An Old School Catholic Message Board

Visit Delayed

tnavarro61

The Franciscans of the Immaculate told me that the best time that I could visit them is on February. So I couldn't visit them now before the year end. Yet I am hopeful and joyful because my journey is taking a new direction.. A new direction so to speak. I haven't really considered being a friar, nor being a Franciscan, never, never... I have always thought that I would become a monk or hermit but the Lord seems to bring me to the Franciscans of the Immaculate... Mysterious really are the plans of the Lord.

Anyway, any suggestions while I wait for February? What do you think should I do? What shall I read? What what what??? :crazy: [:priest: BTW I made an know Franciscan crown this afternoon and i'm planning to learn it.]

Also, when I call the friars again, what shall we speak about? The friars seem to wait for me to come up with a topic and i would love to ask more about their spirituality. What shall I ask?

My phriends, thank you very much for your prayers! Maraming salamat mga kaibigan!

what helped me in my discernment with the sisters I have applied to was to keep up with their ongoing news. I also kept up with praying the office and spending time in silent prayer. I am a very inquisitive person by nature so I kept a separate notebook aside from my reflections notebook where I would record any questions that I had about the community (from their formation process to the day-to-day activities) sometimes I would discuss these questions on calls with the VD or just the news of the community. It also helps to share some news/stuff about yourself (I found that it helped them to get to know you)

I shall continue to keep your discernment in my prayers.

HB

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1292579210' post='2193154']
The Franciscans of the Immaculate told me that the best time that I could visit them is on February. So I couldn't visit them now before the year end. Yet I am hopeful and joyful because my journey is taking a new direction.. A new direction so to speak. I haven't really considered being a friar, nor being a Franciscan, never, never... I have always thought that I would become a monk or hermit but the Lord seems to bring me to the Franciscans of the Immaculate... Mysterious really are the plans of the Lord.

Anyway, any suggestions while I wait for February? What do you think should I do? What shall I read? What what what??? :crazy: [:priest: BTW I made an know Franciscan crown this afternoon and i'm planning to learn it.]

Also, when I call the friars again, what shall we speak about? The friars seem to wait for me to come up with a topic and i would love to ask more about their spirituality. What shall I ask?

My phriends, thank you very much for your prayers! Maraming salamat mga kaibigan!
[/quote]
That is wonderful!! I just got back from visiting the sisters 2days ago...I spent 2 whole weeks with them! All I can say is WOW!!! :nun2: Amazing order!!! The moment I left I started missing it and I can't get over it!! haha I agree with hopefulbride writting down questions as they come to you is helpful...the best questions will probably come to you during your visit. :like:

Edited by Klaudi87

Hinter dem Horizont

I discerned the Franciscans of the Immaculate as well. To become a priest with them you must study in Italy which definitely would be quite an experience. It definitely will not be easy though because you really need fluency in Italy to study at their seminary. I plan to study in Italy one day no matter what path I choose when it comes to the priesthood or religious life.

I would ask them about their Traccia Mariana and Maximilian Kolbe

i met a bright religious priests and he's going to be my spiritual director (member of IVE)! Also I might be making an Ignatian retreat with them next year... Now my mind is confused and my heart aches too. I've been meeting with their religious order for some time and, again, I have never thought of joining them because they are missionary, and you have to be a missionary before joining their contemplative branch. But, who am I to make preferences? Isn't it I shall follow the Lord wherever He leads me, and to set aside my own preferences? Now I am becoming interested with them. I was thinking, how about the Franciscans? Oh..

Now the Servants of the Paraclete contacted me via email again. They gave me information, as well as a heart warming support for my religious vocation. This made me soo confused..

I am SOOO confused.

Maybe the Ignatian retreat will make things in order. Really, I cannot understand what's happening right now. I'm kinda laughin now for all these surprises, but still I am sad. I think I will never be very happy again... I am quite assured that I wiill never be as happy as I was with the Intercessors. The Good Lord is really detaching me from them, slowly but it's very painful. I have to explain over and over what happened to me so that they'll get to know what's in my heart. How I miss my fellow ex-Intercessors so badly! I don't see them that much since the suppression happened.

