An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictines

InPersonaChriste

InPersonaChriste

From what I have seen their are only 3 potential Benedictine discerners on Phatmass. And I thought their would be way more but I guess I was mistaken.. I didnt wan't to go off topic in Franciscanheart's Franciscan thread so I decided to start this little one for the Benedictines.... :D

:nerd:

there may not be many Benedictine discerners right now, but there are a few Benedictine Oblates...like me.

we're small but mighty!!

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='linnie' timestamp='1302022415' post='2226130']
there may not be many Benedictine discerners right now, but there are a few Benedictine Oblates...like me.

we're small but mighty!!
[/quote]

amesome!

I'm interested in Benedictines, but I really don't "get" them... I posted about that in the Rule of St. Benedict thread but haven't gotten a response yet. I hope there are some more of you, because I'm curious yet confused [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]

So if there are Benedictines here, please help me understand the Rule and life more! I could post questions, but I'm afraid they're going to come off as sounding very biased. One of the things that does draw me to the Benedictines is their love of the liturgy. So if anyone could care to elaborate on that, it would be a.wesome!

And for those who are oblates, I'm wondering how one integrates the Rule into one's life. It seems so focused on the monastery and on the actual life of a monk. I feel like it would never sink into my heart because of that. But obviously, it works for some people, so how do you oblates do it? How do you make sense of the parts of the Rule that don't seem to apply to you?

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1302027719' post='2226149']
I'm interested in Benedictines, but I really don't "get" them... I posted about that in the Rule of St. Benedict thread but haven't gotten a response yet. I hope there are some more of you, because I'm curious yet confused [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]

So if there are Benedictines here, please help me understand the Rule and life more! I could post questions, but I'm afraid they're going to come off as sounding very biased. One of the things that does draw me to the Benedictines is their love of the liturgy. So if anyone could care to elaborate on that, it would be a.wesome!

And for those who are oblates, I'm wondering how one integrates the Rule into one's life. It seems so focused on the monastery and on the actual life of a monk. I feel like it would never sink into my heart because of that. But obviously, it works for some people, so how do you oblates do it? How do you make sense of the parts of the Rule that don't seem to apply to you?
[/quote]

I studied the Rule of Benedict for 2 years in the monastery. I too felt drawn by the love of Liturgy and really the balance they strive for with Lectio, Liturgy and Labor, however, I am not Benedictine. Much of the rule written by Benedict does not apply to even monastics. For instance children are not in the monastery any more and also we no longer beat our children with the rod. It is my understanding that the Rule of Benedict is taken largely from the Rule of the Master, Cassian, the Psalms and the Gospel of Matthew. It offers a way of life a way of living out Gospel values with heaven as the goal. When reading it, try not to interpret it literally, but rather, learn from the wisdom, the gentle yet firm manner of being and the mercy that continues to pour through all the rules.

I will offer you an example of what I am talking about. In disciplining a monk for a grave fault, the Abbot first speaks to the brother in private (twice). If the monk persists in his sin, he is excommunicated (not allowed to join the community, remaining in solitude). Still if that does not work, then he is beaten. If after all of this, the monk still does not amend, then the Abbot is called to pray for the monk (See Rule of Benedict Chapters 23-28). How can we apply this to our life? We can learn how to relate to persons whom are under our guidance and authority. If the person commits a fault, talk to that person about it and then if the person persists, involve others in hopes of bringing conversion. If still that does not work, never give up, but rather, pray, persisting in love. The goal of the correction is not "to punish", rather, it is to bring about a conversion.

I am sure you can find many ways to apply this to your own life, beyond my little example. Also, there are references to scripture throughout the R of B which you can meditate upon.

Please keep in mind that I only studied the Rule of Benedict while in monastic formation. I am not at all an expert. This is just what I learned personally and how I am able to apply the Rule to my life, even when I am not in a monastery. Hope that helps!

Edited by Santa Cruz

kavalamyself

I know at least 3 people who are discerning Benedictine life but have not disclosed that and I also know 2 people who visit here but never post.

BarbTherese

[quote]I'm interested in Benedictines, but I really don't "get" them... I posted about that in the Rule of St. Benedict thread but haven't gotten a response yet. I hope there are some more of you, because I'm curious yet confused

And for those who are oblates, I'm wondering how one integrates the Rule into one's life. It seems so focused on the monastery and on the actual life of a monk. I feel like it would never sink into my heart because of that. But obviously, it works for some people, so how do you oblates do it? How do you make sense of the parts of the Rule that don't seem to apply to you?[/quote]

You may be interested in this Yahoo Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/a_few_thoughts/

Once registered with the Group, one receives a daily email with a meditation/reflection on some point of the Rule. These meditations/reflections are in the context of life in the laity rather than strictly monastic. I think the Group also offers links to discussion sites or groups on the Rule of St. Benedict.

salveregina10

I am a Junior Sister in a Benedictine monastery, we are an international congregation living in monasteries and doing missionary work. The Rule of St. Benedict, which has been in use for over 1500 years has so much wisdom, it is a gift to us. What I appreciate is its practicality, the balance of prayer & work and the centrality of Christ. It helps me to find Christ in my Prioress, my Sisters, our work and our prayer together. For us in a special way it helps us keep balance between our missionary spirit and community life. I would be happy to answer questions you have about it as best I can. God bless you for your search!

