An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church Veils For Women

FutureSister2009

Church Veils for Women  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1303913681' post='2233882']
I've worn a small hat to the Traditional Latin Mass like [url="http://topanien.com/images/hat/hat/hat_0948_navy.jpg"]this[/url]. On Christmas Eve, one of my parents commented that the practice was like taking a step backward. Sad, you know.

[/quote]
[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1306803863' post='2247893']
Womyn who don't cover there hair in church are immodest.
[/quote]

Backwards in a way, but we just need to be strong and keep wearing our veils. If we are not the role models, then who will?

Immodest might be a strog word, but I feel that everyone has their eyes on me every week that I go to mass, which is every Sunday. I am pretty much the only one out of the women that attened mass, I am the only one veil. The two preist that I have knows when I am their, which is nice.

Edited by elizabeth09

brandelynmarie

I posted this over in VS, well, because it has Dominican novices from the 1960's. :nun: :nun: But I thought y'all might want to look at some of the hats that the women are wearing too. :) :turban: :bobby: :mex: :blues: :cowboy: :japanese: :french: :farmer: :paperbag:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cmsjetOTvA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cmsjetOTvA[/url]

AccountDeleted

Good idea to post it here too - thanks! :) Now if only the pillobx hat would come back in style and everyone wear them again! :)

Blessed&Grateful

I think it is a matter of choice. I grew up when they were required. I personally do not like "having" to do something based on gender, but I fully support any woman who wishes to wear one.

As for showing reverence, I do not think a head covering shows more reverence or going without shows less. I do believe in respectful dress but am glad to see everyone at Mass, appropriate attire or not (jeans etc., not immodest clothes.)

I think what is in one's heart and mind is the more important ideal.

God Bless

Edited by Blessed&Grateful

MissScripture

The past few week have been something of a reminder of what it was like when I first started wearing a veil. I got so used to it being a somewhat normal thing at my old parish (I was one of the first, but then quite a large group of women started wearing veils, as well, so it was at least not seen as something odd). It appears that it's not very common anywhere in this city (at least in the 5 parishes I've visited thus far), even at the parish that I would've thought it most likely, as it's a more traditional parish. No one has said anything to me about it, but I have gotten some "interested" looks. :hehe2: But I've gotten so used to it, it bothers me not to have something on my head.

dominicansoul

my hometown parish is gently urging all women to start wearing veils at Mass. They are even giving away mantillas for this purpose!!!!!!!!

all you have to do is go by the rectory and pick one up! :) :) :)

MissScripture

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1317592245' post='2314130']
my hometown parish is gently urging all women to start wearing veils at Mass. They are even giving away mantillas for this purpose!!!!!!!!

all you have to do is go by the rectory and pick one up! :) :) :)
[/quote]
You gonna go get one?
I need to start wearing the one my sister gave me. :proud:

dominicansoul

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1317595579' post='2314149']
You gonna go get one?
I need to start wearing the one my sister gave me. :proud:
[/quote]

i have a black one. do colors count for something? i mean, do they mean something? wearing a black one makes me feel like a widow or something...

MissScripture

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1317597318' post='2314167']

i have a black one. do colors count for something? i mean, do they mean something? wearing a black one makes me feel like a widow or something...
[/quote]
Well, all the postulants in Nashville wear black ones, and I know my sister wasn't a widow...
I did wear a white one before I got married and switched to black afterwards, but part of that was because my white crochet thread got stained pink, and the black one was bigger and better made, since it was my second attempt.

dominicansoul

yeah, i remember we wore the black ones in nashville...

:think: i like my black one because it matches my hair and you hardly see it.. lolololol

I've also heard that it's a tradition to wear white mantillas before you are married and black ones after. But those colours are not at all required and I personally like using coloured scarves, especially as I currently have no mantilla about.