Pray for me! :pray: I feel like I'm floating at the ocean, I don't know where to go, I just let the waves bring me to my destination!

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1292676741' post='2193310']
i met a bright religious priests and he's going to be my spiritual director (member of IVE)! Also I might be making an Ignatian retreat with them next year... Now my mind is confused and my heart aches too. I've been meeting with their religious order for some time and, again, I have never thought of joining them because they are missionary, and you have to be a missionary before joining their contemplative branch. But, who am I to make preferences? Isn't it I shall follow the Lord wherever He leads me, and to set aside my own preferences? Now I am becoming interested with them. I was thinking, how about the Franciscans? Oh..

Now the Servants of the Paraclete contacted me via email again. They gave me information, as well as a heart warming support for my religious vocation. This made me soo confused..

I am SOOO confused.
[/quote]
Awesome ... the IVE priests are wonderful; one was going to be my spiritual director when I first got back to the States. I've done the Ignatian retreats with them -- it was awesome and wonderful and a great blessing. It served to put my whole experience into perspective.

iMaybe the Ignatian retreat will make things in order. Really, I cannot understand what's happening right now. I'm kinda laughin now for all these surprises, but still I am sad. I think I will never be very happy again... I am quite assured that I wiill never be as happy as I was with the Intercessors. The Good Lord is really detaching me from them, slowly but it's very painful. I have to explain over and over what happened to me so that they'll get to know what's in my heart. How I miss my fellow ex-Intercessors so badly! I don't see them that much since the suppression happened.

Pray for me! :pray: I feel like I'm floating at the ocean, I don't know where to go, I just let the waves bring me to my destination!
[/quote]

The beautiful part is that you are young and you have lots of options. Take your time, and pray for discernment and wisdom to make a good and wise decision.

On one of the Ignatian retreats that I made (not with IVE), a (very holy) priest gave me this advice

"Don't pick which order to enter based on whether or not you like them (or are drawn to them) but pick the one that will sanctify you"

I don't mean pick the order that you most hate -- just look at all aspects of the order. When I was given this advice, I had two orders that I liked a lot. However -- one order was so much like me, I felt as though they would encourage/help foster those negative habits/vices that I had. The other order, which I liked as well, I felt as though they would sanctify me. This order (the one I did enter), in spite of all that happened, did lead me down a road that did help to transform my soul.

Hope this helps -- and take your time in making a decision. Don't make one out of haste or feelings or out of pressure.

[quote name='Klaudi87' timestamp='1292629378' post='2193238']
That is wonderful!! I just got back from visiting the sisters 2days ago...I spent 2 whole weeks with them! All I can say is WOW!!! :nun2: Amazing order!!! The moment I left I started missing it and I can't get over it!! haha I agree with hopefulbride writting down questions as they come to you is helpful...the best questions will probably come to you during your visit. :like:
[/quote]

hey, please tell us more about it! are they cheerful? have you met the friars? are they cheerful to?

btw thank you for your prayers.

Edited by tnavarro61

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1292704828' post='2193364']
Awesome ... the IVE priests are wonderful; one was going to be my spiritual director when I first got back to the States. I've done the Ignatian retreats with them -- it was awesome and wonderful and a great blessing. It served to put my whole experience into perspective.

The beautiful part is that you are young and you have lots of options. Take your time, and pray for discernment and wisdom to make a good and wise decision.

On one of the Ignatian retreats that I made (not with IVE), a (very holy) priest gave me this advice

"Don't pick which order to enter based on whether or not you like them (or are drawn to them) but pick the one that will sanctify you"

I don't mean pick the order that you most hate -- just look at all aspects of the order. When I was given this advice, I had two orders that I liked a lot. However -- one order was so much like me, I felt as though they would encourage/help foster those negative habits/vices that I had. The other order, which I liked as well, I felt as though they would sanctify me. This order (the one I did enter), in spite of all that happened, did lead me down a road that did help to transform my soul.

