An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Should I Do With My Life?

MissScripture

The vocations director of my diocese said that he once was having lunch with a very bright college student about this same topic and the student said to him, "I don't kow what God wants me to do with my life, but I do know that he wants me to make a difference and it is going to be hard."

So keep that in mind....remain open to hear God's will for your life and pray for the courage to do what he asks.

MissScripture

[quote name='CatholicCowgirl' timestamp='1301539829' post='2224936']
I think I am in the same boat. I have just one year left and I'm not sure anymore if what I am going to college for is what I want to do anymore. I just try to pray alot right now till God tells me. But I think He may have to hit me with a 2x4 at some point here in the near future.
[/quote]
I've been asking him to hit me with one! But I kind of think a lack of a clear answer is an answer. I also think I tend to over-think. :hehe:

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1301551943' post='2224994']
[img]http://cdn2.iofferphoto.com/img/item/542/746/81/o_1_marines_want_you_mprtp.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
rotfl :lol4:

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1301552138' post='2224995']
I think Grandpa Bud has it right. I entered college thinking I was going to be an electrical engineer, ended up being a psychology major thinking that I was going to grad school to be a psychologist and now I am getting ready to go visit Dominican communities. I will say this though. My job enables me to fulfill my vocation and I LOVE MY JOB!!!! I work with drunks, junkies, abused kids and I love it. I come home exhausted and with a smile and I go to work with a smile. I have never felt so fulfilled at a job. So I hope that whatever community God leads me to will allow me to use my gift of working with others in a counseling capacity because I love doing it and I am good at it because that is the gift God gave me.
[/quote]
It's pretty much been the quote of my life. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd marry a guy I met on Phatmass! lol. But throughout school, aside from a mid-freshman year crisis, I thought I had my schooling figured out...and now, not so much. Kind of, again, because of my Grandpa Bud, who also was a firm believer in family comes first.

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' timestamp='1301604554' post='2225144']
You should stay at your home, be pregnant and make your husband sandwiches..
[/quote]
We wish...but that doesn't pay the student loans off...

MissScripture

[quote name='VoTeckam' timestamp='1301606737' post='2225151']
The vocations director of my diocese said that he once was having lunch with a very bright college student about this same topic and the student said to him, "I don't kow what God wants me to do with my life, but I do know that he wants me to make a difference and it is going to be hard."

So keep that in mind....remain open to hear God's will for your life and pray for the courage to do what he asks.
[/quote]
I had a conversation with a priest earlier this year. He was the priest at a church named in honor of St. Philomena, and since she has been my patron Saint over the past year, I was asking him about the parish. And we got to talking about why I loved her so much, and all of my heart problems, and he asked me, "What do you think you're called to do?" I thought it was kind of a strange question, since he knew what I was in school for, but even then, it strikes me that I couldn't say THAT was what I was supposed to do. It caught me off guard for a second, and then I told him I thought I was supposed to be a mom. But I just keep thinking about when he asked me that, and I think it's significant...but like I said, I think I over-think things sometimes.

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1301615170' post='2225164']
Phatmass Mod.
[/quote]
The only way being a mod could get better is if dUSt paid! :hehe:

Roamin Catholic

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1301621335' post='2225195']
We wish...but that doesn't pay the student loans off...
[/quote]

I need a sandwich.. It would give you a purpose in life. To keep me fed!

Live it to the fullest...

[indent]I am going to reveal to you the secret of sanctity and happiness.[/indent][indent]Every day for five minutes control your imagination and close your eyes to the things of sense and your ears to all the noises of the world, in order to enter into yourself. Then, in the sanctity of your baptized soul (which is the temple of the Holy Spirit), speak to that Divine Spirit, saying to Him:[/indent][indent][i][b]O Holy Spirit, beloved of my soul, I adore You. Enlighten me, guide me, strengthen me, console me. Tell me what I should do. Give me your orders. I promise to submit myself to all that You desire of me and accept all that You permit to happen to me. Let me only know Your Will.[/b][/i][/indent][indent]If you do this, your life will flow along happily, serenely, and full of consolation, even in the midst of trials. Grace will be proportioned to the trial, giving you strength to carry it, and you will arrive at the Gate of Paradise laden with merit. This submission to the Holy Spirit is the secret of sanctity.[/indent]
-Cardinal Mercier (1851-1926)

I've begun praying this prayer for direction.

thessalonian

[quote name='Era Might' timestamp='1301538901' post='2224925']
Bono think Bono're going one place, but Bono end up someplace else. Bono don't know where Bono aren't going until Bono get there. ~Grandpa Bud
[/quote]

But Bono never get there because when your there your here. WOW dat'S DEEP.

• 2 weeks later...
MissScripture
:wall: Every time I think I'm starting to figure things out, something or someone confuses me again. :wall:

dominicansoul

CHICA, just live each day at a time to the best of your abilities and in the duties God is giving you on that day at that moment.... don't worry about what you should wear, or what you should eat, or be anxious of your financial troubles or what you should do with your life, cos HE has it all planned out....just follow Him daily, since you have no clue where you are heading.....follow Him and trust Him, even blindly...and know His plans for you are to be happy, and to be fulfilled....

[color="#000080"][b][size="7"]For I know well the plans I have in mind for you, says the LORD, plans for your welfare, not for woe! plans to give you a future full of hope.[/size][/b][/color]--Jer 29:11

[size="1"](and look forward to the day when you are preggers and bringing new life into the world....i can't wait!!!)[/size]

MissScripture

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1302479267' post='2227303']
CHICA, just live each day at a time to the best of your abilities and in the duties God is giving you on that day at that moment.... don't worry about what you should wear, or what you should eat, or be anxious of your financial troubles or what you should do with your life, cos HE has it all planned out....just follow Him daily, since you have no clue where you are heading.....follow Him and trust Him, even blindly...and know His plans for you are to be happy, and to be fulfilled....

[color="#000080"][b][size="7"]For I know well the plans I have in mind for you, says the LORD, plans for your welfare, not for woe! plans to give you a future full of hope.[/size][/b][/color]--Jer 29:11

[size="1"](and look forward to the day when you are preggers and bringing new life into the world....i can't wait!!!)[/size]
[/quote]
Could you please tell this to everyone else who feels the need to comment on my life? I mean, I know that they're all just trying to be helpful, but REALLY? I didn't make it this far in school by being an idiot! I think I can figure out that by using my degree I would make more money than by not using it, but I DON'T CARE! *sigh* I just can't wait to be back home! 17 days!!!

fides' Jack

[quote name='Roamin_Catholic' timestamp='1301604554' post='2225144']
You should stay at your home, be pregnant and make your husband sandwiches..
[/quote]

Maybe more of a personal conversation...

I was thinking more along the lines of "You should be a person who moves to Colorado."