An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Civilized And Focused Discussion On Life Teen

Steve

Dale was indeed the founder of Lifeteen. He founded it in 1985. He was excommunicated in 2008, hardly recent, and 4 years after he had [i]already left[/i] Lifeteen. Be careful that you don't confuse charismatic with protestantism with what this crazy guy did that got him excommunicated. More to the topic, the current leadership of Lifeteen is far-removed from Mr. Fushek. Here is the letter the current president and CEO of Lifeteen wrote regarding said excommunication (2008).

[quote]Dear Friends in Ministry,

I pray this letter finds you well. Thanks for all you do for teens.

I am writing to let you know some sad news. The Most Rev. Thomas J. Olmsted, Bishop of Phoenix, has issued a Decree of Excommunication to one of the Life Teen founders – Reverend Monsignor Dale Fushek. He incurred the censure of excommunication because he has chosen to be in schism with the Catholic Church by establishing and leading an opposing ecclesial community known to the public as the Praise and Worship Center.

This excommunication is not connected in any way with the ministry of Life Teen, as all of the actions that led to this occurred after Rev. Dale Fushek’s involvement with our ministry. Further, I want to make it clear that Life Teen is in no way associated with his new venture.

Even though it has been almost four years since he has been directly involved with the movement of Life Teen, the media continues to associate Rev. Dale Fushek with Life Teen. While we continue to pray for Rev. Dale Fushek, the movement of Life Teen is in full support of Bishop Olmsted and Diocese of Phoenix in this matter.

Life Teen continues to faithfully and enthusiastically serve the Roman Catholic Church in complete obedience to the Magisterium and strict fidelity to Church teachings.

Our 2009 theme for Life Teen is “Heroic Virtue.” With the focus of living the virtues, through the intercession of our Blessed Mother Mary, we continue to pray for your ministry with teens. Likewise, we pray for all who played a part in our movement over the past two decades. We wish to thank all our Life Teen family from around the world who continue to support our mission of leading teenagers and their families closer to Christ in communion with the Roman Catholic Church.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. May we all stay focused on the mission of leading teens closer to Christ!

Peace,

Randy Raus
Life Teen President / CEO[/quote]

I greatly encourage everyone to find out what Lifeteen is [u]really[/u] all about. Here is a good place to start: http://www.lifeteen.com/about

Also, feel free to listen to this talk given last year by Randy about his perspective and vision for the future of the program. Hear it from the horses mouth, so to speak.

[media]http://vimeo.com/15776564[/media]

Edited by Sirklawd

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1310746379' post='2267759']
Is that a good thing? To have the communication of the faith so intimately tied to the personal charisma of a single layperson?
[/quote]

its a completely dangerous and tragic thing, even if that person is genuine and trying to do their best. No one should be left alone like that, with all that weight on their shoulders. Especially not a layperson. Personally, I dont think a youth minister can do it alone. Lifeteen strictly suggests the YM get a core team of laypeople (and religious if available) to help, and after 4 years I can't agree more. That way all the various needs of running the group are met (including charisma), and the Holy Spirit is allowed to work in and through even more lives.

Also ideally, the youth minister is backed up by the pastor, and that the pastor is involved enough with the youthgroup to know if the teachings are true. But you dont have to look very far in this country to find burnt-out or uninterested pastors.

[quote name='Sirklawd' timestamp='1310784921' post='2268045']
you dont have to look very far in this country to find burnt-out or uninterested pastors.
[/quote]

[size="3"]I beg your pardon, this attitude you frequently espouse about some catholic priest (and some of my fellow parishioners) is distressing. I have met and/or been preached to by a lot of pastors, in my years and all of them save none, did I ever find to be "burnt-out or uninterested". [/size]

[size="3"]In a way, your above statement summarizes precisely what I find offensive with lifeteen[/size]

[quote name='add' timestamp='1310811797' post='2268146']
[size="3"]I beg your pardon, this attitude you frequently espouse about some catholic priest (and some of my fellow parishioners) is distressing. I have met and/or been preached to by a lot of pastors, in my years and all of them save none, did I ever find to be "burnt-out or uninterested". [/size]

[size="3"]In a way, your above statement summarizes precisely what I find offensive with lifeteen[/size]
[/quote]

if you haven't seen it, it must not be true? I believe it would be really helpful to this discussion if you actually explain what "summarizes precisely what I find offensive with lifeteen" means. You seem to criticize lifeteen for not being traditional or being faithful to the church, and then criticize me when I hold other people up to that same standard. This seems to indicate we're just trying to meet [i]your[/i] standards.