Hope this helps -- and take your time in making a decision. Don't make one out of haste or feelings or out of pressure.
[/quote]

thank you very much for sharing this advice - wow this is a GREAT help! I would always remember this. Thanks a lot!!

TeresaBenedicta

I am SOOO confused.

Maybe the Ignatian retreat will make things in order. Really, I cannot understand what's happening right now. I'm kinda laughin now for all these surprises, but still I am sad. I think I will never be very happy again... I am quite assured that I wiill never be as happy as I was with the Intercessors. The Good Lord is really detaching me from them, slowly but it's very painful. I have to explain over and over what happened to me so that they'll get to know what's in my heart. How I miss my fellow ex-Intercessors so badly! I don't see them that much since the suppression happened.

[/quote]

I was gonna suggest IVE, but I didn't want to seem as though I was pushing "my" religious family on anyone. :blush:

Seriously-- I never imagined myself as missionary either. It was the sole reason I immediately dismissed the SSVMs when I first met them (up through quite a few visits with them as well-- all merely "as friends"). It took quite a bit of Holy Spirit prodding to get me to wake up and recognize that it was where He wanted me!!

Anyways. Don't stress out. Sure, you're in contact with a few good orders. That's a good thing. Let each of them soak in a bit. Getting information doesn't commit you to entering!!! Just be calm and let each of the orders sink in a bit. An Ignatian retreat might not be a bad idea!

But seriously-- discernment's not supposed to get you set out of your mind!! Just give it all up to God and let Him do the sorting out.

If you are new to Franciscans, I would recommend reading the life of St. Francis of Assisi. That might help to give you some of the 'flavor' of Franciscan spirituality. The original by Thomas of Celano is good, and also that by St. Bonaventure. I highly recommend both of these. The Little Flowers of St. Francis are a bunch of cute stories, but not as good (in my opinion).

If you'd like instant access to some online sources, check out these:

[url=http://www.franciscan-sfo.org/ap/vita1n2.htm]An SFO page[/url]
[url=http://www.franciscan-archive.org/fontes.html]Franciscan Archive[/url]
[url=http://www.archive.org/details/stfrancisassisi00rosegoog]Internet Archive[/url]

St. Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises can be a great aid to discernment and help you to sort out what your path forward should be. I hope it helps!

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1292720875' post='2193398']Let each of them soak in a bit. Getting information doesn't commit you to entering!!! Just be calm and let each of the orders sink in a bit. An Ignatian retreat might not be a bad idea!

[/quote]

This is what I need to hear now! thank you TeresaBenedicta! Joining the SSVMs? They're cool and cheerful! :clapping:

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1292724241' post='2193404']
If you are new to Franciscans, I would recommend reading the life of St. Francis of Assisi. That might help to give you some of the 'flavor' of Franciscan spirituality. The original by Thomas of Celano is good, and also that by St. Bonaventure. I highly recommend both of these. The Little Flowers of St. Francis are a bunch of cute stories, but not as good (in my opinion).

If you'd like instant access to some online sources, check out these:

[url=http://www.franciscan-sfo.org/ap/vita1n2.htm]An SFO page[/url]
[url=http://www.franciscan-archive.org/fontes.html]Franciscan Archive[/url]
[url=http://www.archive.org/details/stfrancisassisi00rosegoog]Internet Archive[/url]

St. Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises can be a great aid to discernment and help you to sort out what your path forward should be. I hope it helps!
[/quote]

thank you for sharing the links! especially the ebook! i will make it sure that i will read it! thank you again!

Yes, could you try to slow down in your mind and enjoy the process? There are so many fascinating communities out there!

If you were thirty years old and had spent the last decade dawdling around "ooh that looks interesting ... oh maybe that one ... ooh look over there!" well then it'd probably be time to buckle down to the business of making some decisions.

But that isn't you. At all.

So can you try to let yourself go to the adventure of it all without feeling like you have to find the place you're going to enter right away?

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/priest.gif[/img] (in honor of Br. Bruno and his non-existent :monk: emo, we will pretend that guy has a cowl instead of a Roman collar)