Cherie Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 Canon 1251: "Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, [i]unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday." [/i]Just in case anyone was wondering! Today is the Solemnity of the Annunciation. [i]Ave Maria, gratia plena![/i] Whether or not you do so in public (would cause scandal, or be an opportunity of Marian evangelization?) is up to you. But I just thought y'all would want to know! [i] [/i]
Piccoli Fiori JMJ Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 +JMJ Thank you for your courteous reminder! Our pastor has been reminding us that we can eat meat for the past week, lol. He also told the school children that whatever they gave up for lent (cookies, candy, etc.) they could enjoy today, but they should also do something good today in honor of the solemnity. I'll still be abstaining, but not for the reason mentioned above.
OnlySunshine Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 (edited) I'm eating a cheeseburger in honor of Mary! Edited March 25, 2011 by MaterMisericordiae
homeschoolmom Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 I'm so excited! My dd reminded me of this this morning. I'm going to a homeschool board planning meating/pot luck and it was looking like there was not going to be much that I could eat (that I want to eat anyway...) Now I can enjoy a BBQ sammich or a t[i][/i]aco or something yummy! And pop (which was my personal fast)! Soooo happy.
Tony Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 Im currently eating a ham, salami and coagulated milk sammich. It's probably better that I don't lapse on my actual Lenten commitments though
let_go_let_God Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 I don't know about you, but I just feel funny about stopping the whole abstaining from meat and such because of the Solemnity. Yes I understand that it is a very special and honorary day, but it's hard for me to put a break in there mentally. I did the same thing when my 21st birthday/golden birthday fell on Ash Wednesday. My campus priest gave me a dispensation so I could celebrate and our Campus Minister explained that birthdays should be treated as Solemnities, but it just didn't strike me as being prudent and correct. I guess I'm just weird but I'm going to stick with rabbit food today. God bless- LGLG
Debra Little Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 [quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1301066098' post='2223192'] Canon 1251: "Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, [i]unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday." [/i]Just in case anyone was wondering! Today is the Solemnity of the Annunciation. [i]Ave Maria, gratia plena![/i] Whether or not you do so in public (would cause scandal, or be an opportunity of Marian evangelization?) is up to you. But I just thought y'all would want to know! [i] [/i] [/quote] cool but i am making up for last week when i ate meat by mistake.
Debra Little Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 [quote name='let_go_let_God' timestamp='1301072414' post='2223224'] I don't know about you, but I just feel funny about stopping the whole abstaining from meat and such because of the Solemnity. Yes I understand that it is a very special and honorary day, but it's hard for me to put a break in there mentally. I did the same thing when my 21st birthday/golden birthday fell on Ash Wednesday. My campus priest gave me a dispensation so I could celebrate and our Campus Minister explained that birthdays should be treated as Solemnities, but it just didn't strike me as being prudent and correct. I guess I'm just weird but I'm going to stick with rabbit food today. God bless- LGLG [/quote] hey rabbit food is good stuff. a salad sounds good.[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1301068572' post='2223204'] I'm eating a cheeseburger in honor of Mary! [/quote] go for it!
Tony Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 [quote name='let_go_let_God' timestamp='1301072414' post='2223224'] I don't know about you, but I just feel funny about stopping the whole abstaining from meat and such because of the Solemnity. Yes I understand that it is a very special and honorary day, but it's hard for me to put a break in there mentally. I did the same thing when my 21st birthday/golden birthday fell on Ash Wednesday. My campus priest gave me a dispensation so I could celebrate and our Campus Minister explained that birthdays should be treated as Solemnities, but it just didn't strike me as being prudent and correct. I guess I'm just weird but I'm going to stick with rabbit food today. God bless- LGLG [/quote] I can see your point, but for me, It made me think about what is special about today
Debra Little Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 [quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1301069750' post='2223214'] I'm so excited! My dd reminded me of this this morning. I'm going to a homeschool board planning meating/pot luck and it was looking like there was not going to be much that I could eat (that I want to eat anyway...) Now I can enjoy a BBQ sammich or a taco (amazingly good) or something yummy! And pop (which was my personal fast)! Soooo happy. [/quote] pop is the hard one eh? i have given up diet coke for lent because it costs me the most to give it up. i still drink pop but oh how much i want a diet coke. i almost gave in the other day but God helped me to choose some other kind i wanted the least.
