An Old School Catholic Message Board

Exercise During Recreation In Religious Life

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

As most of you know, I am discerning religious life and I am in contact with one order in particular--the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word. I was curious as to if they incorporate exercise into their daily life? I know a lot of active/contemplative orders do as well as some cloistered orders around the grounds. I have mild Restless Legs Syndrome, so if I don't get enough exercise, my legs get weird bubbly, tingly feelings and ache all over. I love to take 30 minute walks and dance to a good song. Plus, I think exercise has really helped my mental and physical health. Thanks for any answers you can give! :)

Lilllabettt

Yes - exercise is incorporated into the daily schedule, particularly for the novitiate, which exercises together as a group. Usually ultimate frisbee or very vigorous walks ...

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1302386265' post='2227122']
Yes - exercise is incorporated into the daily schedule, particularly for the novitiate, which exercises together as a group. Usually ultimate frisbee or very vigorous walks ...
[/quote]

Great, thank you for answering. My mom and I often take walks around the neighborhood and we've recently decided to start doing cardio walks at least 3 times a week (30 min brisk walks). We usually walk our dog but she is old and arthritic, so she stops a lot and we don't get much benefit from it, exercise-wise. Still, it's better than nothing. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Just as a side note: doctors say RLS can be caused by iron deficiency. I knew someone that had it really bad for years, and after upping red meat, it went away. They say optimal ferritin is around 100.

I read somewhere that novitiates play frisbee in the SsEW, and I'm not sure what else.

The FI sisters are semi-contemplative and they had a ball running around playing games in their basement. I LOVED every bit of it. And when they went to the Griswold Friary to teach the kids, they played running games with the kids, too.

I have fatigue issues, and yet I've been able to jog 40 minutes every other day for a month. But, once I went up to 50 minutes, I'm exhausted. I'm still trying to recover. But, I do have low iron, so I'm going to talk to my doc about supplementing to bring it up to 100.

Edited by JoyfulLife

MargaretTeresa

Everywhere I've seen pictures, they make time for a "recess" and playing games as such. As I love sports, this is GOOD.

I haven't actually visited any where yet. :(

Edited by MargaretTeresa

OnlySunshine

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1302552675' post='2227568']
Just as a side note: doctors say RLS can be caused by iron deficiency. I knew someone that had it really bad for years, and after upping red meat, it went away. They say optimal ferritin is around 100.

I read somewhere that novitiates play frisbee in the SsEW, and I'm not sure what else.

The FI sisters are semi-contemplative and they had a ball running around playing games in their basement. I LOVED every bit of it. And when they went to the Griswold Friary to teach the kids, they played running games with the kids, too.

I have fatigue issues, and yet I've been able to jog 40 minutes every other day for a month. But, once I went up to 50 minutes, I'm exhausted. I'm still trying to recover. But, I do have low iron, so I'm going to talk to my doc about supplementing to bring it up to 100.
[/quote]

Actually, B-vitamin deficiency is common in my mother's side of the family. My mom and aunt, for example, have to take sublingual B-12 daily otherwise, they are low on it and have very little energy. My aunt started taking a B-Complex and my mom got some, too, because my aunt's doctor said that her RLS was caused by low B-vitamins all around. My mom couldn't take it for some reason and I am taking it now. I have yet to feel it, but my aunt has been doing much better, so I'm hoping it will help. :)

Yes, they have lots of exercise! They sled (when there's snow) and take walks all around the convent, round the pond, round the construction site, and back. They walk their dog (a German shepherd... His name is Prince, I think. Don't ask me the name of the cat, I forgot).
.....CherieMadame said somewhere on here that she broke her toe once playing soccer while she was there. Also, Novitiate has a mandatory hour of physical recreation.

[quote name='Tally Marx' timestamp='1302591021' post='2227747']
Yes, they have lots of exercise! They sled (when there's snow) and take walks all around the convent, round the pond, round the construction site, and back. They walk their dog (a German shepherd... His name is Prince, I think. Don't ask me the name of the cat, I forgot).
.....CherieMadame said somewhere on here that she broke her toe once playing soccer while she was there. Also, Novitiate has a mandatory hour of physical recreation.
[/quote]

:yahoo::woot:!!!!!!!!!!! A dog and CAT??! A w esome.