I am discerning a Benedictine/ Dominican vocation but I've only just pitched up on these forums[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
It's worth checking out the constitutions of individual Benedictine Congregations as well because they each translate the rule to their own contexts. Observance, enclosure and apostolic works all vary.

I'd recommend a book by Esther De Waal called 'Seeking God: The Way of St. Benedict [url="http://www.amazon.com/Seeking-God-Way-St-Benedict/dp/0814613888"]http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0814613888[/url]

She has written some other great books as well and they would all probably be worth checking out![img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/nerd.gif[/img]

JulianofLdn

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1302027719' post='2226149']
[/quote]

Making my first post here at Phatmass (hello, everybody!) to agree with you :) I like the Benedictines too - from what I've seen of them - but am not sure what their individual charism is. I 'get' what the Carmelites are about, the Franciscans, the Dominicans... but the only thing I think of when I think of the Benedictines is hospitality.

But I like them, very much. St Cecilia's Abbey looks beautiful. I'm not discerning with them (because I'm not discerning with anybody...yet) but I'll certainly be visiting them at some stage.

[quote name='JulianofLdn' timestamp='1302157498' post='2226639']
Making my first post here at Phatmass (hello, everybody!) to agree with you :) I like the Benedictines too - from what I've seen of them - but am not sure what their individual charism is. I 'get' what the Carmelites are about, the Franciscans, the Dominicans... but the only thing I think of when I think of the Benedictines is hospitality.

But I like them, very much. St Cecilia's Abbey looks beautiful. I'm not discerning with them (because I'm not discerning with anybody...yet) but I'll certainly be visiting them at some stage.

[/quote]

I'd say the Benedictine charism is prayer, work and stability of community. Everything else they do comes from that. St.Benedict founded western monasticism so its a big legacy and many orders have drawn on it since. I think that's why it can get confusing to see how they are different in some ways to those founded afterwards. I think the stability to community for life (and usually place) allows Benedictine's to focus on those areas that they are known for like hospitality, education, agriculture (plus other monastic industries) and the liturgy.

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

I went to a Benedictine high-school where we were taught by monks on a regular basis, and studied the Rule of St. Benedict our Junior year. From my understanding of being surrounded by the monks for four years both in the classroom and in liturgy (I joined them for Vespers regularly and have spent some time on retreat at the abbey), their charism can be summed up in two different phrases: Ora et Labora and "That in all things God may be glorified" (Rule of St. Benedict Chapter 57). At this point in time, I have no idea what God wants me to do, but if He is calling me to the priesthood, then I think the Benedictines would have a very high place on the probability scale. I don't post a whole lot, and don't come on here much anymore, but I LOVE the Benedictines :)

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='NazFarmer' timestamp='1302573776' post='2227673']
I went to a Benedictine high-school where we were taught by monks on a regular basis, and studied the Rule of St. Benedict our Junior year. From my understanding of being surrounded by the monks for four years both in the classroom and in liturgy (I joined them for Vespers regularly and have spent some time on retreat at the abbey), their charism can be summed up in two different phrases: Ora et Labora and "That in all things God may be glorified" (Rule of St. Benedict Chapter 57). At this point in time, I have no idea what God wants me to do, but if He is calling me to the priesthood, then I think the Benedictines would have a very high place on the probability scale. I don't post a whole lot, and don't come on here much anymore, but I LOVE the Benedictines :)
[/quote]

That's amesome that you were taught by Benedictines! We don't have any Benedictine monks in my diocese. :cry2: It makes me sad. But we do have some other good and holy men and religious orders.

• 2 weeks later...

InPersonaChriste,

Happy Easter!

I just spent holy week and Easter within the cloister of a traditional Benedictine abbey in France (that was recommended to me by my parish priest). They allow women who are discerning their vocation into the cloister, and you get to experience their life - singing the offices, novice classes, recreation, work, meals, having your own cell, everything! It was definitely an interesting experience. I especially liked receiving Communion through the little grille, and the chanting of the offices is very beautiful! Their penances really made an impression on me too - for example, on Good Friday they kneel during meals! But it was a little difficult to get used to their schedule (they don't waste a minute of time!), the fact that I couldn't leave the cloister, and trying to really pray the offices when I couldn't understand a lot of the Latin! Plus, I was surprised at how little time they spend in silent prayer or adoration (as compared to some other religious communities I know - i.e. Carmelites, Community of St. John). It is a wonderful vocation, though - very focused on a reverent, beautiful liturgy (offices and Mass)! Anyway, if you get a chance to do a "live-in" period with a group of Benedictines (maybe you already have), I think it's definitely a good idea! The Novice Mistress told me that most young women who do the "live-in" experience know within a day or two of being there whether or not it is a good fit with who they are. Here are a couple videos of the abbey I visited: [url="http://it.gloria.tv/?media=31562"]http://it.gloria.tv/?media=31562[/url] [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCyTSTBD8YY"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PCyTSTBD8YY[/url] (They have 2 American nuns, and a few other English-speakers).

Also - for any men out there discerning a Benedictine vocation (or are interested in a more traditional community - Traditional Latin Mass, offices in Latin) - these nuns have a 'brother' abbey, St. Madeleine du Barroux: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3vgVLUw3qw"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=K3vgVLUw3qw[/url]