An Old School Catholic Message Board

Exercise During Recreation In Religious Life

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1302813247' post='2228726']
I'm actually considering not taking Zyrtec anymore. It's been about two weeks since I started and I keep waking up with really nasty dry mouth and I get headaches when I used to have none. Plus, I'm not noticing a difference in my symptoms either. :(

My mom swears by Nasonex. She uses it to combat migraines, sinus headaches, and allergies. I tried using it once and liked it, but I cannot afford a prescription so I use Nasalcrom which is over the counter. I like it just as well though my mom says it doesn't work as good for her. As for leukotriene modifiers, my old doctor wanted to put me on Singulair and I did notice a difference, but I am no longer taking it as it was too expensive.

Have you only tried stimulant medication for your ADHD? I've got a mild case of ADD and the antidepressant that I take covers ADD, too. Strattera is a non-stimulant medication for adult ADD. Have you tried that? I hated using Adderall when I first found out I had ADD. The psychiatrist gave it to me even though I did not want a stimulant. I decided to try it for a while and it made me jumpy and my heart raced. I got off it and then he put me on Strattera. I stopped seeing him though because he wanted to prescribe medicine for EVERY LITTLE THING (and I mean everything!). So, when I started seeing my new psychiatrist, she put me on Wellbutrin SR and that's what I am on to this day. I works well. :)

A good thing to try for energy in the morning is also Carnation Instant Breakfast. They are milkshakes that are really good. I always love Vanilla flavored shakes. :)
[/quote]

How well does Nasonex work on runny nose and congestion, rating it from 0-10? How often do you have to use it? And the same questions for Singulair.

I'd have to say that the Allegra-D and Claritin-D work wayyyyyyyyy better than the regular without the "D." Regular Zyrtec did nothing for me. The "D" formulas contain pseudophedrine and are held behind the pharmacy, and they require an ID and signature as it can be abused by people.

I was on an antidepressent for like a few months for irritability from an acne medicine I was on, and it didn't help the ADHD. It made me some sleepy and I had awful vertigo when coming off the drug. My doc assured me that the non-stimulant medicines for ADHD don't work as good as the stimulants. I use Vyvanse and he thinks it's the best of what's out there, and I found it to be, too, after some experimenting with different meds. I had awful side effects on it the first few weeks, but after that, no side effects, except a little hyper, more serious, and the first four nights I have to take a sleep aid. The Vyvanse I'm on is a low dose, and it helps somewhat to moderate with my ADHD, but I may need to go up in strength; I can't imagine a non-stimulant being any better. It also helps my fatigue and allergies, too, so that's a big benefit. Tends to help my sluggishness and lack of motivation at times, too.

That's soooooo cute about Marshy the cat! Animal-loving Franciscans. I love that!

Edited by JoyfulLife

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1302818589' post='2228764']
How well does Nasonex work on runny nose and congestion, rating it from 0-10? How often do you have to use it? And the same questions for Singulair.

[/quote]

BUMP for Mater.

Mater, have you tried or do you know anything about Aniracetam and Piracetam? They are supposed to be good for mental concentration.

I'm thinking about asking my doc about the Wellbutrin SR that you mentioned (for my ADHD). Now, did it completely rid all your ADD/ADHD symptoms and were yours mild? I take it that this medicine also treats norepinephrine for the ADHD/ADD?

OnlySunshine

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1303238031' post='2230246']
BUMP for Mater.

Mater, have you tried or do you know anything about Aniracetam and Piracetam? They are supposed to be good for mental concentration.

I'm thinking about asking my doc about the Wellbutrin SR that you mentioned (for my ADHD). Now, did it completely rid all your ADD/ADHD symptoms and were yours mild? I take it that this medicine also treats norepinephrine for the ADHD/ADD?
[/quote]

I'm sorry that I didn't answer this sooner. I meant to come back to it when I had more time and then it drifted further and further down the list of threads. :cry2:

But, to answer your question, I don't know how well Nasonex works because I didn't take it for very long. I cannot say for sure how well it works on runny noses and congestion, but my mom says it relieves her sinus headaches really fast.

I've never heard of the medication that you mentioned you take for ADHD--Vyvanse. I am only aware of Adderall, Strattera, and Ritalin. I tried both Adderall and Strattera and I didn't like the side effects of either. I got this weird eye thing with the Strattera. Everytime I would look at anything that looked like it was sticking out, especially clothing racks, I got this weird fear of something poking my eyes out. I got off it immediately because it bothered me so much. The same happened with Effexor and Lexapro when my doctor tried me on those at different times. Thankfully, Wellbutrin doesn't do that.