Also do you care to acknowledge any of the other things I mentioned? Did you watch the video? You should, it addresses some of your issues.

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Sirklawd' timestamp='1310670253' post='2267442']
, teen Eucharistic Ministers,
[/quote]

sorry...gotta do it. in greatest charity and love...

teen Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion

or

teen EMHCs

love ya!

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1310830310' post='2268218']
sorry...gotta do it. in greatest charity and love...

teen Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion

or

teen EMHCs

love ya!
[/quote]

oops! right :like:

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Sirklawd' timestamp='1310784921' post='2268045']
its a completely dangerous and tragic thing, even if that person is genuine and trying to do their best. No one should be left alone like that, with all that weight on their shoulders. Especially not a layperson. Personally, I dont think a youth minister can do it alone. Lifeteen strictly suggests the YM get a core team of laypeople (and religious if available) to help, and after 4 years I can't agree more. That way all the various needs of running the group are met (including charisma), and the Holy Spirit is allowed to work in and through even more lives.

Also ideally, the youth minister is backed up by the pastor, and that the pastor is involved enough with the youthgroup to know if the teachings are true. But you dont have to look very far in this country to find burnt-out or uninterested pastors.
[/quote]
That's one of several reasons that those youth programs never did, and never can speak to me in any relevant way.

[quote name='Sirklawd' timestamp='1310829507' post='2268215']
if you haven't seen it, it must not be true? I believe it would be really helpful to this discussion if you actually explain what "summarizes precisely what I find offensive with lifeteen" means. You seem to criticize lifeteen for not being traditional or being faithful to the church, and then criticize me when I hold other people up to that same standard. This seems to indicate we're just trying to meet [i]your[/i] standards.

Also do you care to acknowledge any of the other things I mentioned? Did you watch the video? You should, it addresses some of your issues.
[/quote]

you have stated:

[list=1][*]that Catechism classes/Confirmation classes isn't doing a good enough job[*]LifeTeen (as it is now, not as it started) is the best thing that is happening to the church in the next 30 years. Period. When this generation gets older and is in charge, the lion of the church will be awake again, and the flabby, flacid, apathetic, watered-down modernist evil that has infected the church the last 30 years will finally be driven out.[*] you dont have to look very far in this country to find burnt-out or uninterested pastors.[/list]with all due respect, you are full of baloney

lifeteen mass is for and about minor adults only. the 5th commandment gives the parent not only the authority but also the obligation to raise there offspring in the catholic faith. part of that responsibility is adhering to the 3rd commandment, lifeteen mass excludes family by design and is flawed in that way. traditional Sunday mass with the whole family together with the parish community is true!
lifeteen mass is family valueless

Edited by add

[quote name='add' timestamp='1310840503' post='2268250']
you have stated:

[list=1][*]that Catechism classes/Confirmation classes isn't doing a good enough job[*]LifeTeen (as it is now, not as it started) is the best thing that is happening to the church in the next 30 years. Period. When this generation gets older and is in charge, the lion of the church will be awake again, and the flabby, flacid, apathetic, watered-down modernist evil that has infected the church the last 30 years will finally be driven out.[*] you dont have to look very far in this country to find burnt-out or uninterested pastors.[/list]with all due respect, you are full of baloney

lifeteen mass is for and about minor adults only. the 5th commandment gives the parent not only the authority but also the obligation to raise there offspring in the catholic faith. part of that responsibility is adhering to the 3rd commandment, lifeteen mass excludes family by design and is flawed in that way. traditional Sunday mass with the whole family together with the parish community is true!
[/quote]
so you didn't read/watch any of the links?

if your lifeteen mass, or one that you know of, is kicking out parents at the door, and locking them out you need to notify your pastor and bishop.

