An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictines

InPersonaChriste

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='Amy G.' timestamp='1303837096' post='2233424']
InPersonaChriste,

Happy Easter!

I just spent holy week and Easter within the cloister of a traditional Benedictine abbey in France (that was recommended to me by my parish priest). They allow women who are discerning their vocation into the cloister, and you get to experience their life - singing the offices, novice classes, recreation, work, meals, having your own cell, everything! It was definitely an interesting experience. I especially liked receiving Communion through the little grille, and the chanting of the offices is very beautiful! Their penances really made an impression on me too - for example, on Good Friday they kneel during meals! But it was a little difficult to get used to their schedule (they don't waste a minute of time!), the fact that I couldn't leave the cloister, and trying to really pray the offices when I couldn't understand a lot of the Latin! Plus, I was surprised at how little time they spend in silent prayer or adoration (as compared to some other religious communities I know - i.e. Carmelites, Community of St. John). It is a wonderful vocation, though - very focused on a reverent, beautiful liturgy (offices and Mass)! Anyway, if you get a chance to do a "live-in" period with a group of Benedictines (maybe you already have), I think it's definitely a good idea! The Novice Mistress told me that most young women who do the "live-in" experience know within a day or two of being there whether or not it is a good fit with who they are. Here are a couple videos of the abbey I visited: [url="http://it.gloria.tv/?media=31562"]http://it.gloria.tv/?media=31562[/url] [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCyTSTBD8YY"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PCyTSTBD8YY[/url] (They have 2 American nuns, and a few other English-speakers).

Also - for any men out there discerning a Benedictine vocation (or are interested in a more traditional community - Traditional Latin Mass, offices in Latin) - these nuns have a 'brother' abbey, St. Madeleine du Barroux: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3vgVLUw3qw"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=K3vgVLUw3qw[/url]
[/quote]

You went to The Annunciation Abbey?!

Thats is so exciting! It is great to hear from a person who has experienced their life first hand in the convent. I hope to make a live-in with the semi-cloistered Benedictine Priory in Kansas. I was asked by cloistered nuns of the Visitation in Chile if I would like to live in for a week when I came for an interview. I declined for I did not have enough time to experience the cloistered walls(as it was a visit to my pregnant sister and brother in law who now has cancer. Visiting the nuns was not planned.). Hopefully God will, in time, give me another chance.

Praying for you!

IPC

MargaretTeresa

Yay for Benedictines! Aren't they known for hospitality, or am I just making that up?

I might have to post a thread seeing if I'm the only one really discerning the Paulines-FSP- like this. Thanks for this thread! I'm learning a lot!

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1303846704' post='2233517']
Yay for Benedictines! Aren't they known for hospitality, or am I just making that up?

I might have to post a thread seeing if I'm the only one really discerning the Paulines-FSP- like this. Thanks for this thread! I'm learning a lot!
[/quote]

My father frequently visited the Benedictines when my brothers were in Minor Seminary. They are very hospitable!

AccountDeleted

I just saw this thread. Actually, I am starting to discern a Benedictine Vocation despite the fact that I have spent the last four years discerning a Carmelite one! :) Should be an interesting ride. Thanks for the links - I will get that book and enjoyed watching the video too.

regina_coeli

To anyone who wants to understand the Benedictines, the novel [b][i]In This House of Brede[/i][/b] was written by Rumer Godden, who lived in the guesthouse at Stanbrook Abbey for several years. It is a beautiful depiction of monastic life.

I am a Benedictine Junior Monk at Christ in the Desert. We are a fairly traditional men's community in northern New Mexico, about 80 miles from Santa Fe. We follow the full Benedictine horarium. We use the Ordinary Form of the Mass, with varying amounts of Latin. I am not as active here as I used to be.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='regina_coeli' timestamp='1304000907' post='2234231']
To anyone who wants to understand the Benedictines, the novel [b][i]In This House of Brede[/i][/b] was written by Rumer Godden, who lived in the guesthouse at Stanbrook Abbey for several years. It is a beautiful depiction of monastic life.
[/quote]

Yes!

I read this over this past summer and it really helped me to understand the life of a Benedictine. And, although I'd never have imagined it possible, it also increased my love of the Church's sacred liturgy!

Something else I can think of is the following DVD- http://www.abbeycraftsandbooks.com.au/catalogue/category93/c143

While it is focused on the 5 women who live with the nuns for the 33 days, you do get to see a decent amount of their lives as Benedictine nuns and if you were to choose to buy it your supporting their life also. [They have a great book shop and candle shop] One thing though, it is in PAL format so those of you outside of Australia would need a DVD player able to play DVD's from outside your area.