Walking, frisbee, soccer... A W E SOME! I'm totally up for that, especially the walking. And they have BEAUTIFUL grounds to see.

Mater, interesting about the B's. I had my B12 checked recently and it's high and great. I'm going to get on a good multi that has high B's and maybe that will help some. I just got the okay to go on 25mg gentle iron by Solgar, and see if that helps. My doc pointed out that ferritin alone isn't the best indicator, but anemia tests are needed along with it. But tell that to uptodate.com, the MD's medical resource that they have at hospitals... Hmm.. Any other tips on how to overcome my fatigue and build up my stamina/energy is greatly appreciated. Interestingly, my doc pointed out that vegetables have iron, too, and since my ferritin is low, I need to up my veggies. I need to anyway as I don't eat many veggies. I totally love a decked out salad with great c h e e s e, though.

Edited by JoyfulLife

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Tally Marx' timestamp='1302591021' post='2227747']
[/quote]

That's cool! Do you remember what color the cat was? I know it's a weird question, but I've got allergies and people like me can only be around cats that are light in color like white, orange, etc. They are less likely to produce an allergenic dander. I'll probably have to ask permission to continue taking my Zyrtec daily anyway if I enter there. :)

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1302642691' post='2227899']
:yahoo::woot:!!!!!!!!!!! A dog and CAT??! A w esome.

Walking, frisbee, soccer... A W E SOME! I'm totally up for that, especially the walking. And they have BEAUTIFUL grounds to see.

Mater, interesting about the B's. I had my B12 checked recently and it's high and great. I'm going to get on a good multi that has high B's and maybe that will help some. I just got the okay to go on 25mg gentle iron by Solgar, and see if that helps. My doc pointed out that ferritin alone isn't the best indicator, but anemia tests are needed along with it. But tell that to uptodate.com, the MD's medical resource that they have at hospitals... Hmm.. Any other tips on how to overcome my fatigue and build up my stamina/energy is greatly appreciated. Interestingly, my doc pointed out that vegetables have iron, too, and since my ferritin is low, I need to up my veggies. I need to anyway as I don't eat many veggies. I totally love a decked out salad with great c h e e s e, though.
[/quote]

I've started taking a sublingual B-12 vitamin everyday. As far as more energy, maybe you could try a protein booster shake like Boost or Ensure? I use those when I'm feeling run down and they really help. I prefer Ensure. Which reminds me, I need to get some for next week since I'm going to be studying for my test and final exam. :blush:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1302653741' post='2227990']
That's cool! Do you remember what color the cat was? I know it's a weird question, but I've got allergies and people like me can only be around cats that are light in color like white, orange, etc. They are less likely to produce an allergenic dander. I'll probably have to ask permission to continue taking my Zyrtec daily anyway if I enter there. :)
[/quote]

I'm sorry- I don't know what color the cat is. I did not see it, Sr. Rita just told me they have one (apparently, the Franciscan in them wants to save all the poor and dying pets they find. However, the Dominican side wants to kill the deer (they eat the pansies). It is a very odd quandary....)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Tally Marx' timestamp='1302666093' post='2228060']
I'm sorry- I don't know what color the cat is. I did not see it, Sr. Rita just told me they have one (apparently, the Franciscan in them wants to save all the poor and dying pets they find. However, the Dominican side wants to kill the deer (they eat the pansies). It is a very odd quandary....)
[/quote]

LOL, quite the conundrum! I read on the "What's New" page about the deer eating the flowers and saw the funny looking nets they put up. At least they're not feeding them poisoned corn or something.

Oh it's a white cat, named Marshmallow. "Marshy" for short. She's an outdoor cat (with one eye! One of her eyes was hurt by some unknown wild animal) but she does spent some time in the maintenance building during cold weather, etc. She's not too fond of people, so she's not very gregarious. I don't think anyone with allergies would have to worry - some other Sisters have allergies, too, but she's not around enough to cause a problem. :) I hate to say it, too, though ... but, she [i]is[/i] getting rather old, and I'm not sure how much longer she'll be around ... :cry2:

Sorry, I will get to the other questions soon -- been overcoming this nasty cold and I've only had time for short snippets here and there!

