An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Will Atheists Respond To This Question?

thessalonian

thessalonian

All you atheists out there image for a moment that all life above that of microbes on earth was destroyed. When would humans walk the earth again?

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1298946600' post='2216661']
All you atheists out there image for a moment that all life above that of microbes on earth was destroyed. When would humans walk the earth again?
[/quote]

If I were asked this question whilst still an atheist, I would've responded, "Probably never." The chances of evolution producing humans again... slim to none.

Unless I am mistaken, this is a question aimed at the scientific study of abiogenesis and evolution. Which leaves me with the impression you think atheists are scientists?

thessalonian

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' timestamp='1298947788' post='2216667']
Unless I am mistaken, this is a question aimed at the scientific study of abiogenesis and evolution. Which leaves me with the impression you think atheists are scientists?
[/quote]

No. I don't think so, but they tend to lean heavily on science for their arguments.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[/quote]

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1298947535' post='2216666']
If I were asked this question whilst still an atheist, I would've responded, "Probably never." The chances of evolution producing humans again... slim to none.
[/quote]

I agree here with TeresaBenedicta. They'd probably say never. In the event of some terrible cataclysmic disaster where all life above microbes is wiped out, the earth probably would no longer be suitable to sustain complex life (I mean even the thing that wiped out the dinosaurs didn't wipe out [i]all[/i] life. So, this would have to be a tremendous event). That aside though, even if the planet could sustain complex/higher life, something like humans probably wouldn't evolve again. The odds are just ridiculous and we seem to have won the biological lottery. I don't think this would disturb anyone though...I mean doesn't everyone expect the world to end at some point?

Edited by Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

dairygirl4u2c

My hope is that by the time something cataclysic occurs, humans will have branched out into the solar system, and galaxy. perhaps starting with something even further out. i do know the closest galaxy is on a collision course with us, which is a long way away and wouldn't necessarily cause all collisions but also just changes in gravitational pulls to a larage degree.

my hope is that we're smart enough, politically or entreprenuially, to survive from indefinitely to the ends of the universe.

Fidei Defensor

[/quote]
Long answer, "Humans" as we know them probably wouldn't exist again. Would some "higher" being come into existence at some time? Maybe. We don't know. Living things change because certain conditions "select" for more fit organisms. Movement towards "higher" beings isn't for the sake of being more intelligent, rather, it's a collection of favorable traits that won out over less favorable ones, which ended in organisms like humans. Many "dumb" organisms could be considered "higher" beings, even though we don't see them as necessarily intelligent.

Simple answer, who knows.

[quote name='fidei defensor' timestamp='1298951007' post='2216690']
Long answer, "Humans" as we know them probably wouldn't exist again. Would some "higher" being come into existence at some time? Maybe. We don't know. Living things change because certain conditions "select" for more fit organisms. Movement towards "higher" beings isn't for the sake of being more intelligent, rather, it's a collection of favorable traits that won out over less favorable ones, which ended in organisms like humans. Many "dumb" organisms could be considered "higher" beings, even though we don't see them as necessarily intelligent.

[/quote]

this... probably won't happen.. I would say so too. Not sure what the question has to do with atheists

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1298950883' post='2216687']
My hope is that by the time something cataclysic occurs, humans will have branched out into the solar system, and galaxy. perhaps starting with something even further out. i do know the closest galaxy is on a collision course with us, which is a long way away and wouldn't necessarily cause all collisions but also just changes in gravitational pulls to a larage degree.

my hope is that we're smart enough, politically or entreprenuially, to survive from indefinitely to the ends of the universe.
[/quote]

Why is it important that humans survive indefinitely to the ends of the universe? Is there something about us that is essential to the planet or the universe?

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1298957762' post='2216706']
Why is it important that humans survive indefinitely to the ends of the universe? Is there something about us that is essential to the planet or the universe?
[/quote]

No just the last kind of discrimination that is still kosher: specism. Animals are people too!! ;)

Edited by Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1298957762' post='2216706']
[/quote]

Well yeah! Someone has to be at the Restaurant to watch the end....

thessalonian

[/quote]

So can we expect to see higher beings in the future? Maybe that would dominate us? Will they come from out of humanity or from the animials? Is there a limit to the heights to which creatures can reach?

Edited by thessalonian

an intelligent atheist would question what you mean "higher". more intelligent? more adept at living in its environment? if it is the first, sure "higher" being can develop. the second? the majority of animals you see living today is very adept at living in in their environment.

a theist would say that "higher" beings refer to humans (having been endowed with a soul, and created in God's image); and others will not just spring out of the ground... unless God wills it.. but who can predict that?

[/quote]

Good show, Fidei.

Why do humans have to evolve again? Are they special? The most destructive species on earth, on its way to destroying life as we know it on this planet, (through catastrophic climate change, if atomic war doesn't work). The most likely scenario is that the human race dies out (see above scenarios) and other more adaptable "less evolved" (really?) species take over, microbes, insects, successful mammals such as rats, etc.

Answer: in millions of years, life would evolve and some other dominant species would evolve, be wiped out, and other species evolve.

Most atheists aren't scientists but are interested in science. However, most scientists are atheists.

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1298949139' post='2216678']No. I don't think so, but they tend to lean heavily on science for their arguments.[/quote]As a former strong atheist, I will agree that atheism tends to be a student of science, philosophy, education, and medicine.

Which isn't necessarily bad. We need scientists, engineers, doctors, teachers...[quote name='fidei defensor' timestamp='1298951007' post='2216690']I respectfully agree. Simple answer, who knows.[/quote]I think the most honest answer is, "[i]we don't know[/i]" to if similar human life would develop again. It is purely speculative. [quote name='jkaands' timestamp='1299006852' post='2216836']Answer: in millions of years, life would evolve and some other dominant species would evolve, be wiped out, and other species evolve.

Most atheists aren't scientists but are interested in science. However, most scientists are atheists.[/quote]I respectfully agree. Yes, the extinction of homo sapians sapians ([i]humanity[/i]) is relativity certain, it is not a matter of [b]if[/b] but of [b][i]when[/i][/b].

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat