An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religion From An Evolutionary Perspective

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1307116612' post='2249478']
On the contrary, Catholics love. We love not because we are called to but because we want to. It is Christ Who shows us the way and corrects us when we err. What you see here is an internet forum. You do not see our souls or the prayers in our hearts when we kneel before the Blessed Sacrament. Since we believe - know - that the Holy Catholic Church is the fullness of Truth we want all peoples to embrace Her. For their salvation and for God's glory. We love Protestants, Masons, and Muslims. But that does not mean we have to like their religions. If just for a second they knew what Catholics know, truly knew, they would be falling over each other to get to the nearest Church. And we would already be there, ready to open the doors.
[/quote]

beat me to it, good post :like:

Edited by Amppax

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1307110417' post='2249452']
I'm sorry I've forgotten, "sad" is just another social construct that only actually exist in the imagination of people. Sorry bout that just forget all about it.[/quote]

So is "love"...

Unless of course you say that 'god is love' and therefore objectify a purely subjective emotion/experience.

(Though I think that being motivated by love for others is a good thing, I won't argue against that premise, I just disagree with the methods and opinions being labeled objective truth.

[quote]Wikipedia FTW! But Oooh too bad so sad this source is nothing more than just another opinion and that's all. If you don't believe in objective truth stop arguing as though it exist. [/quote]

You're confusing facts with opinion. All opinions are subjective, whereas facts are independent from opinion.

You can't say that 1+1=2 is an opinion.

[quote]Oh I'm sure anti-theists can believe in gods, still though the atheists of the USSR and other communist states were in actuality atheists and enforced what they believe were atheist policies. [/quote]

I still think it's more in line with anti-anti-communism.

What causes an entire country to socially engineer itself to eradicate religion speaks of beliefs that many atheists don't hold, though there are those who think that the world would be a better pace without any religions.

I mean, wasn't Russia a feudal society before the revolution?

Edited by xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307086582' post='2249416']
I would say that is not my stance. I would say that moral and immoral seem to be religious terms, they imply a static set of objective wrong and rights, merely being an action that moves one closer to or away from god.[/quote]

Okay...I think that way about the words "good" and "evil", which is why I always write them that way.

xSilverPhinx

So, what do you guys think? Is something moral/good/just because God commands it or is it because there's a standard of morality outside of God?

xSilverPhinx

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1307124154' post='2249511']
expalin how there is morality outside of God.
[/quote]

As in is something moral because it is intrinsically good or because god says that it's good?

If god says that killing for instance is bad (and even put it in the 10 commandments), then why does he allow it in some cases? If killing were factually intrinsically bad then god shouldn't be able to command others to kill without violating that.

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1307128342' post='2249545']
As in is something moral because it is intrinsically good or because god says that it's good?

If god says that killing for instance is bad (and even put it in the 10 commandments), then why does he allow it in some cases? If killing were factually intrinsically bad then god shouldn't be able to command others to kill without violating that.
[/quote]

First of all, the commandment is thou shalt not [b]murder[/b]. that is an important distinction to make. Secondly, have you ever heard of the concept of free will? [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will[/url]

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1307123049' post='2249503']
So, what do you guys think? Is something moral/good/just because God commands it or is it because there's a standard of morality outside of God?
[/quote]

*arbitrarily enters the conversation*

i think that all goodness exists within God, and are "good" due to the inherent nature of God (not arbitrary commands)... but those are just my initial thoughts...

If there is no objective truth then I don't know why his grasp is any thing else less than yours. Because it isn't, it was his opinion and you have another. Without objective truth you can't argue as though objective truth exist so at the end of the day his truth is just as true as your truth. Welcome to the crazy world of relativism.
[/quote]
I feel there is much confusion with regards to language and definition of words and the concept of objective morals.
It certainly was objective morality that we were talking about which you have twisted into objective truth and you are now twisting it to mean the truth of the meaning of words.
If you want to argue that words have no objective meaning then it is indeed worthless me continuing to debate with you. If you want to debate objective morality then I am open to continue.
If you are really honest in your search to understand the term Athiest or Atheism you would spend some time investigating dictionary definitions. But all roads here will lead to Rome, "An Atheist lacks a belief in god". This is very clear, very succinct and simple to understand.

