An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Should I Do With My Life?

MissScripture

MissScripture

So, with my college education rapidly coming to an end, I'm trying to figure out...what should I be when I grow up?

You think you're going one place, but you end up someplace else. You don't know where you are going until you get there. ~Grandpa Bud

CatholicCowgirl

I think I am in the same boat. I have just one year left and I'm not sure anymore if what I am going to college for is what I want to do anymore. I just try to pray alot right now till God tells me. But I think He may have to hit me with a 2x4 at some point here in the near future.

MissScripture

[quote name='Era Might' timestamp='1301538901' post='2224925']
You think you're going one place, but you end up someplace else. You don't know where you are going until you get there. ~Grandpa Bud
[/quote]
:proud: Thanks, I know that is my signature, but I need to be reminded of that every so often.

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1301539602' post='2224932']
An astronaut!!
[/quote]
I am usually in outer space, anyway. :hehe:

My best advice is that there is a difference between a job, a career, and a vocation. My dad's job was dirty, back-breaking, and humbling. He left his career behind because of a woman. His vocation was to be a family man, a husband and father. His job allowed him to fulfill his vocation. He would have been happier had he stayed in his career, but he was fulfilled because he found his vocation and followed it. If you can combine all three, then you will be one of those people who smiles on the way to work.

MissScripture

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1301544118' post='2224959']
My best advice is that there is a difference between a job, a career, and a vocation. My dad's job was dirty, back-breaking, and humbling. He left his career behind because of a woman. His vocation was to be a family man, a husband and father. His job allowed him to fulfill his vocation. He would have been happier had he stayed in his career, but he was fulfilled because he found his vocation and followed it. If you can combine all three, then you will be one of those people who smiles on the way to work.
[/quote]
Yeah, I'm learning that my vocation really is the most important, and I just need to figure out a job to get rid of the debt I incurred, thinking my career would be the most important...

I think you should be a private forensic accountant who does contract work a a huge and enormously successful law firm that's under contract to either the FBI or the CIA. And I think you shoudl write a television comedy about your adventures.

Edited by Luigi

I think Grandpa Bud has it right. I entered college thinking I was going to be an electrical engineer, ended up being a psychology major thinking that I was going to grad school to be a psychologist and now I am getting ready to go visit Dominican communities. I will say this though. My job enables me to fulfill my vocation and I LOVE MY JOB!!!! I work with drunks, junkies, abused kids and I love it. I come home exhausted and with a smile and I go to work with a smile. I have never felt so fulfilled at a job. So I hope that whatever community God leads me to will allow me to use my gift of working with others in a counseling capacity because I love doing it and I am good at it because that is the gift God gave me.

HollyWilliams

Whatever you choose to do with your life, make sure it is spent serving God in some way or another. :)