An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Community/communities Are You Discerning With?

Cherie

[color=#800080][b]So, if you are so inclined to let us know, what communities are you discerning with?[/b] [/color]
-Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma, MI
-Sisters of Christian Charity
-I [i]wish[/i] I could be discerning with the Sisters of Life, but my medical history rules me out as a candidate. Still, such a beautiful, beautiful community!!
-I recently got interested in the Nashville Dominicans...not sure if I would be a candidate or not

[color=#800080][b]Have you visited or wrote to them yet? [/b][/color]
-Visited with a local RSM community, but have not made it out to the Motherhouse in Alma yet.
-Visited the SCC Motherhouse in Mendham, NJ
-Met some Sisters of Life at a Co-Workers of Life training in NYC...hoping to go on a young women's retreat with them this year. Even if I'm not called to enter there, I still love their charism and their community :)
-Filled out the online Inquiry form for the NDs, but no contact yet...

[color=#800080][b]Anything that particularly draws you to them?[/b][/color]
[b]-RSM:[/b] community prayer + daily Holy Hour, fourth vow of service, seem to have strong theological/philosophical formation, beautiful articulation of the dignity of women (true Catholic-style feminism!), opportunity for advanced professional/academic training
[b]-SCC:[/b] daily Eucharistic devotion, focus on serving the poor
[b]-NDs:[/b] contemplative/active lifestyle, strong theological/philosophical formation, beautiful liturgy (even though I have not been blessed with musical/vocal talent!), opportunity for ongoing academic/professional development, ...and might I add, really nice habits ;)

Ahhh, I want to be a sister [i]now! [/i]What I [i]don't[/i] want to do is study cardiac physiology. BUT that is what I am off to do.

+Pax Christi,
Sophia

Since two weeks ago, I'm a aspirant of the Benedictine nuns in the Benelux. :blush: The nuns live a traditional monastic life of prayer, work and study in accordance with the ancient Rule of St Benedict. At the heart of their life is the praise of God, expressed through the solemn celebration of the sacred liturgy.

One year ago, I was a postulant by an active order but God wants me more contemplative. He works in mysterious ways! :hehe2:

[quote name='Rocamadour' timestamp='1317056918' post='2310477']
Since two weeks ago, I'm a aspirant of the Benedictine nuns in the Benelux. :blush: The nuns live a traditional monastic life of prayer, work and study in accordance with the ancient Rule of St Benedict. At the heart of their life is the praise of God, expressed through the solemn celebration of the sacred liturgy.

One year ago, I was a postulant by an active order but God wants me more contemplative. He works in mysterious ways! :hehe2:
[/quote]

That's wonderful! Continued prayers!

What wonderful news! Since I have dubbed myself the "unofficial prayer warrior grandma" of VS, you can be assured you're on my
L O N G (and getting longer by the day, it seems) prayer list.

brandelynmarie

[/quote]

Do they have a website? :)

[quote name='Andrew' timestamp='1317087122' post='2310740']
Prayers for all of you!
[/quote]

Thanks Sr. Andrew!

[quote name='sophia13' timestamp='1317056529' post='2310475']
[color=#800080][b]So, if you are so inclined to let us know, what communities are you discerning with?[/b] [/color]
-Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma, MI
-Sisters of Christian Charity
-I [i]wish[/i] I could be discerning with the Sisters of Life, but my medical history rules me out as a candidate. Still, such a beautiful, beautiful community!!
-I recently got interested in the Nashville Dominicans...not sure if I would be a candidate or not

[color=#800080][b]Have you visited or wrote to them yet? [/b][/color]
-Visited with a local RSM community, but have not made it out to the Motherhouse in Alma yet.
-Visited the SCC Motherhouse in Mendham, NJ
-Met some Sisters of Life at a Co-Workers of Life training in NYC...hoping to go on a young women's retreat with them this year. Even if I'm not called to enter there, I still love their charism and their community :)
-Filled out the online Inquiry form for the NDs, but no contact yet...

[color=#800080][b]Anything that particularly draws you to them?[/b][/color]
[b]-RSM:[/b] community prayer + daily Holy Hour, fourth vow of service, seem to have strong theological/philosophical formation, beautiful articulation of the dignity of women (true Catholic-style feminism!), opportunity for advanced professional/academic training
[b]-SCC:[/b] daily Eucharistic devotion, focus on serving the poor
[b]-NDs:[/b] contemplative/active lifestyle, strong theological/philosophical formation, beautiful liturgy (even though I have not been blessed with musical/vocal talent!), opportunity for ongoing academic/professional development, ...and might I add, really nice habits ;)

Ahhh, I want to be a sister [i]now! [/i]What I [i]don't[/i] want to do is study cardiac physiology. BUT that is what I am off to do.

