An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church Veils For Women

FutureSister2009

Church Veils for Women  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

MargaretTeresa

Hopefully, when I graduate school, I will be at a parish where the traditional Latin Mass is held. Right now, we sing in Latin some bits on Sunday Mass. But that's it.

I think I'll wear a chapel veil or headscarf to Mass once I graduate as well.

• 2 weeks later...

As a guy I don't have to deal with this specific problem [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img] However, in my opinion I do not think veils are [i]necessary [/i]and therefore they should not be compulsory. I think they should be [i]permissible [/i]though if local custom or personal choice desires it. If it aids as a spiritual devotion then its a bonus but this probably should be the only sensible reason why they are worn.

I think that it's oppressive for women to cover their heads. Women should be allowed to show their hair. It adds to the community when a woman can express herself by having a unique hairdo and show it off while doing the Eucharist with the People of God around her.

I voted no. While I'm not a woman, I love my sisters in Jesus name and I stand in solidarity with them on this very important issue. I say be equal, be the same. NO VEILS!!!! If nun's don't wear them, then neither do lay persons.

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1308411790' post='2255577']
I tend to go for this look :paperbag:
[/quote]

I love that look.

I just happened upon [i]Little House on the Prairie[/i] on TV, and all the women were wearing hats at their Protestant service. Interesting how that really wasn't too long ago...

Chiquitunga

If I do wear one, I'm going with a scarf or hat. I like the mantilla .. I love Spanish customs! But something about it makes me uncomfortable wearing one. I wore one a couple times and I was super distracted by it. Honestly, I felt like I was being "holier than thou" etc. :/ I'm sure it's a matter of getting used to though. My father and mother said they never remember any women wearing them at Mass growing up (1950's). It was usually either hats or babushkas. My grandmother was a hat maker. There's this girl at a parish I go to a lot who wears a really amesome 1920's hat. Perhaps I'll get one like that.

Chiquitunga

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1308431223' post='2255700']
If I do wear one, I'm going with a scarf or hat. I like the mantilla .. I love Spanish customs! But something about it makes me uncomfortable wearing one. I wore one a couple times and I was super distracted by it. Honestly, I felt like I was being "holier than thou" etc. :/ I'm sure it's a matter of getting used to though. My father and mother said they never remember any women wearing them at Mass growing up (1950's). It was usually either hats or babushkas. My grandmother was a hat maker. There's this girl at a parish I go to a lot who wears a really amesome 1920's hat. Perhaps I'll get one like that.
[/quote]

Random comment I wanted to add .. I have to admit, I do really like the idea of wearing a brown mantilla though :love: I like the white ones and what they symbolize (I LOVE the idea of wearing a wedding dress on my clothing day someday), but they do really stand out. Brown for Our Lady of Mt. Carmel would be awe.some though ..

[img]http://i55.tinypic.com/2wc4fg0.jpg[/img]

Edited by Chiquitunga

• 2 weeks later...

I have a white mantilla that I don't use anymore... it's longer and just all-over nice. If anyone wants it, please PM me, and I'll give it to you for free!

MargaretTeresa

I have been looking for short mantilla style veils whenever I get to the city. However, all they ever seem to have is black. While I prefer darker colours, I like the symbolization with the white and black stuffs.

Basilisa Marie

I've never worn a veil, but I do think they're gorgeous. I brought one with me when I went to Europe last summer, just in case. But the first time I ever had one on in a church was when a friend of mine was shooting a documentary on St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein), and she needed extras in 1930s-1940s church attire. It was great wearing a veil...but like people said above, I personally think it'd draw too much negative attention where I attend mass.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let those who are looking for headcoverings know about this:

[url="http://www.etsy.com/shop/freetocover"]Free to Cover[/url]

The author of a blog I follow has started an Etsy shop. Here is a description she wrote of why she's starting selling headcoverings:

[quote][color="#333333"][font="Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif"][size="2"]Please, if you are shopping for head coverings, please think of my site and buy from me. I'd like to purchase a house and a few acres someday. The money I earn is for the down payment, in addition to whatever we can scrape together to save out of our normal budget. See, I have this daughter who is likely to be living with us for many years to come. She's got Autism. And she is MADE to grow things. Plant things. We need a place where she can do that. Being on Disability does not afford a disabled person such a lifestyle. And besides, who knows if there will even BE "Disability". It seems more "gospel" for families to take care of their needy. So, we are thinking, dreaming and planning and hoping and praying and starting to save for the long term. This little etsy shop is a very small step in that direction. [/size][/font][/color][color="#333333"][font="Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif"] [/font][/color]
[color="#333333"][font="Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif"][size="2"]So that's what your money is going to support.[/size][/font][/color]

[color="#333333"][font="Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif"] [/font][/color]~ from [url="http://freetocover.blogspot.com/2011/07/etsy-shop-rhymes-with-betsy-bop.html"]Free to Cover[/url][/quote]

Really beautiful. So maybe you can buy something for her for two good causes (veiling and helping her family)? :)

faithcecelia

I have worn scarves for ages now but would love a proper mantilla. Sadly they are all out of my budget just now :-(