An Old School Catholic Message Board

Those Discerning Religious Life

tnavarro61

Santa Cruz

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1305506936' post='2242062']
I'm pretty new to the forum, hope you don't mind me scooting into the conversation...

I was wondering, do you know if they have their own rooms/cells? I was reading on another forum that they did not, but wasn't sure how true it was.

Also I know they pray morning, evening, and night prayer in community, but do you know if they pray the Office of Readings or Mid-day prayer privately?

I will be going on a discernment retreat with them in a few weeks, so any advice would be greatly welcomed!
[/quote]

Also, the Sisters very much make themselves available and are open to answering all and any questions you may have. I too am happy to answer questions from the perspective of a Candidate, with much to learn about their life myself.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1305506936' post='2242062']
I'm pretty new to the forum, hope you don't mind me scooting into the conversation...

I was wondering, do you know if they have their own rooms/cells? I was reading on another forum that they did not, but wasn't sure how true it was.

Also I know they pray morning, evening, and night prayer in community, but do you know if they pray the Office of Readings or Mid-day prayer privately?

I will be going on a discernment retreat with them in a few weeks, so any advice would be greatly welcomed!
[/quote]

Welcome to phatmass and to Vocation Station!! This is a wonderful place of support for those discerning, I hope you find it helpful!!

As for the SSVMs:

My understanding is that no, in general, they do not have their own rooms/cells. This is certainly true during formation- they bunk. When they are on mission... I think it depends on the size of the convent/house they're staying at. I know all of the Mother Superiors have their own rooms. I believe if there is 'room' enough, then the sisters do as well.

As far as praying the Divine Office... Yes, they pray Morning & Evening Prayer together. Often times Night Prayer is prayed individually before bed- at least in formation. I can't remember if the missions pray Night Prayer altogether. And as far as I know, there is no requirement to pray the Office of Readings or Mid-day prayer privately. That being said, I have seen a few individual sisters choose to so. Mid-day prayer is little more difficult to do because they generally leave their brievaries in the chapel. Some probably pray it during siesta, though, I'd wager.

Have a wonderful time during your visit!! They're avvwesome, if I do say so myself!

FutureSister2009

Welcome to our phamily TJTM!!

I just want to give a little update, I heard back from Sr. Maria the other day. She said that most of them will be away over the summer doing missions but she invited me to come down to help with a mission in Maryland and I would be allowed to stay at their convent. I think it would be a good experience for me because I would get to meet a majority of the Sisters and live with them for a little while and get to see what their missions are like. But I have not asked my mom yet and I don't know if she'll go for it or not. This would mean a lot to me if I do get to go. But I am leaving it in God's hands. If He wants me to meet with these Sisters, He'll get me there. If He does not, then that's that. I really want to meet with them though!

Santa Cruz

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1305557036' post='2242259']

I just want to give a little update, I heard back from Sr. Maria the other day. She said that most of them will be away over the summer doing missions but she invited me to come down to help with a mission in Maryland and I would be allowed to stay at their convent. I think it would be a good experience for me because I would get to meet a majority of the Sisters and live with them for a little while and get to see what their missions are like. But I have not asked my mom yet and I don't know if she'll go for it or not. This would mean a lot to me if I do get to go. But I am leaving it in God's hands. If He wants me to meet with these Sisters, He'll get me there. If He does not, then that's that. I really want to meet with them though!
[/quote]

How wonderful! I will be praying for you!

Santa Cruz

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1305548927' post='2242243']
Thank you so much for all the information!! Very helpful.
[/quote]

After you visit I'd love to hear about it if you want to share with us.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1305557036' post='2242259']

[/quote]

Yay!! Their missions are AVVESOME!!

I'm hoping to travel down to their mission house in California during July to help out with a three-week Bible Camp "Summer Oratory" that they do with the kids down there. All the Junioriate sisters will be there (which means many of the sisters I know and my good friend!!)- I won't be able to go for the entire time, but likely for a week or so. I can't wait!!

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1305307477' post='2240910']
Have you tried calling? Chances are, when they finally answer your e-mail, that's what they'll have you do. I'd recommend just taking that first step and making a phone call!!

Funny story...

When I was making my first 'official' contact with them (I had been to many pizza night's at the formation houses and had spent a lot of time around the sisters, but this was a call to the vocations director herself), I was [i]sooooo[/i] nervous. Mostly because I already [b]knew[/b] that this was it. It took my spiritual director telling me, under obedience, to call. I wasn't allowed to put it off any longer.