+Pax Christi,
Sophia
[/quote]

It's wonderful to read that you are discerning with the Religious Sisters of Mercy as well. They are such a beautiful order and I cannot wait to meet the Sisters in November. :)

AccountDeleted

[/quote]

Where are these nuns? Which country.... more info on them??

These nuns where I'm talking about are the Benedictine nuns in the Netherlands, Our Lady Abbey Oosterhout, in dutch: Onze Lieve Vrouw Abdij Oosterhout. You can find them on this [url="http://www.olvabdijoosterhout.nl/"]link[/url] (it's in dutch but you can use the language toolbar of Google or something else).

brandelynmarie

Even with the Google translation, I love what is written about the novitiate. Thank you & prayers for you & your aspirancy!

Novitiate
Onset and sister are. Are you kidding? Such a radical choice, which do not at once! It's going from one road: a first meeting, struck by the silence and space, the people, the liturgy, and especially God's voice lures.
[left].[/left] It awakened desire, but also ask many questions. Is this for me? It's nice, but can I? It is not too severe, too lonely or too much with more people around me? It is a quest, along with a sister who listens and thinks, the novice mistress, confidant and sounding board on behalf of the community.
In the novitiate, there is time to learn and work, pray, talk and get used to. All around one question: Do I seek God, really? God really wants this life for me? Is this the way of my happiness?
Step by step the road. Only after one year there is the clothing and receive a religious name. After two years novitiate followed temporary vows for three years. [left].[/left] Only then the solemn vows: a definite choice for a monastic life in obedience to God in this community. A covenant for life, sealed by God's love and faithfulness.

[quote name='Rocamadour' timestamp='1317097960' post='2310783']
These nuns where I'm talking about are the Benedictine nuns in the Netherlands, Our Lady Abbey Oosterhout, in dutch: Onze Lieve Vrouw Abdij Oosterhout. You can find them on this [url="http://www.olvabdijoosterhout.nl/"]link[/url] (it's in dutch but you can use the language toolbar of Google or something else).
[/quote]

This abbey belongs to the congregation of Solesmes Benedictine nuns, so although it was founded from Wisques I believe, the center for this congregation is Sainte Cecile de Solesmes. (The monks have a separate abbey with a different name.) That means Dom Prosper Gueranger osb of course.

Even if you don't read Dutch, on this page of the site you can see the photo of Abbess Marie Cecile de Jesus, a/k/a Cecile "Jenny" Bruyere.

[url="http://www.olvabdijoosterhout.nl/index.php?page=950"]http://www.olvabdijoosterhout.nl/index.php?page=950[/url]

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1317135142' post='2310989']

This abbey belongs to the congregation of Solesmes Benedictine nuns, so although it was founded from Wisques I believe, the center for this congregation is Sainte Cecile de Solesmes. (The monks have a separate abbey with a different name.) That means Dom Prosper Gueranger osb of course.
[/quote]

That's true. :)

• 4 weeks later...
LaPetiteSoeur

[b]So, if you are so inclined to let us know, what communities are you discerning with?[/b]

The Franciscans of the Eucharist in Chicago!

[b]Have you visited/written to them yet?[/b]
Visited, no. Perhaps this summer. Written/talked on the phone? Definitely yes! Fr. Bob is going to call me this week to talk more. I talked to Sr. A last week and it was so wonderful to talk to her!

[b]Anything in particular that attracts you to them?[/b]
Their prayer life: the pray Lauds, Vespers, and Compline together, and the other hours throughout the day. They also have much time for private devotions (rosary, which is suggested to pray everyday, Divine Mercy, etc). Their work is exactly what I've always felt called to do (teach impoverished children and work with the poor), I just never could find an order that did both. It was always one or the other. They have an hour (I think) of adoration a day and hope to one day have perpetual adoration with community members participating.

[b]Note:[/b] I still like the NDs, and will still be so happy whenever they get more sisters! I stayed open, though, to God and through Phatmass found these sisters. I contacted them on a whim and heard back the next week.

Whenever I contacted the NDs, I was always so nervous. When I talked to the FEs, I was never nervous calling, or talking to them. It was as though they were the people I was supposed to find all along! We shall see.....

[indent=4.625]

[/indent]