I've never heard of Aniracetam and Piracetam. I'm leery about trying stuff because it's not good to mix too many medications or supplements with Wellbutrin SR. If you are not careful, mixing medications with it can give you seizures. I cannot take Robitussin or Benadryl because both dextromethorphan and diphenhydramine are considered depressants since they lower your blood pressure. They can also cause Serotonin Syndrome when mixed with certain antidepressants like Zoloft or Wellbutrin. Serotonin Syndrome is very dangerous and highly fatal. It's difficult to reverse in the emergency room.

My ADD is very mild. I didn't even know I had it until I was 23 and was diagnosed with Adult ADD by my psychiatrist. After realizing that the drugs were too strong since it was so mild, my doctor told me I didn't need anything specific for it unless it affected my work. When I was put on Wellbutrin SR, I read all about it and noticed that it is very good for those who have all three of the illnesses I've been diagnosed with--depression, anxiety, and ADD. Anxiety was co-morbid with my depression and I think my ADD is too since I only have problems with it when I am really stressed out. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

• 1 month later...
Pax_et bonum

Faith and/or nunsense, can you tell us what Carmels do for exercise? I'm pretty sure their recreation, like Poor Clares, consists mostly of talking and keeping their hands busy with some little work. When do they exercise?

faithcecelia

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1306635423' post='2247200']
Faith and/or nunsense, can you tell us what Carmels do for exercise? I'm pretty sure their recreation, like Poor Clares, consists mostly of talking and keeping their hands busy with some little work. When do they exercise?
[/quote]

At Quidenham some of us would walk during Siesta time, I used to get a lovely long walk in every day, rain or shine, which was quite easy as they have 26acres of land. A number of us would also go for a walk most Sunday recreations, except the first of the month where we had a music and poetry night. We had 2 exercise bikes as well. On summer evenings I would go for a run between Readings and Compline, and was excused having my head covered for this as there were none of the staff there by then.

I had been really worried about lack of exercise before I entered, but to be honest I found that the daily life kept me faitly active - I had an enormous sweep and was in the kitchen most mornings lugging massive saucepans about.

On occasion I would exercise in my cell in the evening/on Sundays, and the sister who looked after the linen office came across a heavy wooden box that I used to do step on (Im a qualified fitness instructor so could usually find a way to fit some in).

OnlySunshine

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1306637129' post='2247207']
At Quidenham some of us would walk during Siesta time, I used to get a lovely long walk in every day, rain or shine, which was quite easy as they have 26acres of land. A number of us would also go for a walk most Sunday recreations, except the first of the month where we had a music and poetry night. We had 2 exercise bikes as well. On summer evenings I would go for a run between Readings and Compline, and was excused having my head covered for this as there were none of the staff there by then.

I had been really worried about lack of exercise before I entered, but to be honest I found that the daily life kept me faitly active - I had an enormous sweep and was in the kitchen most mornings lugging massive saucepans about.

On occasion I would exercise in my cell in the evening/on Sundays, and the sister who looked after the linen office came across a heavy wooden box that I used to do step on (Im a qualified fitness instructor so could usually find a way to fit some in).
[/quote]

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who was worried about exercise in a community. I think exercise is so important and I would do well to get more of it. I was happy to swim yesterday and I can definitely "feel the burn" after moving my arms and legs so much. I slept great too. Very deeply--about 10 hours. :)

• 10 months later...

I came across this thread recently when I was looking for something else & since there are several people getting fairly close to entry, I was curious to know about your various communities' exercise situations!

For myself, there isn't 'timetabled' community exercise, but the main work is the farm and gardens, so there is plenty of activity during the day. I sometimes did exercises in my cell, like when I couldn't sleep or had a spare half hour. Better than sitting on my butt reading!

Edit: actually, the reading thing was one of the unexpected little 'trials' - don't get me wrong, I love it (English major), but it just doesn't feel like work to me! Spending a good hour reading during work time felt like cheating. I would catch myself doing it and go and find something more 'active' to do! It was surprisingly difficult to adjust out of that mindset where books are relegated to bedtime or train journeys...

Edited by marigold

For the postulants and novices, there are 2 scheduled recreation times: one during the day between classes and work while the other Sisters are teaching, and one in the evening when the professed Sisters are back.

From what I've seen, the one in the middle of the day is usually very active- floor hockey, soccer, "playing outside." The one in the evening with the whole community could be scrabble or cards, just hanging out, or on nice days, especially during the summer, playing sports.

OnlySunshine

Wow, I had forgotten about this thread! I am no longer discerning with the SsEW order, but I still wonder if the community I am discerning with now allows for recreation outside. It's something I'm going to have to ask the Sisters when I see them in a month. :)