I'm sorry I've forgotten, "sad" is just another social construct that only actually exist in the imagination of people. Sorry bout that just forget all about it.
[/quote]
Again, if you care to play a game of grown-ups with me, I think it could be possible for us to have a productive conversation.

That's a might pretty opinion, but others in world history and others in the world today have had different opinions and without objective truth theirs is just as important and true as yours even if each conflict like crazy. You may think a black man is a person under the law, another person in another society may believe the opposite. Without objective truth, and 'truth' being left up to society or the individual, both opinions are of equal value.
[/quote]
All countries (societies) have a different set of rules, all religions preach a different set of rules. As a collective the democracies come up with rules that align with the majority, the dictatorships come up with rules that align with the leaders, the religions come up with rules that align with their interpretations of their scripture.

Oh I'm sure anti-theists can believe in gods, still though the atheists of the USSR and other communist states were in actuality atheists and enforced what they believe were atheist policies.
[/quote]
Not sure what your point is with regards to that one quote of Lennin's, he is no authority on Atheism and is not looked upon as an example of what Atheism is about. There is no such thing as Atheism really. Your argument is weak and contrived and has a somewhat misleading and villifying personal agenda.

From my POV what I've stated is objective truth, atheists have murdered millions of people in the modern age in the name of atheism...
[/quote]
In the name of atheism, I've never heard that one before, do you have a source reference that you can provide?
In all groups of people there are a contingent that are willing to murder people. Catholic history contains this, as do many other religions, again your personal agenda is showing at its best.

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1307116612' post='2249478']
On the contrary, Catholics love.[/quote]
Anti theist doesn't mean hate of the people, it means hate or opposition of the beliefs or religion. Catholocism is very much against any religion that isn't Catholocism.

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1307122000' post='2249499']
Okay...I think that way about the words "good" and "evil", which is why I always write them that way.
[/quote]
I am the same with regards to Good and Evil. I never use the word Evil, it makes no sense to me. The word "good" is doubled up, I never use the word "Good" with a capital as that is how religious people tend to use the word and define it as something towards god. But to me it is basically the same thing as moral and immoral. I have a personal set of values which in someway could be likened to morality but I don't choose to use the moral and immoral words as they imply other connotations

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1307124154' post='2249511']
expalin how there is morality outside of God.
[/quote]
I really feel it would be more productive to draw a line in the sand and define objective morality before we go down this path, otherwise we are likely to be debating different things which ends up being pointless
[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307044656' post='2249274']
Can anyone define what objective morality is?

1. What is it?
2. Who is the authority?
3. How do people know what the objective morals are?

As an atheist I do not have a definition of this concept. If you want an open and honest debate about this, we need to be clear with regards to what it is that we are debating.
[/quote]

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307128846' post='2249557']
[color=#595959][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2]Can anyone define what objective morality is?

1. What is it?[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#595959][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2]
[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#595959][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2][/quote][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#595959][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2]
[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#595959][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2]that's easy, objective morality is where there is an absolute right and wrong. Here's wikipedia [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_morality"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_morality[/url]

[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#595959][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2][quote]
2. Who is the authority?[/size][/font][/color]
[font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#595959"][/quote][/color][/size][/font]
[font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#595959"]
[/color][/size][/font]
[font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#595959"]God[/color][/size][/font]
[font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#595959"]
[/color][/size][/font]
[font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#595959"][quote][/color][/size][/font]
[color=#595959][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2]3. How do people know what the objective morals are?[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#595959][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2][/quote]
[/size][/font][/color]Many feel that morality based on Natural Law ([url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Law"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Law[/url]) is the way to go :like:

KnightofChrist

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1307121692' post='2249498']
So is "love"...

Unless of course you say that 'god is love' and therefore objectify a purely subjective emotion/experience.

