An Old School Catholic Message Board

Thanks!

Lisa

[b]Kat,[/b] prudence is always good advice. It takes a [i]lot[/i] of trust to become a member of a new community, and I think God gives the graces necessary to some people, but not to others. Not everyone is called to take such a risk.

But keep in mind that when you are elderly, it will be those two generations younger than you who will be working to keep the order going. So, even a group that is growing and prosperous today...may not be able to attract new members [i]then[/i]. No matter what group you join, you will be relying on divine providence to keep you in your old age. A certain amount of trust and a willingness to let go is always needed in pursuing a religious vocation.

It is true that orders that have been well established have the example of the older members. That's very valuable to the community, of course, and can help the newer people see how to live over an entire lifetime.

Still - ask a lot of questions. Find out what you are getting yourself into. With a newer community, you want to understand what their vision and plans are moving forwards...but that is true of more established communities as well. The future is never certain. That's the point of Jesus' parable about the man who planned to tear down his barns and build bigger ones...when that very night he was going to die.

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1293682985' post='2195110']
[b]Kat,[/b] prudence is always good advice. It takes a [i]lot[/i] of trust to become a member of a new community, and I think God gives the graces necessary to some people, but not to others. Not everyone is called to take such a risk.

But keep in mind that when you are elderly, it will be those two generations younger than you who will be working to keep the order going. So, even a group that is growing and prosperous today...may not be able to attract new members [i]then[/i]. No matter what group you join, you will be relying on divine providence to keep you in your old age. A certain amount of trust and a willingness to let go is always needed in pursuing a religious vocation.

It is true that orders that have been well established have the example of the older members. That's very valuable to the community, of course, and can help the newer people see how to live over an entire lifetime.

Still - ask a lot of questions. Find out what you are getting yourself into. With a newer community, you want to understand what their vision and plans are moving forwards...but that is true of more established communities as well. The future is never certain. That's the point of Jesus' parable about the man who planned to tear down his barns and build bigger ones...when that very night he was going to die.
[/quote]
Mithluin,
That is an incredible post....you are very wise.
The parable is very familiar to me but I wd like to read it again. Cd you tell me where to find it in the NT?