An Old School Catholic Message Board

Affirmative Action

Amppax

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Winchester

[quote name='Don John of Austria' timestamp='1305843527' post='2243679']
I ment that more as a tongue in cheek thing, then I kind of got annoyed by the whole "living in reality thing" and got more serious.

I hear all the time about these people who hire others based on their whiteness, yet I have never met one, ever. So I am curous as to where they all are.

It wasn't a serious statement, just a reaction to the statement I hear all the time that in my experiance has no basis in reality.
[/quote]
It could be an internal, subconscious decision. It could also be based on economic realities. Thomas Sowell really wrote a good piece on this, but I have the old edition. And it's on Kindle. On my PC. It's funny how many assumptions are made. Sowell has lots of references that I think would be necessary to really making an informed decision on the reality of hiring discrimination, but he brings up good questions and good points and targets the errors in short media hack pieces.

Kilroy the Ninja

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1305816163' post='2243574']
[b]Don[/b], if you want to find people who will hire you 'cause you're white', then it's best to look for employers who graduated from the same high school or college as you did. It's not unusual for people to hire someone with a similar background to themselves, because they are more familiar and comfortable with this.
[/quote]

That would probably prove problematic for Don, you see, he actually graduated from a predominately Hispanic high school. And actually, interesting story, during the whole Rodney King trial thing (or was it OJ Simpson, no, probably Rodney King) when all the black thugs at his high school started roaming the halls and rounding up the white boys who did not just go home, the Hispanic thugs stood up for Don John and insisted he was Mexican, not white.

BTW, we still live in that same house in that same neighborhood as he did where all the horrible things happened to him as a child. We are raising our three mixed race - yes, mixed race ('Cause I get to call myself Hispanic thanks to my mom and LULAC!) children here and they absolutely do not see color. And even though my son attends a very racially mixed Catholic school he is still discriminated against because he is not "Mexican enough".

Please don't tell me there isn't a whole lotta "reverse" discrimination going on. (Let's just call it good ol'fashioned discrimination, the reverse thing confuses it so). We live it every day.
The time for Affirmative Action is OVER and it is time that people were judged on their merits all the way around. Period.

[quote name='Kilroy the Ninja' timestamp='1305902771' post='2243841']
BTW, we still live in that same house in that same neighborhood as he did where all the horrible things happened to him as a child. We are raising our three mixed race - yes, mixed race ('Cause I get to call myself Hispanic thanks to my mom and LULAC!) children here and they absolutely do not see color. And even though my son attends a very racially mixed Catholic school he is still discriminated against because he is not "Mexican enough".
[/quote]
See? If there were more minorities in white neighborhoods, and more whites in minority neighborhoods, white people living in predominantly minority neignborhoods wouldn't be discriminated against. Affirmative action will work for you too! :dance:

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1305925482' post='2243955']
See? If there were more minorities in white neighborhoods, and more whites in minority neighborhoods, white people living in predominantly minority neignborhoods wouldn't be discriminated against. Affirmative action will work for you too! :dance:
[/quote]

what do you call a a black person who fly's a plane?

[quote name='add' timestamp='1305941509' post='2244031']
what do you call a a black person who fly's a plane?
[/quote]

a pilot, of course

cmotherofpirl

Please don't tell me there isn't a whole lotta "reverse" discrimination going on. (Let's just call it good ol'fashioned discrimination, the reverse thing confuses it so). We live it every day.
The time for Affirmative Action is OVER and it is time that people were judged on their merits all the way around. Period.
[/quote]

Werd.

I guess my mistake is believing what my hero Dr King said about the content of one's character being more important than the color or one's skin. Maybe he was too far ahead of his time, AND this time.

Kilroy the Ninja

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubV3t9_CwDc[/media]

I absolutely adore this movie - mostly for the message...

Winchester

That would probably prove problematic for Don, you see, he actually graduated from a predominately Hispanic high school. And actually, interesting story, during the whole Rodney King trial thing (or was it OJ Simpson, no, probably Rodney King) when all the black thugs at his high school started roaming the halls and rounding up the white boys who did not just go home, the Hispanic thugs stood up for Don John and insisted he was Mexican, not white.

[/quote]
I wish we had gone to school together. We would have brought home a necklace of ears and the thugs would have learned a valuable lesson about getting to know people on an individual basis instead of judging them by appearance.

I don't agree with affirmative action anymore. I was just in line for a bagel and was told that they've already sold 200 bagels to white people and they can't sell anymore that day until a black person bought one.

thessalonian

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1306083089' post='2244481']
I don't agree with affirmative action anymore. I was just in line for a bagel and was told that they've already sold 200 bagels to white people and they can't sell anymore that day until a black person bought one.
[/quote]

That is funny.

thessalonian

Affirmative Action = GOVERNMENT MANDATED DISCRIMINATION

Face it Dust. No discrimination is good.