(Though I think that being motivated by love for others is a good thing, I won't argue against that premise, I just disagree with the methods and opinions being labeled objective truth. [/quote]

Love does not exist without God. Love would be yet another made up social construct. So for an atheist to say he 'loves' anyone is for the atheist to believe or state something that is only imaginary. What a depressing pointless existance to think that the love I would have for my wife does not in fact exist but is only imaginary and is just a product of societal social constructs, and cheicmcial and biological functions in my body.

[quote name='xSilverPhinx' timestamp='1307121692' post='2249498']You're confusing facts with opinion. All opinions are subjective, whereas facts are independent from opinion.

You can't say that 1+1=2 is an opinion.

I still think it's more in line with anti-anti-communism.

What causes an entire country to socially engineer itself to eradicate religion speaks of beliefs that many atheists don't hold, though there are those who think that the world would be a better pace without any religions.

I mean, wasn't Russia a feudal society before the revolution?
[/quote]

I'm not confused at all. You've not stated any facts other than 1+1=2, and even that is sometimes argued as relative. And thanks but I dismiss the rest of this as just your personal opinion which is in no way binding in reality.

KnightofChrist

I feel there is much confusion with regards to language and definition of words and the concept of objective morals.
It certainly was objective morality that we were talking about which you have twisted into objective truth and you are now twisting it to mean the truth of the meaning of words.
If you want to argue that words have no objective meaning then it is indeed worthless me continuing to debate with you. If you want to debate objective morality then I am open to continue.[/quote]

Without objective truth words can mean anything one wishes them to mean. Again welcome to the world of relativism. And I feel what your stating is just more baseless subjective relative personal opinion. There is no objective morality or truth without God. All you have is your opinion. I have mine by your own ideology are opinions are equal in value.

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307128846' post='2249557']If you are really honest in your search to understand the term Athiest or Atheism you would spend some time investigating dictionary definitions. But all roads here will lead to Rome, "An Atheist lacks a belief in god". This is very clear, very succinct and simple to understand.[/quote]

Again just more of your baseless subjective relative personal opinion.

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307128846' post='2249557']Again, if you care to play a game of grown-ups with me, I think it could be possible for us to have a productive conversation.[/quote]

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307128846' post='2249557']All countries (societies) have a different set of rules, all religions preach a different set of rules. As a collective the democracies come up with rules that align with the majority, the dictatorships come up with rules that align with the leaders, the religions come up with rules that align with their interpretations of their scripture.[/quote]

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307128846' post='2249557']Not sure what your point is with regards to that one quote of Lennin's, he is no authority on Atheism and is not looked upon as an example of what Atheism is about. There is no such thing as Atheism really. Your argument is weak and contrived and has a somewhat misleading and villifying personal agenda.[/quote]

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307128846' post='2249557']In the name of atheism, I've never heard that one before, do you have a source reference that you can provide?
In all groups of people there are a contingent that are willing to murder people. Catholic history contains this, as do many other religions, again your personal agenda is showing at its best.[/quote]

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307128846' post='2249557']Anti theist doesn't mean hate of the people, it means hate or opposition of the beliefs or religion. Catholocism is very much against any religion that isn't Catholocism.[/quote]

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307128846' post='2249557']I am the same with regards to Good and Evil. I never use the word Evil, it makes no sense to me. The word "good" is doubled up, I never use the word "Good" with a capital as that is how religious people tend to use the word and define it as something towards god. But to me it is basically the same thing as moral and immoral. I have a personal set of values which in someway could be likened to morality but I don't choose to use the moral and immoral words as they imply other connotations[/quote]

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1307128846' post='2249557']I really feel it would be more productive to draw a line in the sand and define objective morality before we go down this path, otherwise we are likely to be debating different things which ends up being pointless

[/quote]

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1307131007' post='2249570']
Without objective truth words can mean anything one wishes them to mean. Again welcome to the world of relativism. And I feel what your stating is just more baseless subjective relative personal opinion. There is no objective morality or truth without God. All you have is your opinion. I have mine by your own ideology are opinions are equal in value.
[/quote]
The difference is that I am willing to discuss my opinions and contemplate and consider the opinions of others. I am even willing to change my opinion if presented with new and relevant information.

