An Old School Catholic Message Board

Spiritual Directors

JulianofLdn

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1306823681' post='2248075']
I get to see my spiritual director in a week's time... and it's been since the week before Lent since I last spoke with him. Long distance is difficult.
[/quote]

Totally off topic, but I love your avatar. [i]Tangled[/i] is amesome. I love that dog-like horse, Maximus! :)

JulianofLdn

Okay, the letter is written and is being sent off today [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/like.gif[/img].

Hopefully I haven't written anything too idiotic!

carmenchristi

[quote name='JulianofLdn' timestamp='1306828921' post='2248085']
Okay, the letter is written and is being sent off today [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/like.gif[/img].

Hopefully I haven't written anything too idiotic!
[/quote]

Hahaha.... I know how you feel. I always feel so idiotic about these kind of things, but I'm sure the person who will read it will not think it's idiotic. After all, if it comes from your heart it means that it's important to you :-) happy waiting for a reply.... hope it doesn't take too long. Keep us updated!

BTW... I have a confessor who has no scruples about laughing at me in confession, it lightens the tension and makes me realize that sometimes I can be pretty ridiculous, so don't worry about it! Even if you make the Sister laugh, it can be a good thing!

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1306799446' post='2247840']
When I get back to school, I'll be talking to my pastor about a spiritual director. The next two months are gonna be the Devil. I hate being home from school.
[/quote]

Just remember that you have to focus on your spiritual life- for me, that means not being drawn into arguments with my sister (love her, but we have a major personality clash). I am living in another town now, but went home for the three day weekend. God gave me a pretty hard whap. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/getaclue.gif[/img]

Offer your struggles with your family about your conversion to the Lord, who is almost certainly pleased that you have devoted yourself to Him! See if you can get to Mass frequently or sit in front of the Blessed Sacrament: http:///www.masstimes.org is a life-saver!

And, back on topic, I'm going to see my spiritual director Friday. It's been probably 6 weeks since we've gotten together because of the end of the semester business. Good luck with your letter!

HopefulBride

My Spiritual Director of three years had to "break up" with me because he is being transferred to a parish that is about 3 hours away. He has recommended another priest for the job and I see him this Thursday. I am excited but I am also nervous at the same time. I went to confession to this priest before and I really liked his style and my SD recommended using him as my confessor and my SD so... please keep me in your prayers that the Lord continue to show me clarity about this decision.

TB, you mentioned that you and your SD are long distance. How much distance is there between you and your SD? I never thought of the possibility of keeping my SD (but then again, our meetings would not be very predictable at all...)

HopefulBride

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1306843504' post='2248101']

[url="http:///www.masstimes.org"]http:///www.masstimes.org[/url] is a life-saver!

[/quote]

Just bookmarked it. I didn't know such a thing existed; I wonder if it is available for travel outside of the US....

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1306844275' post='2248104']
Just bookmarked it. I didn't know such a thing existed; I wonder if it is available for travel outside of the US....
[/quote]

Yes, it is available worldwide. It's not quite always 100% accurate for places that don't have a webpage or have flexible schedules during summer, etc., but I usually call and verify before I go anyway. But it at least tells you where the churches are nearby and you can follow up that way! I spent a year traveling for a job and it was the most helpful website EVER.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1306844182' post='2248103']
My Spiritual Director of three years had to "break up" with me because he is being transferred to a parish that is about 3 hours away. He has recommended another priest for the job and I see him this Thursday. I am excited but I am also nervous at the same time. I went to confession to this priest before and I really liked his style and my SD recommended using him as my confessor and my SD so... please keep me in your prayers that the Lord continue to show me clarity about this decision.

TB, you mentioned that you and your SD are long distance. How much distance is there between you and your SD? I never thought of the possibility of keeping my SD (but then again, our meetings would not be very predictable at all...)
[/quote]

We're about 3,000 miles apart... heh. So we've been doing direction over the phone for the past year now. It's not something I'd highly recommend, though. Originally we decided to go this route because this past year was such a year of transitions for me, and he felt it best to keep [i]something[/i] stable in my life. Now it's because I absolutely can't find [i]anyone[/i] out here that would be willing to meet with me.

This next meeting will be in person, however!! That'll be two meetings in the past year in person. I'm traveling out East for a friend's ordination and decided to make a stop so I could see my s/d.

Santa Cruz

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1306855965' post='2248172']
I need to find one, just not sure where.
[/quote]

If there is not a religious Order of priests offering spiritual direction in your area, then the best thing to do is to ask your pastor for a referral.

• 3 weeks later...
JulianofLdn

Off to my first meeting this afternoon [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap2.gif[/img]Nervous, feeling confused about a whole bunch of things... so that's all perfectly normal, then!

FutureSister2009 - yes, talk to your priest. Also, I'm not sure how it is in the US, but here in the UK the Jesuits will help you find spiritual direction, too. You could always try contacting them if you're still not getting anywhere?

carmenchristi

[quote name='JulianofLdn' timestamp='1308393790' post='2255509']
Off to my first meeting this afternoon [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap2.gif[/img]Nervous, feeling confused about a whole bunch of things... so that's all perfectly normal, then!

FutureSister2009 - yes, talk to your priest. Also, I'm not sure how it is in the US, but here in the UK the Jesuits will help you find spiritual direction, too. You could always try contacting them if you're still not getting anywhere?
[/quote]

Praying 4 you!

Well... I'm not so sure about the Jesuits in the US. I don't actually know any of them, but they have quite the rep for being super liberal. I LOVE the Jesuits in Italy, they are wonderful. My SD is not a Jesuit, but he follows a Jesuit spirituality and has helped me sooooo much. I also go to confession at the Jesuit church here and have always found wonderful priests.

[quote name='carmenchristi' timestamp='1308402372' post='2255526']
Praying 4 you!

Well... I'm not so sure about the Jesuits in the US. I don't actually know any of them, but they have quite the rep for being super liberal. I LOVE the Jesuits in Italy, they are wonderful. My SD is not a Jesuit, but he follows a Jesuit spirituality and has helped me sooooo much. I also go to confession at the Jesuit church here and have always found wonderful priests.
[/quote]

This is true in general , but like any order, we have to remember that there are extremely holy, orthodox Jesuits... just like there are extremely liberal individuals in otherwise conservative orders. Don't necessarily be turned off from looking for a spiritual director just because they are in a specific order.

I'll pray at Mass today for all those looking for one!

Edited by Lisa

faithcecelia

[quote name='JulianofLdn' timestamp='1308393790' post='2255509']

[/quote]

How did it go? Ive been thinking about you today.

carmenchristi

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1308403273' post='2255531']
This is true in general , but like any order, we have to remember that there are extremely holy, orthodox Jesuits... just like there are extremely liberal individuals in otherwise conservative orders. Don't necessarily be turned off from looking for a spiritual director just because they are in a specific order.

I'll pray at Mass today for all those looking for one!
[/quote]

You are right... one tends to have the antennae go up at the words "American Jesuit", but of course we should never stereotype.... I hope that if I ever go back to the states I'll be able to find a good Jesuit SD because their spirituality has helped me soooo much!

Julian... let us know how it went!!