I am a serious runner - @ 20 miles a week (except for tax season) - several marathons a year. Sacrificing my running (some of my best meditation time) will be very difficult. I have never given this much thought - I always just assumed that I would not be able to do it. I'm also a skier and don't expect to do a lot of this in religious life either. I do like the idea of at least some vigorous cario activity.

Kat

Edited by ksterling

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1302653741' post='2227990']
I've started taking a sublingual B-12 vitamin everyday. As far as more energy, maybe you could try a protein booster shake like Boost or Ensure? I use those when I'm feeling run down and they really help. I prefer Ensure. Which reminds me, I need to get some for next week since I'm going to be studying for my test and final exam. :blush:
[/quote]

You're lucky about the Zyrtec. I tried Claritin-D, Zyrtec, pseudophedrine alone, and Allegra-D but they make me somewhat tired and irritable and they don't entirely rid my symptoms. I'm currently experimenting with Quercetin w/Bromelain, and it does seem to help, but I need more time... I wish there was something that would stop all of the runny nose and congestion. Has anyone here tried Nasonex? Or a Leukotrine modifer (spelling?)? I'm desperate for something. Thankfully, I do get a good deal of relief from allergies when using my ADHD stimulant medication, which I'm on break from at the moment. It also helps some with my fatigue issues.

Boost, ensure? Now that you mention it, I do take slimfast shakes each day, and I compared the ingredients and they are much like the products you mentioned. They really do help with energy and feeling fed. The typical breakfast always left me feeling hungry and tired.

Sterling, I hear you about the running. I've gotten into enjoying a light jog, and I wondered if I would be able to in an order...

Edited by JoyfulLife

OnlySunshine

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1302812101' post='2228715']
You're lucky about the Zyrtec. I tried Claritin-D, Zyrtec, pseudophedrine alone, and Allegra-D but they make me somewhat tired and irritable and they don't entirely rid my symptoms. I'm currently experimenting with Quercetin w/Bromelain, and it does seem to help, but I need more time... I wish there was something that would stop all of the runny nose and congestion. Has anyone here tried Nasonex? Or a Leukotrine modifer (spelling?)? I'm desperate for something. Thankfully, I do get a good deal of relief from allergies when using my ADHD stimulant medication, which I'm on break from at the moment. It also helps some with my fatigue issues.

Boost, ensure? Now that you mention it, I do take slimfast shakes each day, and I compared the ingredients and they are much like the products you mentioned. They really do help with energy and feeling fed. The typical breakfast always left me feeling hungry and tired.

Sterling, I hear you about the running. I've gotten into enjoying a light jog, and I wondered if I would be able to in an order...
[/quote]

I'm actually considering not taking Zyrtec anymore. It's been about two weeks since I started and I keep waking up with really nasty dry mouth and I get headaches when I used to have none. Plus, I'm not noticing a difference in my symptoms either. :(

My mom swears by Nasonex. She uses it to combat migraines, sinus headaches, and allergies. I tried using it once and liked it, but I cannot afford a prescription so I use Nasalcrom which is over the counter. I like it just as well though my mom says it doesn't work as good for her. As for leukotriene modifiers, my old doctor wanted to put me on Singulair and I did notice a difference, but I am no longer taking it as it was too expensive.

Have you only tried stimulant medication for your ADHD? I've got a mild case of ADD and the antidepressant that I take covers ADD, too. Strattera is a non-stimulant medication for adult ADD. Have you tried that? I hated using Adderall when I first found out I had ADD. The psychiatrist gave it to me even though I did not want a stimulant. I decided to try it for a while and it made me jumpy and my heart raced. I got off it and then he put me on Strattera. I stopped seeing him though because he wanted to prescribe medicine for EVERY LITTLE THING (and I mean everything!). So, when I started seeing my new psychiatrist, she put me on Wellbutrin SR and that's what I am on to this day. I works well. :)

A good thing to try for energy in the morning is also Carnation Instant Breakfast. They are milkshakes that are really good. I always love Vanilla flavored shakes. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae