have a blog and share "too many" informations publicly.
[/quote]

I think the distinction really is between a community that shares part of its life online but also make a true effort to educate its readers as to what the life is, why it is lived as it is, etc...for instance the way the Summit Dominicans and the Whitesville Passionists make a real effort to highlight particular practices or ceremonies--or (over time) explain what each particular prayer hour is like - these things are really helpful informationally, particularly for men and women who are just starting to feel "nudged" and have no clue what the monastic life might be like, or what it means. It is helpful to the monasteries, too - they both inspire vocations and benefit from inquiries that might not otherwise have been made, and financially they find new benefactors.

But if you are inviting readers to share happy news, you have a responsibility to anticipate questions and answer them. Some communities--even those who post very infrequently on their lives, like the Benedictines at St. Walburga's--do this very well. They share what they want, and give explanation, and what they don't wish to explain, they don't share. This seems wise to me.

Right now it looks like all of the Mother-Angelica-connected PCPA's are enduring stressful and transitional times - Hanceville, with the retirement of Mother Angelica, Phoenix with the building and now moving into their new living space, North Carolina, with their move and attempts to rebuild, and even the Texas mission with their Anglican Rite adjustments. Perhaps all of this indicates growing pains, but certainly all of these nuns who sought enclosure and are suddenly living without it (sometimes for years) or who sought to be part of a very public abbey that has found a need to pull back a little, are enduring a great deal and could use our prayers, more than anything else.

[quote name='DameAgnes' timestamp='1290921234' post='2189624']
I think the distinction really is between a community that shares part of its life online but also make a true effort to educate its readers as to what the life is, why it is lived as it is, etc...for instance the way the Summit Dominicans and the Whitesville Passionists make a real effort to highlight particular practices or ceremonies--or (over time) explain what each particular prayer hour is like - these things are really helpful informationally, particularly for men and women who are just starting to feel "nudged" and have no clue what the monastic life might be like, or what it means. It is helpful to the monasteries, too - they both inspire vocations and benefit from inquiries that might not otherwise have been made, and financially they find new benefactors.

But if you are inviting readers to share happy news, you have a responsibility to anticipate questions and answer them. Some communities--even those who post very infrequently on their lives, like the Benedictines at St. Walburga's--do this very well. They share what they want, and give explanation, and what they don't wish to explain, they don't share. This seems wise to me.

Right now it looks like all of the Mother-Angelica-connected PCPA's are enduring stressful and transitional times - Hanceville, with the retirement of Mother Angelica, Phoenix with the building and now moving into their new living space, North Carolina, with their move and attempts to rebuild, and even the Texas mission with their Anglican Rite adjustments. Perhaps all of this indicates growing pains, but certainly all of these nuns who sought enclosure and are suddenly living without it (sometimes for years) or who sought to be part of a very public abbey that has found a need to pull back a little, are enduring a great deal and could use our prayers, more than anything else.
[/quote]

The one reason that I think that some discussion or awareness of conditions within communities might be useful is for the candidates to at least be aware of the situation before they enter, so that they are prepared. Otherwise they may feel blindsided by the information they discover upon entry, the inevitable presence of cliques, and strong differences of opinion. In particular many young women may be bewildered by this information, as they have entered thinking that religious life is a beautiful dream. They will find out soon enough what it's all about, but they don't need the added burden of being caught up in internal politics of which they were totally unaware.

Similarly, I feel that in considering the carmels and Poor Clare monasteries, it is a good idea to be aware of the level of austerity practiced in the individual houses.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='strgzr00' timestamp='1290958540' post='2189659']
The one reason that I think that some discussion or awareness of conditions within communities might be useful is for the candidates to at least be aware of the situation before they enter, so that they are prepared. Otherwise they may feel blindsided by the information they discover upon entry, the inevitable presence of cliques, and strong differences of opinion. In particular many young women may be bewildered by this information, as they have entered thinking that religious life is a beautiful dream. They will find out soon enough what it's all about, but they don't need the added burden of being caught up in internal politics of which they were totally unaware.

Similarly, I feel that in considering the carmels and Poor Clare monasteries, it is a good idea to be aware of the level of austerity practiced in the individual houses.
[/quote]

I think you put this very well.

To me, I almost think there are at least two "levels" of discerners. I think that for those at the earlier, more general stage of discernment, it can be very helpful to know as much public information is reasonably possible. (And, each discerner is going to have different questions. and issues.) For example, knowing the general lifestyle and horarium of a community is very helpful in narrowing down the Communities a discerner might be interested in, and what additional questions the discerner needs to ask the Superior or the Vocation Director.

It's where it gets down to the level of personal information that gets tricky. (This happens in corporate life, too.) To me, an individual should be entitled to privacy when it comes to things like whether they have left a community, and the reasons. Unlike clothing ceremonies or temporary or final vows, the circumstances of why a Sister leaves a community might be painful (or may not be painful at all--it obviously varies. But, to me, in essence, in general, the specifics are really only the business of the Sister and the Superior, and perhaps some or all members of the community, depending on the circumstances. If a Sister transfers Communities, that may be information that is appropriate for the public, but the reasons for the transfer may not be.

But, sometimes the general circumstances of a Sister leaving are an indication of a wider issue in the community. And, certainly, if a Community is going through a transition, that is something that a serious discerner, that is, a woman who is seriously considering entering a specific Community, has a legitimate reason to be concerned about. Ideally, the Superior or Vocation Director would be more open with this discerner, and, in fact, the answers a Superior or Vocation Director gives, might indicate something important to the discerner about the community.

To me, the issue comes when we talk about specific issues, or specific individuals, on a public Internet forum. To me, for example, it is enough for a public Internet posting to know that certain PCPA's are going through transition issues, without my having to know specifically what those issues are. I think discerners, especially those seriously discerning a Community, are entitled to more information, although still perhaps, in most cases, not information such as why a particular Sister has left. It is a very tricky issue, and one to which there is no single "right" answer. Although, certainly, if someone discerning a Community reads here that there are issues, one option is to send a private message to the person making the post, so that people who need the information get the information they need, while others (like me) who might be interested in learning more, but who don't NEED more specific information, have to learn to curb our curiosity, at least on a public forum. (And, certainly, I am as curious as anyone else.) As with other types of personal information, just because we are interested doesn't mean that we are entitled to more than basic information--or maybe not any information at all. With my ever-present curiosity, it's a lesson I have to remind myself about sometimes. Although, for example, I find it of interest to hear about the types of issues that Communities in general face, it may be that I won't find out more specific details until later, after the transition times are over, and the Community may give out more information. But, someone like me, and what I need to know, is very different from that of a woman seriously discerning a Community, or even a woman who is still at the more general stage of her discernment process.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Ignatius of Loyola has a good point (or perhaps, several!)

Ever the optimist, I am looking for some good fruit that may come from these postings. Perhaps someone responsible for posting community news will reconsider just how much news is helpful, and scale it back a bit. Curiosity is usually [i]not[/i] a virtue!

Another possibility would be that the leadership of communities that are in a transitional phase will consider putting a moratorium on accepting candidates until the community is on more solid ground. Most communities ask converts to wait for a period of time before they will consider their application. (In my own, the waiting period is two years, but I have heard that others have a waiting period of up to five years.) Shouldn't it work both ways?

I know of a community that, after much discussion, allowed two of their novices to go to a new house when it first opened. There were a lot of adjustments that were not anticipated - for example: Soon after the sisters arrived, the bishop - who had been instrumental in bringing them into his diocese - was transferred. Then, the parish priest who had been instrumental in getting them settled into his parish was transferred less than a year later. The incoming priest did not agree to the same set of arrangements they had made with his predecessor, and there was not a thing they could do about it! Within 3 years, the house was closed and all the sisters re-assigned to other houses. Both novices left the community within six months of each other. One has now entered another community, and the other is still discerning off and on. I won't say it was entirely because of all the distractions associated with the new house, but that was at least part of it.

As Dame Agnes said several posts back, we need to pray for these communities that are in transition. Let's do it!

Just my 2 cents!