OnlySunshine Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 (edited) [quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1301073340' post='2223235'] pop is the hard one eh? i have given up diet coke for lent because it costs me the most to give it up. i still drink pop but oh how much i want a diet coke. i almost gave in the other day but God helped me to choose some other kind i wanted the least. [/quote] LOL, you think that's rough? Try giving it up almost 6 months and see how you feel. This is what happened to me. I've been without a Coke or any other commercial soda since November 1st, 2010. I feel so much better, too. I used to drink like 5 or 6 twelve-ounce cans of regular Coke a day and I realized that if I didn't change that, I was going to get diabetes really quickly. It's all about willpower. I tried giving it up in the past and would go for about a month or two and then I would be right back to drinking it again. Now, if I am craving a soda, I go for sparkling water beverages or coffee (if I need a little caffeine). I know if I can do it, anyone can. Edited March 25, 2011 by MaterMisericordiae
dominicansoul Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 [quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1301069091' post='2223207'] YES! I will drink beer in honor of Mary! [/quote] I'm taking cough suppressant laced with Codeine!!!! HAPPY SOLEMNITY Y'ALL!!!!!
rkwright Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 I am really excited about this. Not so much eating meat today, but the idea that I can enjoy a coke today (one of my lenten sacrifices) makes the day seem really special. For me its not so much I am craving a coke, but being allowed to on this day for Mary makes enjoying that coke less about me and more about celebrating the feast day.
franciscanheart Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 I'm having that Funfetti cake I baked for dominicalsoul and DeusTeAmat and dUSt but forgot to bring.
Blind Posted March 25, 2011 Posted March 25, 2011 [quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1301073090' post='2223232'] cool but i am making up for last week when i ate meat by mistake. [/quote] thats smart. [quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1301077251' post='2223248'] LOL, you think that's rough? Try giving it up almost 6 months and see how you feel. This is what happened to me. I've been without a Coke or any other commercial soda since November 1st, 2010. I feel so much better, too. I used to drink like 5 or 6 twelve-ounce cans of regular Coke a day and I realized that if I didn't change that, I was going to get diabetes really quickly. It's all about willpower. I tried giving it up in the past and would go for about a month or two and then I would be right back to drinking it again. Now, if I am craving a soda, I go for sparkling water beverages or coffee (if I need a little caffeine). I know if I can do it, anyone can. [/quote] I agree I quite smoking and consuming to much alcohol for the new year that was rough at first and I have smoked a couple times so I know its really rough giving up something esp as good as Coke.
elizabeth09 Posted March 26, 2011 Posted March 26, 2011 (edited) I drank 4 cups of coffee in honor of our Lady yesterday. (I gave up coffee for Lent, even Sundays.) Edited March 26, 2011 by elizabeth09
Norseman82 Posted March 26, 2011 Posted March 26, 2011 [quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1301077251' post='2223248'] LOL, you think that's rough? Try giving it up almost 6 months and see how you feel. This is what happened to me. I've been without a Coke or any other commercial soda since November 1st, 2010. I feel so much better, too. I used to drink like 5 or 6 twelve-ounce cans of regular Coke a day and I realized that if I didn't change that, I was going to get diabetes really quickly. It's all about willpower. I tried giving it up in the past and would go for about a month or two and then I would be right back to drinking it again. Now, if I am craving a soda, I go for sparkling water beverages or coffee (if I need a little caffeine). I know if I can do it, anyone can. [/quote] I agree. I quit caffeine cold trukey shortly before Thanksgiving 2010, but in my case it was due to high blood pressure. I asked my doctor if he could write a note to the Vatican so I could get some credit for when Lent came around.
Lil'Monster Posted March 26, 2011 Posted March 26, 2011 [quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1301171136' post='2223544'] I agree. I quit caffeine cold trukey shortly before Thanksgiving 2010, but in my case it was due to high blood pressure. I asked my doctor if he could write a note to the Vatican so I could get some credit for when Lent came around. [/quote]
Tony Posted March 26, 2011 Posted March 26, 2011 I'm giving up caffeine this lent.. I kinda like it. I feel calmer and sleeping better. I wonder if I should give it up all together?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now