I stand by my comments. Why am i full of baloney?

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1310832514' post='2268225']
That's one of several reasons that those youth programs never did, and never can speak to me in any relevant way.
[/quote]

i'm not sure I follow you here. Can you elaborate? Many DRE's are in the same sort of "on their own" position too. Not saying it's good. It just is.

[quote name='Sirklawd' timestamp='1310841946' post='2268260']
so you didn't read/watch any of the links?[color="#0000FF"] i looked at your links, look at this link - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmPRHJd3uHI&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.c...feature=related[/url]
[/color]
if your lifeteen mass, or one that you know of, is kicking out parents at the door, and locking them out you need to notify your pastor and bishop. [color="#0000FF"]isn't it a lifeteen mass[/color], [color="#0000FF"]for geared exclusively teens ?[/color]

I stand by my comments. Why am i full of baloney? [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmPRHJd3uHI&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

Edited by add

Brother Adam

[quote name='add' timestamp='1310840503' post='2268250']
you have stated:

[/quote]

Life Teen recognizes and encourages parents to be the primary educators of their children's faith. It also recognizes that teens want to spend time together and that it is healthy for them to do so in their communities. Even better if they are spending time worshiping God. Life Teen Masses are not "family valueless" (that phrase, by the way, is gibberish, but we get what you are trying to say) - every Mass is open to every person. I haven't been to a Life Teen Mass where families aren't worshiping together. If some parishes are taking Life Teen too far, that is not a reflection of Life Teen, but the parish.

We could equally as much open a thread on a 'civilized discussion about the EF" where we start bashing those EF parishes that are lifeless, loveless, filled with angry and rude members, and pastors who think everyone is going to hell. That is not a deficiency in the EF, but in those running the parish.

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1310843979' post='2268271']
Life Teen recognizes and encourages parents to be the primary educators of their children's faith. It also recognizes that teens want to spend time together and that it is healthy for them to do so in their communities. Even better if they are spending time worshiping God. Life Teen Masses are not "family valueless" (that phrase, by the way, is gibberish, but we get what you are trying to say) - every Mass is open to every person. I haven't been to a Life Teen Mass where families aren't worshiping together. If some parishes are taking Life Teen too far, that is not a reflection of Life Teen, but the parish.

We could equally as much open a thread on a 'civilized discussion about the EF" where we start bashing those EF parishes that are lifeless, loveless, filled with angry and rude members, and pastors who think everyone is going to hell. That is not a deficiency in the EF, but in those running the parish.
[/quote]

im sorry, what does ef stand for?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='add' timestamp='1310768105' post='2267951']
[b]Life Teen's program can be good, however, they often perform all kinds of liturgical abuses during the in mass favor of creating a "lively spirit" for the kids. This amounts to a Protestantization of the Holy mass. Life teen's founder has recently been excommunicated by the church. He was excommunicated for founding a interfaith prayer group.... in other words for founding a schismatic group, and in a sense becoming too protestant.
(Not to mention Msgr. Dale Fushek's criminal record with children... He has had seven misdemeanor counts including contributing to the delinquency of a minor, indecent exposure and assault.)

This is what happens when people pray like protestants... they become protestants. We need to make sure we are praying like Catholics, not protestants, or we and our kids will loose the catholic faith and get a Protestantized version of it.
[/b]
[/quote]
Kindly stop condemning an [i]entire[/i] organization because of the sins of several of the members, its unkind, uncharitable and probably slander, you know the very tactics used against the Catholic Church on a daily basis. Lifeteen like EVERY other program in existence is only as good or bad as the local people running it.

Brother Adam

And once again I would like to ask that this thread be closed due to the unhealthy obsession some people have with the group.