Edited by FSM Sister

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

This is a subject that has been raised time and again on this board, and I would be horribly remiss if I didn't use this conversation (thread) once again as an opportunity to clarify my thoughts. While I believe the people here look at websites and read vocation stories with the best of intentions, we must remember that the internet is a very public place and there are so many "out there" who lack good intentions. In our home, internet access is very limited, and as my husband and I helped our daughters (thank God not at the same time!) discern their vocation, one of our few conditions - since they both longed for cloistered/monastic life - was that their privacy would be respected. As many of you know, Daughter Carmelite did not stay at her first Monastery and left for another - which we thank God for - for the entire experience - because it was all as it was meant to be. To be truthful, however, it was very difficult and had it been public, I'm not sure things would have gone as smoothly as they did.

The Abbess of a Monastery/Abbey (or Prioress, etc.) usually has a "public face" and that is quite necessary, given her office, duties, responsibilities, etc. I know we all love reading the stories of entrances and professions, but I do believe that the use of the internet, in some cases "overuse" has completely taken away that "hidden" aspect of the life one chose to live in the cloister, and in some cases, these women (or girls) become more familiar to us than necessary or even appropriate.

I do worry - as a mother I feel very sensitive about caring for my children, and I hate the thought of some religious voyeur (sadly - they are out there) looking at my daughter and knowing where she lives and what her schedule is. I rest knowing neither one of my daughters is exposed in this way.

And then, as one poster brought up, putting one's life out there does invite questions and the expectation of honest answers. So, indeed, we do have a double bind in this situation, because we (the Catholic Church!) want more vocations, we know the pictures, stories and romanticism attract people, and yet, we want our privacy as well - because we are human with so many human failings - so this all gets quite confusing.

Everybody above me had an interesting and quite valid point as I have come to see this as a very complex issue.

I've been away from phatmass for a while (on a regular basis) so forgive me for not being quite up to date on the names, but the person who apologized - I think your questions were quite valid and not inappropriate as questions are always good, and we do learn from the good as well as the "challenging." I feel (this is my personal opinion) the communities themselves are often in a difficult place because they cannot quite control what happens (who does?) and putting information out there, and then trying to have privacy is almost like teasing. "You can know about [i]this[/i], but not about [i]that[/i]." Very difficult for women in discernment.

Once again, as only a mother can do, please ask a million questions to the people that can answer them - be careful of what you personally post (facebook included!) and remember that a vocation is not an opportunity for publicity or photography. It is your life, and if you are serious about cloistered, contemplative life, hidden in Christ, think of what that means and how you best want to live it.

Blessings to all. It seems as if we are all in periods of transition - no matter our age, circumstance, vocation or life. So let's pray for all of us as we encounter a deeper conversion to Christ, Our Lord.

Pax,
TradMom

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='TradMom' timestamp='1291169689' post='2190116']
+Praised be Jesus Christ!

This is a subject that has been raised time and again on this board, and I would be horribly remiss if I didn't use this conversation (thread) once again as an opportunity to clarify my thoughts. While I believe the people here look at websites and read vocation stories with the best of intentions, we must remember that the internet is a very public place and there are so many "out there" who lack good intentions. In our home, internet access is very limited, and as my husband and I helped our daughters (thank God not at the same time!) discern their vocation, one of our few conditions - since they both longed for cloistered/monastic life - was that their privacy would be respected. As many of you know, Daughter Carmelite did not stay at her first Monastery and left for another - which we thank God for - for the entire experience - because it was all as it was meant to be. To be truthful, however, it was very difficult and had it been public, I'm not sure things would have gone as smoothly as they did.

The Abbess of a Monastery/Abbey (or Prioress, etc.) usually has a "public face" and that is quite necessary, given her office, duties, responsibilities, etc. I know we all love reading the stories of entrances and professions, but I do believe that the use of the internet, in some cases "overuse" has completely taken away that "hidden" aspect of the life one chose to live in the cloister, and in some cases, these women (or girls) become more familiar to us than necessary or even appropriate.

I do worry - as a mother I feel very sensitive about caring for my children, and I hate the thought of some religious voyeur (sadly - they are out there) looking at my daughter and knowing where she lives and what her schedule is. I rest knowing neither one of my daughters is exposed in this way.

