An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wait Until Kids Are Grown To Date Or Remarry?

southern california guy

Remarriage  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='apparently' timestamp='1297545962' post='2211742']
on the contrary,

The Sacrament of Marriage represents a lifelong commitment on the part of the spouses. For better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part. It is in this sense that I say marriage is forever.
[/quote]
The Church and nobody here have implied that marriage is not forever. Rather, what we have argued is that there are circumstances where marriage did not occur, as the Catechism makes abundantly clear.

[quote name='apparently' timestamp='1297545962' post='2211742']
on the contrary,

The Sacrament of Marriage represents a lifelong commitment on the part of the spouses. For better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part. [b]It is in this sense that I say marriage is forever[/b].
[/quote]
ah, and there's the rub, hmmm? you say. not the Church. do not disallow what the Church allows and vice versa.

[url="http://www.zenit.org/article-31669?l=english"]Pope: Faithful Have a Right to Rapid Annulment Process[/url]

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1297546079' post='2211746']
The Church and nobody here have implied that marriage is not forever. Rather, what we have argued is that there are circumstances where marriage did not occur, as the Catechism makes abundantly clear.
[/quote]
yes! http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c3a7.htm

1629 For this reason (or for other reasons that render the marriage null and void) the Church, after an examination of the situation by the competent ecclesiastical tribunal, can declare the nullity of a marriage, i.e., that the marriage never existed.132 In this case the contracting parties are free to marry, provided the natural obligations of a previous union are discharged.133

footnotes:
132 Cf. CIC, cann. 1095-1107. http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P3Z.HTM
133 Cf. CIC, can. 1071. http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P3W.HTM

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1297546306' post='2211751']
ah, and there's the rub, hmmm? you say. not the Church. do not disallow what the Church allows and vice versa.

[url="http://www.zenit.org/article-31669?l=english"]Pope: Faithful Have a Right to Rapid Annulment Process[/url]
[/quote]

no

[quote name='cruciatacara' timestamp='1297479583' post='2211554']
Wrong. Divorced persons may NOT remarry. Those who have an annulment may remarry. It is not the same thing. You misunderstood me. If I had meant persons who first got a divorce and then an anulment, I would have said so. Many people divorce, but not everyone gets an anulment.

As to persons who have had their marriages annuled by the Church and have children, then I see this as the same as widows and widowers. [b]What I was trying to say was that persons who are divorced (without annulments) should not remarry because it is wrong, and sets a bad example for the children because the parents are unable to receive the Sacraments in this state.[/b]
[/quote]
:rolleyes: sorry that i wasn't clear in my terms.

i agree especially with the bolded part.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1297548465' post='2211780']
So then you're a cafeteria Catholic?
[/quote]

I'm a happily married catholic, i eat at home. i don't care for cafeteria food.

Edited by apparently

[quote name='apparently' timestamp='1297547572' post='2211766']
no
[/quote]
no, what? no, you don't agree with the Pope? no, you don't agree with my assessment?

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1297549771' post='2211787']
no, what? no, you don't agree with the Pope? no, you don't agree with my assessment?
[/quote]
Well he's already established that he rejects the Catechism...

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1297549771' post='2211787']
[/quote]

no, i do not disallow what the Church allows and vice versa

southern california guy

You guys.. this thread is supposed to be about what is best for the children -- regardless of whether the parents get an annulment. I suppose that since this is a Catholic board than "remarrying" would imply remarrying within the Catholic church -- after an annulment.

But the question is:[b] "For the sake of the children is it best to wait until they're grown to date and remarry?"[/b]

[quote name='apparently' timestamp='1297549625' post='2211785']
I'm a happily married catholic, i eat at home. i don't care for cafeteria food.
[/quote]

The phrase "cafeteria catholic" is a term for a Catholic who picks and choose what teachings of the Church they accept and reject. The phrase comes from the analogy of a person who picks and chooses what they will and will not eat in a cafeteria.