An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nail Trouble

Anastasia13

Anastasia13

The surface of my nails peels off too easily(thumbs and middle noticed, but especially the thumbs). I usually take a multivitamin, so I am not sure what vitamin I could be needing. I tried moisturize more and it still happened, then I tried nail polish and again, even with the Sally Hansen Diamond Strength No Chip Nail Color, my thumb nail still flaked off at the tip when I tried to get a mouth wash label off last night. I don't know what to do. Can anyone offer suggestions?

OnlySunshine

You might be lacking in biotin. Not many multivitamins include this vitamin in sufficient amounts and it is necessary for good hair, skin, and nails. A good vitamin to try, since I am assuming you are a woman, is a prenatal vitamin. Many doctors recommend women who are in childbearing years to take it because it promotes good health. Do you drink milk or eat coagulated milk? Calcium really promotes good nail growth.

I used to have a lot of problems with flaky nails. They always peeled. I discovered that it was the nail polish I was using, and I have since stopped using regular nail polish altogether. It's important to keep your nailbed moisturized so use a good lotion like Aveeno (what I use) religiously. I have really nice nails now and they no longer flake.

I hope this helps!

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

I had that problem when I was doing 6-10 hours of water aerobics a week. Sally Hansen makes a nail hardener. It's kind of a clear nail polish. You could try that, but it obviously isn't going to fix the root of the problem. In my case, once I went to 3 hours a week, my nails toughened up, so that was the only problem.

Oh Yeah, have you made anyone made lately? It can also be a sign that someone is lacing your food with arsenic.

Actually, with arsenic poisoning, you will notice tell-tale white stripes on the nails.

Soft nails can be addressed by changes to diet, if you are missing certain things (so the prenatal vitamins are a good suggestion), but also environment. I'm assuming your hands aren't in water all day, but more moisturizer can be a good thing. Also, nail polish tends to weaken nails. Go a few weeks without it, and see if that helps.

Anastasia13

I think I noticed this before I recently started trying to use nail polish more regularly. I was asking my mom about this and she suggested nail polish, maybe even a clear one. This is why I tried for a hard nail polish. I moisturized my nails before I put the polish on, except this time when I when from one, the nail polish remover, to nail polish. If it was from nail polish, I wore nail polish a lot more in the past and did not have problems.

I take calcium supplements for at least 2/3s of a daily dose because I do not have a high dairy diet-never have.

Is coagulated milk the same as milk that has gone bad or cottage coagulated milk?

Edited by Light and Truth

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Light and Truth' timestamp='1302636938' post='2227854']
I think I noticed this before I recently started trying to use nail polish more regularly. I was asking my mom about this and she suggested nail polish, maybe even a clear one. This is why I tried for a hard nail polish. I moisturized my nails before I put the polish on, except this time when I when from one, the nail polish remover, to nail polish. If it was from nail polish, I wore nail polish a lot more in the past and did not have problems.

I take calcium supplements for at least 2/3s of a daily dose because I do not have a high dairy diet-never have.

Is coagulated milk the same as milk that has gone bad or cottage coagulated milk?
[/quote]

coagulated milk is chee[i][/i]se (filtered words.... :saint: ), not rotten milk.

Beleive it or not gelatin such as is found in Jello helps strengthen nails as its made from a derivative processed from horse hooves. The problem is with nails they are actually dead, at least the part we see, the live part is at the base and usually most the problems people have with the dead part, the nail that gals paint and obsess over, is environmental things such as using cleaners that harm them and exposures to things that soften or dry them out. There are also problems with fungi that destroys nails. Being a manly man I just cut them off and usually do not give them much thought until they get tar or some kind of glue on them.

ed

Anastasia13

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1302654632' post='2227999']
Beleive it or not gelatin such as is found in Jello helps strengthen nails as its made from a derivative processed from horse hooves. The problem is with nails they are actually dead, at least the part we see, the live part is at the base and usually most the problems people have with the dead part, the nail that gals paint and obsess over, is environmental things such as using cleaners that harm them and exposures to things that soften or dry them out. There are also problems with fungi that destroys nails. Being a manly man I just cut them off and usually do not give them much thought until they get tar or some kind of glue on them.

ed
[/quote]
I usually keep my nails short, so there is only so much room to cut shorter. I guess I will try some jello. I'm looking into biotin which seems to be vitamin B7 if I understand correctly.

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1302654632' post='2227999']

ed
[/quote]

True. Do this. It's the cheapest, easiest, and most effective. They sell single-serving cups in six-packs. Eat one daily with lund and/or dinner.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='loveletslive' timestamp='1302721450' post='2228274']
a brush on nail hardener/strengthener with vitamins should do the trick
[/quote]

Actually, recent studies have shown that vitamins are not easily absorbed through the skin. They have to be digested to have any effect, so nail hardeners/strengtheners are useless. They help the nail when they are on it because the coating hardens the nail, but when it's removed, it has no effect and can actually damage the nail over time. :(

[url="http://www.beautiful-healthy-fingernails.com/nail-hardeners.html"]The truth about nail hardeners[/url]

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

OnlySunshine

[quote name='loveletslive' timestamp='1302812848' post='2228721']
oh noes!! i've been lied too by my nail tech! :( thanks for the info!
[/quote]

You're welcome.

I think a lot of nail techs are misinformed. I looked up information about the nail hardeners when I thought about using one, but after reading this, I will not go near them.

Lil'Monster

i dont have nail trouble and i dont know why! lol hahahaha

cant help but brag about my beautiful nails! hehehehehe