And then, as one poster brought up, putting one's life out there does invite questions and the expectation of honest answers. So, indeed, we do have a double bind in this situation, because we (the Catholic Church!) want more vocations, we know the pictures, stories and romanticism attract people, and yet, we want our privacy as well - because we are human with so many human failings - so this all gets quite confusing.

Everybody above me had an interesting and quite valid point as I have come to see this as a very complex issue.

I've been away from phatmass for a while (on a regular basis) so forgive me for not being quite up to date on the names, but the person who apologized - I think your questions were quite valid and not inappropriate as questions are always good, and we do learn from the good as well as the "challenging." I feel (this is my personal opinion) the communities themselves are often in a difficult place because they cannot quite control what happens (who does?) and putting information out there, and then trying to have privacy is almost like teasing. "You can know about [i]this[/i], but not about [i]that[/i]." Very difficult for women in discernment.

Once again, as only a mother can do, please ask a million questions to the people that can answer them - be careful of what you personally post (facebook included!) and remember that a vocation is not an opportunity for publicity or photography. It is your life, and if you are serious about cloistered, contemplative life, hidden in Christ, think of what that means and how you best want to live it.

Blessings to all. It seems as if we are all in periods of transition - no matter our age, circumstance, vocation or life. So let's pray for all of us as we encounter a deeper conversion to Christ, Our Lord.

Pax,
TradMom
[/quote]

Excellent post (as usual) TradMom. A few thoughts. First, one thing that (to me) makes this issue more complex is that, even though I don't have the numbers to prove it, it appears that the availability of Web sites for Communities does seem to be a real help in discerning, and (I think) has probably increased the number of young women who join religious Communities. For those Communities that have made greater use of the Internet (especially contemplative communities), I would hope that the Community considers carefully when and how they use the Internet. For example, I feel more comfortable when a Community that has decided to post pictures, does not give the names of the individuals. Photos of these ceremonies are very moving, and I have no doubt that at least some women have more seriously considered religious life in general, and a specific community in particular, from these photos. And, as you said, posting the name and picture of the Superior/Abbess/Prioress etc, and perhaps the Vocation Director, is different, because part of their role is to act as a "public face" for the Community.

One thing that (at least to me) suggests there is no "right" answer, even for a contemplative community, is that the charisms of various contemplative Orders are different. In general, although my understanding of Carmel is limited, one element of their charism is to be "hidden," so it particularly fits the charism of the Carmelites that information might be given about the monastery and the horarium, etc., but not about specific individuals. But, the charism of other contemplative Orders is for a less "hidden" life. For example, some contemplative Orders run guest houses and retreat centers to which the public is invited (even though the visitors may never see most of the Sisters, even through a grille. And, in other Orders and Communities, even if the members of the Community remain cloistered, they do not have the grilles or screens found in most Carmelite and Poor Clare communities. Even if the public does not have direct access to the cloistered Sisters, they may be more visible to the public. This isn't wrong or even suggesting of a less traditional Community, simply reflecting a different charism.

Also, is it different for an active Order/Community? Active Sisters often see the public every day. I still have concerns about giving names over the Internet (especially birth names), but, on the other hand part of the apostolate of active Sisters is to be a visible sign of God's presence. I think this makes the decision of the amount and type of Internet presence more difficult.

All these issues aside, I still think that discussions on the Internet about Sisters leaving need to be considered carefully. For example, we had a thread last Spring where a number VS'ers who have left religious life posted a least a portion of their "stories." These former Sisters helped us a lot, and were often very brave, when they described for us what it was like for them when they left religious life. But, all of the posters used only their Phatmass user names, and, as far as I remember, never gave the name of the Community they left. Some Phatmass members who know these individuals more personally knew what Order and Community they were talking about, but in many posts, details were changed so that if you didn't know the person, you could not guess. I was very new to Phatmass at the time, and I knew very little about any VS posters, so I had no idea what Community(s) they left. Yet, even without this specific information, I found the posts very moving and I learned a lot.

