An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church Veils For Women

FutureSister2009

Church Veils for Women  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

HopefulBride

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1302327350' post='2227025']
I'd like to veil, but I don't doing so would be prudent in my situation. Either that or I'm too cowardly.

It's so beautiful, though. :)
[/quote]

I feel the same way you do TB. I veil only when I attend a Latin Mass. Though I will admit I see more and more ladies doing it in my parish (a handful -grew from zero to about 5 or so plus some nice hat wearers) Hopefully one day I can muster up the courage to veil. Oh wait if I wait long enough I will be veiling pretty much all the time. :lol:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1304436988' post='2236343']
no one.should.ever.wear.pantsuits.

EVER.

not even EPSS.
[/quote]

I don't know what EPSS is but I agree about pantsuits - it's just that there's a fiddler on the shortened version of the word that changes it to pantaloons! lol p.a.n.t.s.

Seems there's one on the word f.i.l.t.e.r. as well! :) I know one can get around this with the hidden html codes, but on dial up, I don't have a lot of bandwidth for messing around!

Edited by nunsense

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1304471820' post='2236647']
I don't know what EPSS is but I agree about pantsuits - it's just that there's a fiddler on the shortened version of the word that changes it to pantaloons! lol p.a.n.t.s.

Seems there's one on the word f.i.l.t.e.r. as well! :) I know one can get around this with the hidden html codes, but on dial up, I don't have a lot of bandwidth for messing around!
[/quote]
Elderly Pa[i][/i]nts Suits Sisters

and just say philter :)

I dunno ... the right p.antsuit looks sharp. I've been considering getting them for work (where I need to step up my corporate attire). I'd then wear the same to Church (unless I'm going very informal).

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1304479865' post='2236722']
Elderly pantaloons Suits Sisters

and just say philter :)
[/quote]

Idk, my great aunt is EPSS.... oh wait.... yeah no pantsuits, unless you are looking for a Reiki lesson :like:

AudreyGrace

[quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1304547477' post='2237144']
Reiki lesson :like:
[/quote]

:twitch:

MargaretTeresa

I think I might start wearing a headscarf to daily Mass...not sure about Sunday Mass yet...I'll try it tomorrow and see how it is...

I admit, I do stand out. Maybe other people wouldn't consider it "prudent" and maybe it does put other people off, but like I said, I really feel called to it, and to me all that is a small humiliation I can offer up for all the countless liturgical abuses and lack of respect going on at Masses. Plus, I find it does keep me in a more prayerful state of mind when I wear it.

Oh, and definitely agree about the pant.suits! Ugghh!!!

Archaeology cat

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1304558021' post='2237277']
I admit, I do stand out. Maybe other people wouldn't consider it "prudent" and maybe it does put other people off, but like I said, I really feel called to it, and to me all that is a small humiliation I can offer up for all the countless liturgical abuses and lack of respect going on at Masses. Plus, I find it does keep me in a more prayerful state of mind when I wear it.

[/quote]
:like: I agree

faithcecelia

I don't wear a traditional lace veil, though a number of women do at my parish. i do, however, wear a headscarf pretty much all the time (not just in mass). When I was sent away from Carmel I missed my veil. I admit to having lovely hair that I kept long (waist length) even in Carmel. When I was out i realised I had become precious about it so cut it to my shoulders. I still find though that people very often complement me on my hair. So for me this is mainly about modesty and helping me to avoid pride and be more modest. I don't feel remotely self concious, except recently when I was on pilgrimage and parishioners who looked after us at one point asked me about it. Thankfully on that occasion I could honestly say my hair was disgustingly dirty!

Pax_et bonum

What do people think about wearing a veil to a school Mass in a gym? When one is an alter server, in the gym or church?

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1304558021' post='2237277']

[/quote]

:like:

Good for you!

(I only mentioned prudent in my particular case... I am working as a DRE at a.. more liberal... parish. If I wore a veil, I'd lose my standing with my parishioners. It's been a long haul gaining their trust. Eventually I hope there will be a time where that will be okay and not break our trust. But my call is a different form of evangelization right now. So that's all I meant when I said it probably wouldn't be prudent for me- definitely didn't mean to imply it wouldn't be for others!)

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1304715254' post='2238059']
:like:

Good for you!

(I only mentioned prudent in my particular case... I am working as a DRE at a.. more liberal... parish. If I wore a veil, I'd lose my standing with my parishioners. It's been a long haul gaining their trust. Eventually I hope there will be a time where that will be okay and not break our trust. But my call is a different form of evangelization right now. So that's all I meant when I said it probably wouldn't be prudent for me- definitely didn't mean to imply it wouldn't be for others!)
[/quote]

Oh hey, I certainly didn't mean it as a thing against other people, especially not you, TB! :( Sorry if it sounded that way. I was just using that point and examining my own conscience on it. I agree that if I were in a situation similar to yours, I probably would not wear one. I thought about that, if I were at my old parish and were still a cantor, would I wear one? I didn't when I was there, and I'm still not sure I would. That is an even lesser position than you are in, however, and I completely understand that as a DRE in a liberal parish, it could very well make you lose [i]any[/i] moral authority you have or had gained because people would consider you "kooky." Unfortunately, that's just the way people view those who wear chapel veils, especially at a more liberal parish!

I've heard people use the prudence argument for themselves about standing out in a parish, when they are simply a member of the congregation and don't hold any sort of position in the parish. Ultimately, of course it's up to what a particular person feels God is calling them to do, taking all the circumstances into consideration. I don't mean to judge those who want to wear it, but choose not to for whatever reasons! For [i]myself,[/i] though, I told myself, "But it's not prudent, it's not prudent..." for so long, and then I realized I was just using that as an excuse not to submit myself to the humiliation I knew it would be for me. I'm a more of a reserved, quiet, introvert-type person, so while some people can wear a chapel veil and not think twice about what other people think, for me it's a real mortification!

• 4 weeks later...
HollyWilliams

I don't wear a veil to Mass but then again, I don't attend a traditional Latin Mass either. I might go to one some day in the future but at this current time, there are none within decent driving distance of where I live. There is one about 50 miles away but I think it is only held once a month. I don't know how to get there and I really can't afford to use that much gas to go to one either.

I would have nothing against wearing a veil to Mass though if it were mandated or something.

Edited by HollyWilliams