CephaDrigan

If you want to argue that words have no objective meaning then it is indeed worthless me continuing to debate with you. If you want to debate objective morality then I am open to continue.
If you are really honest in your search to understand the term Athiest or Atheism you would spend some time investigating dictionary definitions. But all roads here will lead to Rome, "An Atheist lacks a belief in god". This is very clear, very succinct and simple to understand.
[/quote]

What he's saying is that, by your belief system (or lack thereof), anything that is spoken is subjective, and nothing can have more truth than anything else. Were we to say that grass is red, that would be inaccurate, but due to the lack of definition of objectivity, you would not be able to refute it by replying that the grass is green. We all know that it is green, but because colors are merely perception of light, you could not argue your sight to be correct. Consider "objectivity," even though it is not true objectivity, to be something that is accepted and consistent among society. Thus, you can use definitions and such. But we can't discuss objective morality until you say where objective is. (Though, of course, [i]where[/i] you say is subjective in itself)

[quote]
Not sure what your point is with regards to that one quote of Lenin's, he is no authority on Atheism and is not looked upon as an example of what Atheism is about. There is no such thing as Atheism really. Your argument is weak and contrived and has a somewhat misleading and villifying personal agenda.
[/quote]
He may not be an authority on atheism, but he [i]does[/i] emulate atheism, whether you like it or not. He satisfies all the requirements of being atheist, which is to say, not believing in God. If atheism doesn't really exist though, then you could say that no words [i]really[/i] exist, and that all words are subjective.

[quote]
In the name of atheism, I've never heard that one before, do you have a source reference that you can provide?
In all groups of people there are a contingent that are willing to murder people. Catholic history contains this, as do many other religions, again your personal agenda is showing at its best.
[/quote]
I think that the main difference here is that those people willing to murder people that happen to be atheists fulfill [i]all[/i] requirements for atheism, although those Catholics that do so are misguided, and do not follow all of the teachings that they are supposed to follow.

[quote]
I really feel it would be more productive to draw a line in the sand and define objective morality before we go down this path, otherwise we are likely to be debating different things which ends up being pointless
[/quote]
Then do so. Nearly everybody else has very similar moral lines, so we can probably argue from wherever you happen to draw yours.

[quote name='CephaDrigan' timestamp='1307134069' post='2249589']
What he's saying is that, by your belief system (or lack thereof), anything that is spoken is subjective, and nothing can have more truth than anything else.
[/quote]
The problem is that he is telling me what my belief system is rather than listening to what I am saying. My standpoint is that there are no objective moralities, however I do feel that words have a defined meaning, there are many languages and they are created by humans, they do evolve over time, but thanks to published dictionaries we have the ability to communicated using a common understanding of words. If a word is ambiguous it is worth taking the time to clarify before debating an issue using that word, so in the context of that debate the definition is clear.

He may not be an authority on atheism, but he [i]does[/i] emulate atheism, whether you like it or not. He satisfies all the requirements of being atheist, which is to say, not believing in God. If atheism doesn't really exist though, then you could say that no words [i]really[/i] exist, and that all words are subjective.
[/quote]
The only requirement of atheism is having a lack of belief in gods. That's it, no more than that. Atheism does not lead towards or require a communist state. If a person likes communism and feels that theistic beliefs are a threat then they may want to promote atheist stance to the people. They may even come up with some propoganda towards this goal. But that propoganda is not Atheist propoganda, is is the propoganda presented by that person towards their personal agenda of getting people into communism.

I think that the main difference here is that those people willing to murder people that happen to be atheists fulfill [i]all[/i] requirements for atheism, although those Catholics that do so are misguided, and do not follow all of the teachings that they are supposed to follow.
[/quote]
I still don't see the point of the argument. Atheism does not lead to being a murderer. They may fullful all the rerequirements of atheism, but also fulfil all the requirements of being human and all the requirements of being alive, you could even say all the requirements of being god's creation.
I just don't get the point, how does this imply anything about atheism?