And, I do think, in general, even Communities that have a larger Internet presence still do not give information about Sisters who have left. People who look closely at Web photos may notice that a Sister who appears in earlier pictures suddenly is not there. As I said in my earlier post, general information about Sister(s) who have left may be their "business" to a discerner since they are choosing where they, ideally, will spend the rest of their lives. But, for someone like me, who isn't discerning, it isn't my "business." I don't think there is anything wrong with a Phatmass member who is close to a Community sharing information with another Phatmass member who might be seriously discerning that Community, but perhaps that information is normally best shared via PM and not in a public post.

However, I can think of one type of information related to Sisters who leave the Community, where it is not inappropriate, and could be helpful to share, even publicly. A number of well-known Communities have relatively large postulant classes. And, I do find myself comparing, for example, the number of Postulants who enter compared to those who those who entered at the same time who are clothed in the habit, and then compared to those in the same "class" who take first vows. In some cases, the number of women taking first vows could be half the number in a "class" who entered. This could be the signal of a problem, but probably is not. But, to me, it is of general interest because it is probably an indication of philosophies of recruiting Postulants, and also perhaps, the nature of the Community's formation program. If the number of Sisters taking first vows is only half of the number of Postulants who entered, it may actually be a positive thing--that those in charge of formation and vocations take first vows so seriously that if there is any doubt, the Sister either leaves or perhaps remains in the novitiate for another year. To me, a woman seriously discerning these communities has a legitimate right to know the reasons for why only half remained--discernment is partially your "heart" knowing where God is calling you, but it also calls for making a decision that is also rational and wise.

In fact, even if the information is not public, I hope that some of the better known, "more popular" Carmels do make known to serious discerners/aspirants how many women have left, and at what stage of formation, and give honest (but obviously general, not personal) information as to why Sisters have left. We know that Sisters have left these Carmels, but we don't know how many. It's fine that this information is more "secret" to the public, but I hope these Communities are not "secret" about this with serious discerners/aspirants. Personally, I would be concerned if a Community was not willing to give serious discerners/aspirants honest, more detailed answers.

I have some thoughts on this. Cloistered orders have either papal or constitutional enclosure. Usually the ones with constitutional enclosure - like Benefictines - are responsible for their own life in that they engage in work which makes a truly hidden life somewhat impossible. They also (the Bennies) offer hospitality as part of their Rule, so that's a factor, too. Their idea of enclosure is totally different from the papally enclosed orders. And many of them, while being self supporting are also considered mendicant orders.

Also, in terms of Active vs. Contemplative, I have yet another comment: in active communities (usually) the nuns/sisters have more than one location/assignment so individuals cannot be easily located as a cloistered nun can by an Internet whacko because most cloistered nuns actually live in one particular place. I think that was
tradmom's point about Internet security/nuns.

Lastly, one of the monasteries I did live in at had an break-in attack (not when I was there) I won't say more except that one of the nuns was really badly injured. They got dogs after that. I really love reading vocation stories & seeing pictures but I agree that names shouldn't be posted though I hate to admit that because I LOVE knowing what
names are given/picked!!!!

I also think if a community is having "issues" it would be cool to just be open and maybe we could learn from it. I really appreciated the nuns telling me the truth about the attack & I understood some of the reasons better.

I could say more but this is sort of personal ideas I just wanted to share.