Studiumecclesiae

I really love the Benedictines and I always have!

I am definitely considering joining a Benedictine convent. :nunpray:

krissylou

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1303846704' post='2233517']

[/quote]

Nope, you're right. The Rule tells them to "Receive guests as Christ." Now that typically means retreatants, but it used to just mean travellers. And remember this was before Motel 6. They were founded as the Roman Empire was falling to pieces, the world was dangerous, and providing a safe refuge for travellers was incredibly important.

Monte Cassino -- Benedict's first abbey -- is right along the main road between Rome and Naples. Boom! There it is!

If you're trying to hide away from the world, that's really bad planning! But if you're in "strategic withdrawal" from the world, but in a way to be a resource TO the world, then it is brilliant!

Carmelites, of course, would also say that they're a resource for the world. And they are! But it gets lived out in very different ways.

So, for instance, I go on retreat at a Trappistine abbey (they are a Benedictine reform and follow the Rule of Benedict). Before each Office there are piles of prayerbooks available for visitors, WITH BOOKMARKS IN ALL THE RIGHT PLACES. They weren't put there by elves! And if you show up and are new, one of the nuns will leave the choir and show you where all the relevant parts of the prayerbooks are. (I can't go into their space, but they can come into mine.) This isn't because they're lax, but because that's what their Rule emphasizes. A strict Carmel would never do this.

faithcecelia

[quote name='JulianofLdn' timestamp='1302157498' post='2226639']
Making my first post here at Phatmass (hello, everybody!) to agree with you :) I like the Benedictines too - from what I've seen of them - but am not sure what their individual charism is. I 'get' what the Carmelites are about, the Franciscans, the Dominicans... but the only thing I think of when I think of the Benedictines is hospitality.

But I like them, very much. St Cecilia's Abbey looks beautiful. I'm not discerning with them (because I'm not discerning with anybody...yet) but I'll certainly be visiting them at some stage.

[/quote]

I live in Ryde and go to Mass at St Cecilia's Abbey most weekdays. They seem a lovely community, a steady flow of postulants and lots of younger sisters, about 28 sisters in total I think. Their liturgy is beautiful and I enjoy being there for both Mass and vespers occasionally, but must admit I struggle with it all being Latin. The convent is actually on a residential street, which you wouldn't guess from their website, but backs onto parkland and is in a fairly quiet area. They have a darling extern who shared her own journey with me (I told her I had just had to leave Carmel) and it was so reassuring to be with someone who had struggled herself but persevered. She held up her wedding ring and told me 'It took me over 10years to get that, but I don't regret one moment'. In the early days, when I couldnt walk into a church without crying, she would come and put her arms around me and hold me. While I have never felt any call to the Benedictines, I can so clearly see that its a good, loving community.

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1304602211' post='2237487']
I live in Ryde and go to Mass at St Cecilia's Abbey most weekdays. They seem a lovely community, a steady flow of postulants and lots of younger sisters, about 28 sisters in total I think. Their liturgy is beautiful and I enjoy being there for both Mass and vespers occasionally, but must admit I struggle with it all being Latin. The convent is actually on a residential street, which you wouldn't guess from their website, but backs onto parkland and is in a fairly quiet area. They have a darling extern who shared her own journey with me (I told her I had just had to leave Carmel) and it was so reassuring to be with someone who had struggled herself but persevered. She held up her wedding ring and told me 'It took me over 10years to get that, but I don't regret one moment'. In the early days, when I couldnt walk into a church without crying, she would come and put her arms around me and hold me. While I have never felt any call to the Benedictines, I can so clearly see that its a good, loving community.
[/quote]

That is wonderful to hear! I just finished entering my application and I wish I had something as good to say about the Benedictine Spirituality as you have I am sure!

Studiumecclesiae

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1304602211' post='2237487']
[/quote]

Oh yea it's a very good community! Actually Carmel isn't quite far from the Benedictine way of life, even though penance isn't made the same way.
This community is so good for having kept the whole Gregorian Chant. There aren't many in the UK that have kept everything in Latin (not just Lauds and Vespers for instance)

Just a note for those interested in Benedictine life, there is an excellent blog by the new young abbess at Colwich in the UK,

www.colwichnov.wordpress.com

Puellapaschalis visited there and helped them set it up. They are a small monastery with two aspirants at present, and have a "Come and See" at least twice a year. They observe Benedictine hospitality, constitutional enclosure and have gardens, put up a lot of their own food etc. They don't seem to be terribly austere. They wear a full habit.