So I finally work up the courage. I go to my favorite outdoor prayer spot on campus (it's a small grotto of Our Lady, plus a small pond). I say about a zillion Hail Mary's. I enter in the number... but can't get myself to press dial. FINALLY, after about fifteen minutes, I press it. And what do I get on the other side?

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

So I hang up. And I wait about fifteen minutes before trying again. Except it took an additional fifteen minutes AFTER THAT to work up my courage again. But I manage to call. This time:

RING. RING. RING. RING. RING.

23 times it rang. Yes, I counted. I finally hung up because it just didn't go to voice mail. I tried again. Same thing, except only 21 rings this time.

So I gave up for the day.

A few days later I work up the courage to try again. This time I went to my second favorite outside prayer spot on campus (the Cradle of Bishops... a beautiful little garden with plaques with the names of all the bishops that have come from my school, which is over 50 some). Spent about ten minutes being nervous and then called:

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

I went back up to Mary's pond. At this point, I was just frustrated. It almost seemed to me that God didn't WANT me to make contact. So I said a little prayer... [i]This is [b]it[/b], God. My last attempt.[/i] I dialed the number. It rang twice. And then someone picked up:

Sister: Servants of the Lord.

Me, extremely caught off guard: Oh, uhm, uh... is Mother Lumen available?

Sister: This is she.

Me, not able to think before I speak: OH! I didn't expect you to answer!

Mother, chuckling: Well, I [i]do[/i] live here! And you [i]were[/i] calling for me!

.... :blush:

Anyways, I finally got to talk with her. We spent about twenty minutes getting to know each other and then worked out a time to visit.

So, perseverance!! Constant vigilance! You can do it!

((Someday I tell you my story about trying to ask to enter... I had much the same luck!))
[/quote]

:hehe: That sounds like something I'd do. I'm soooo much better talking in writing than on the phone or in person.

To Jesus Through Mary

One more random question- Do they drink coffee? I know that sounds weird, but I know some orders don't and I would hate to be going to be going through caffeine withdraws during a come-and-see (a good friend of mine went through this with the Community of Saint John). So should I kick the Joe before hand?

Oh and thank you all for the kind welcomes!!

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1305580309' post='2242491']
One more random question- Do they drink coffee? I know that sounds weird, but I know some orders don't and I would hate to be going to be going through caffeine withdraws during a come-and-see (a good friend of mine went through this with the Community of Saint John). So should I kick the Joe before hand?

[/quote]

That isn't a random question ... I was with another religious community in Argentina that did *not* drink coffee. They would drink mate and tea (I drank lots of tea in order to stave off the caffene withdrawal).

I'm not sure about this community though -- although there is a chance that they drink coffee in the US.

Edited by cmariadiaz

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1305580309' post='2242491']

[/quote]

Oh do they!!!

Haha, the SSVMs [i]definitely[/i] drink coffee!! Thank goodness!! When I was visiting at a mission house, they even allowed us to go downstairs and have a glass of coffee before Adoration and breakfast!! Otherwise coffee is served at breakfast and merienda (snack). Decaf coffee and tea are available at dinner time.

FutureSister2009

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1305580947' post='2242498']
Oh do they!!!

Haha, the SSVMs [i]definitely[/i] drink coffee!! Thank goodness!! When I was visiting at a mission house, they even allowed us to go downstairs and have a glass of coffee before Adoration and breakfast!! Otherwise coffee is served at breakfast and merienda (snack). Decaf coffee and tea are available at dinner time.
[/quote]

Now this question may be stupid, do they have a Keurig coffee maker? My grandparents have one and I've been spoiled with it! :whistle: :lol4:

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1305580947' post='2242498']
Oh do they!!!

[/quote]

Hahaha VERY reassuring!!

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1305593720' post='2242593']
Now this question may be stupid, do they have a Keurig coffee maker? My grandparents have one and I've been spoiled with it! :whistle: :lol4:
[/quote]

Haha, now [i]that[/i] I doubt!! Now if someone just [i]happened[/i] to donate one... :whistle: LOL I don't know if they'd keep it, but they might!!

Santa Cruz

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1305559999' post='2242281']
Yay!! Their missions are AVVESOME!!

I'm hoping to travel down to their mission house in California during July to help out with a three-week Bible Camp "Summer Oratory" that they do with the kids down there. All the Junioriate sisters will be there (which means many of the sisters I know and my good friend!!)- I won't be able to go for the entire time, but likely for a week or so. I can't wait!!
[/quote]

I hope you make it. That part of California is my old stomping ground. I'll pray it works out for you to go.