Katherine

Tradmom, you have hit the nail on the head! I know a mother who has gone through something similar to what you have gone through, having a daughter in religious life. There was a painful period after being released while in temporary vows, living in a small town where everyone knows everything. She felt like she had no privacy. Walking down the street in lay clothes, after years in a habit, felt like walking down the street in a hospital gown. So many of the mom's friends would bring it up, very carefully. First they would ask how she was doing, as if they were truly concerned. That would be followed up by more personal questions, such as, "Did she decide to leave, or was she asked to leave?" Only someone who has lived it can relate to it. These good sisters whose vocation stories/professions end up on the internet have much to offer up, in that they do not get to decide whether or not their vocation will be made public. You are so very right - those who are seriously discerning need to develop a sense of knowing what sort of questions can be asked/raised/discussed on public forums, for all to see, and what sort of questions need to be asked privately. A vocation is an intimate relationship between a woman and her Spouse, and some questions are as inappropriate as asking someone you don't even know personally, who has a vocation to marriage, to describe every kiss and intimate conversation they had while dating. Going back to my example of an inappropriate question: "Why did you leave, or why were you asked to leave your community?" I know some posters think one can answer this question without getting into specifics by saying something general, such as, "It just wasn't a good fit," but those who ask the question in the first place are usually not satisfied with a general answer. They want to know [i]how[/i] you know, and what led up to your decision, and if you are sure that your decision was also God's will for you, and if so, how? I think the bottom line for discerners is to find out about the charism and apostolate of the community. If you feel attracted to that spirituality, and are fairly confident that you can live by the rules of that community, don't worry so much about all the externals. Just [i]pray[/i] for the grace of perseverance and [i]allow[/i] God's grace to work! That is what the disciples did. They followed our Lord immediately. If they had spent three years discerning whether or not to follow Him, they would have missed the opportunity completely!

I found this on the St. Joseph Monastery website:

[b]Q.Where did Sr. Mary Raphael come from and why was she invested and made her Vows on the same day?[/b]
A. A lot of people have been asking about Sr. Mary Raphael's recent unique ceremony. Sister was a professed Nun in another Monastery of our Order when in 2008 a serious illness kept her from renewing her temporary Vows. At the end of 2009, she received a major healing, so that she could pursue the vocation she still felt called to. Canon Law and the Constitutions of our Order do not require the novitiate to be repeated if a Sister leaves the Order after First Profession. So, after a period of discernment, Sr. Mary Raphael was able to once again be clothed in the Holy Habit and make the Vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience. We rejoice with her at this wonderful grace which is so beautifully expressed in her new name and title!

[quote name='Deusdedit' timestamp='1291238636' post='2190239']

[b]Q.Where did Sr. Mary Raphael come from and why was she invested and made her Vows on the same day?[/b]
A. A lot of people have been asking about Sr. Mary Raphael's recent unique ceremony. Sister was a professed Nun in another Monastery of our Order when in 2008 a serious illness kept her from renewing her temporary Vows. At the end of 2009, she received a major healing, so that she could pursue the vocation she still felt called to. Canon Law and the Constitutions of our Order do not require the novitiate to be repeated if a Sister leaves the Order after First Profession. So, after a period of discernment, Sr. Mary Raphael was able to once again be clothed in the Holy Habit and make the Vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience. We rejoice with her at this wonderful grace which is so beautifully expressed in her new name and title!
[/quote]

Wow, thank you for posting! I think it was great they posted this on their site. And now we don't have to feel guiltly here for asking about her. I had heard from a friend that she left OLAM in 2008 for health reasons (though I didn't think I should post that here) and was still living near and working at the monastery, I believe. And I was just so happy to see that she was discerning with St. Joseph's now and even happier to hear she received the habit and made her vows all at the same time!! :nunpray: Her vocation story was so beautiful in that video I posted before .. and how she heard a voice that said she would be Christ's Bride. How wonderful that she received a healing and could become a PCPA again!! God is so good!! :cry2:

p.s. TradMom, wonderful post! and everyone else! : ) This has been a good discussion, and I agree with so many here about the importance of staying hidden :ninja: Again though I think it's great we've received this clarification from St. Joseph's. And seriously, all I've felt regarding this thread from the start was to rejoice with Sr. Mary Raphael! She looks so happy!

Edited by Chiquitunga

Hooray!

That is a perfectly lovely story -- and explains her (rather unusual!) name.

It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to know that story.

AND at the same time she strengthens a small monastery that has not had a solemn profession in ages.

Yay yay yay.

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='Deusdedit' timestamp='1291238636' post='2190239']

[/quote]

I must have watched that older vocation video of her so many times before! This is great news; I'm very happy for her. Making her final profession must have been so fulfilling for her; waiting for that day to come. They have a slide show of her profession on the website, and also of another Sister's profession. (Go to "Nun News" and then "Photo Gallery") http://www.stjosephmonastery.com/