An Old School Catholic Message Board

Those Discerning Religious Life

tnavarro61

Dude! I think (not 100% sure) but I'm pretty sure there were some of the SSVM's at JPII's beatification. EWTN did several pan-over's of the crowd, and I saw blue and gray habits like these! So who knows, maybe there were some there!

tnavarro61

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1304256161' post='2235298']
Dude! I think (not 100% sure) but I'm pretty sure there were some of the SSVM's at JPII's beatification. EWTN did several pan-over's of the crowd, and I saw blue and gray habits like these! So who knows, maybe there were some there!
[/quote]

ah you were'nt mistaken, those sisters where them! I saw them too haha!

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='tnavarro61' timestamp='1304256479' post='2235300']
ah you were'nt mistaken, those sisters where them! I saw them too haha!
[/quote]

I was watching part of it and saw some Alton Franciscans, too! I didn't see any Dominicans, but there weren't too many crowd shots. There was a sister reading something, but I could only see her face so I couldn't do "guess which order."

One of the priests from my church is there! He was so excited when he was talking about it last week!

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1304259759' post='2235309']
There was a sister reading something, but I could only see her face so I couldn't do "guess which order."

[/quote]

I know, right???

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1304256161' post='2235298']
[/quote]

Yup, they were there!!! Some photographer grabbed this shot of the flying SSVM!!

[img]http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkiehiADZn1qzglbeo1_500.jpg[/img]

They've also put up [url="http://www.ssvmusa.org/Events/CatholicCulture/Bl.JPII.shtm"]a nice post in honor of Bl. John Paul II[/url], who is very much a spiritual father to the Institute.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1298476640' post='2214939']
:clapping:

These are [i]my sisters[/i]!!!! :dance: They make me so happy!!

I just watched about five of the videos-- I knew some of the songs, definitely knew some of the sisters... love it!!

:love:
[/quote]

Is this the order you are entering?

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1304643219' post='2237764']
Is this the order you are entering?
[/quote]

It is!! :clapping:

FutureSister2009

I'm still waiting to hear back from them so I can set up a visit! My patience is really being tested while I'm waiting to hear back from these Orders! :wall:

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1298674406' post='2215656']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiSlbx7b2hE[/media]

SSVMs singing goodnight to Our Lady. After dinner/recreation, the sisters sing a song to the Blessed Mother before silence begins. Then the last of the dishes are done, night prayer is said individually, and everyone retires for the night. In the morning, the day begins with an immediate invocation to Our Lady, as each sister kneels and prays three Hail Mary's when the bell rings.
[/quote]

This order is similar to the FSI Sisters. They sing beautifully as they go to meals.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1305300058' post='2240866']
I'm still waiting to hear back from them so I can set up a visit! My patience is really being tested while I'm waiting to hear back from these Orders! :wall:
[/quote]

Have you tried calling? Chances are, when they finally answer your e-mail, that's what they'll have you do. I'd recommend just taking that first step and making a phone call!!

Funny story...

When I was making my first 'official' contact with them (I had been to many pizza night's at the formation houses and had spent a lot of time around the sisters, but this was a call to the vocations director herself), I was [i]sooooo[/i] nervous. Mostly because I already [b]knew[/b] that this was it. It took my spiritual director telling me, under obedience, to call. I wasn't allowed to put it off any longer.

So I finally work up the courage. I go to my favorite outdoor prayer spot on campus (it's a small grotto of Our Lady, plus a small pond). I say about a zillion Hail Mary's. I enter in the number... but can't get myself to press dial. FINALLY, after about fifteen minutes, I press it. And what do I get on the other side?

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

So I hang up. And I wait about fifteen minutes before trying again. Except it took an additional fifteen minutes AFTER THAT to work up my courage again. But I manage to call. This time:

RING. RING. RING. RING. RING.

23 times it rang. Yes, I counted. I finally hung up because it just didn't go to voice mail. I tried again. Same thing, except only 21 rings this time.

So I gave up for the day.

A few days later I work up the courage to try again. This time I went to my second favorite outside prayer spot on campus (the Cradle of Bishops... a beautiful little garden with plaques with the names of all the bishops that have come from my school, which is over 50 some). Spent about ten minutes being nervous and then called:

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

I went back up to Mary's pond. At this point, I was just frustrated. It almost seemed to me that God didn't WANT me to make contact. So I said a little prayer... [i]This is [b]it[/b], God. My last attempt.[/i] I dialed the number. It rang twice. And then someone picked up:

Sister: Servants of the Lord.

Me, extremely caught off guard: Oh, uhm, uh... is Mother Lumen available?

Sister: This is she.

Me, not able to think before I speak: OH! I didn't expect you to answer!

Mother, chuckling: Well, I [i]do[/i] live here! And you [i]were[/i] calling for me!

.... :blush:

Anyways, I finally got to talk with her. We spent about twenty minutes getting to know each other and then worked out a time to visit.

So, perseverance!! Constant vigilance! You can do it!

((Someday I tell you my story about trying to ask to enter... I had much the same luck!))

Santa Cruz

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1305300058' post='2240866']
[/quote]

I am praying for you! Don't go hurting your brain cells over it by banging your head against a wall! It will happen...This is a precious time for you. I totally understand the roller coaster ride...Stay fixed upon Christ, trust that His Will is being worked out and pray, persist and persevere.

Your posts are great!

To Jesus Through Mary

I'm pretty new to the forum, hope you don't mind me scooting into the conversation...

I was wondering, do you know if they have their own rooms/cells? I was reading on another forum that they did not, but wasn't sure how true it was.

Also I know they pray morning, evening, and night prayer in community, but do you know if they pray the Office of Readings or Mid-day prayer privately?

I will be going on a discernment retreat with them in a few weeks, so any advice would be greatly welcomed!

Santa Cruz

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1305506936' post='2242062']
I'm pretty new to the forum, hope you don't mind me scooting into the conversation...

I was wondering, do you know if they have their own rooms/cells? I was reading on another forum that they did not, but wasn't sure how true it was.

Also I know they pray morning, evening, and night prayer in community, but do you know if they pray the Office of Readings or Mid-day prayer privately?

I will be going on a discernment retreat with them in a few weeks, so any advice would be greatly welcomed!
[/quote]

It is good to meet you here TJTM,

Don't be afraid of jumping into conversations on PM or even of diverting them...

Teresa Benedicta knows the SSVM's better than I. All I can say is that they are a stellar Community in all ways. At the Novitiate you do share a room with several others. Initially I thought this would be very difficult and perhaps not possible for me as I cherish my solitude with God. After visiting however and experiencing their life and the abundant graces shed upon the Community along with the charity that emanates, I realized that sharing a room would not interfere with my intimacy with Christ, not at all. I did use earplugs when sleeping though. :)

It is my understanding that given their lifestyle with an active apostolate, they are not obligated to pray Office of Readings, Mid-day or Mid-afternoon prayer. On Solemnities they do pray Office of Readings as a Community.

Enjoy your visit! You will have a great time...I'll be praying for you!