An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Civilized And Focused Discussion On Life Teen

Steve

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1309314384' post='2260059']
Whoa. Father Gregory rules.

Penciled Dude, you graduated!?
[/quote]

Nah, I haven't haha I'll be a Junior this up coming year.

I'm just back home for summer.

Cam, I hate to call into question your manhood, but your posts have been disappointing. I understand your position, but some things are just unacceptable:

[quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1308772909' post='2257339']
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/camilam42/Misc/Really.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

Is that Bud Light you're drinking? The koozie cannot hide your shame. Even if it does have a pretty butterfly on it.

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1309328020' post='2260144']
Cam, I hate to call into question your manhood, but your posts have been disappointing. I understand your position, but some things are just unacceptable:

Is that Bud Light you're drinking? The koozie cannot hide your shame. Even if it does have a pretty butterfly on it.
[/quote]

The reason that there is a butterfly on it is to symbolize that Bud LIght is Nectar from the Gods...especially at 6am, which is about when that picture was taken.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1309346536' post='2260169']
The reason that there is a butterfly on it is to symbolize that Bud LIght is Nectar from the Gods...especially at 6am, which is about when that picture was taken.
[/quote]

Coffee is God's Love in a Cup. :saint:

Brother Adam

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' timestamp='1309378240' post='2260383']
Coffee is God's Love in a Cup. :saint:
[/quote]

Especially mystic monk coffee.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1309466495' post='2261138']
Life Teen is dumb. Put on some pantaloons, you kids.
[/quote]

So is Winchester, but we just keep our mouths shut about it.

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' timestamp='1309296581' post='2259897']
Praise God!!!

So, glad my University runs these things, alongside Lifeteen.

Glad to hear everything was so anointed.
[/quote]

Amen! Love Steubie when I visit for a FoP.

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1309299690' post='2259919']
Pictures from our youth conference: http://www.flickr.com/photos/franciscanuniversity/sets/72157627071223586/

Teens raising their hands to praise Jesus Christ instead of a satanic rock band. Terrifying right?
[/quote]

amesome photos!

LifeTeen (as it is now, not as it started) is the best thing that is happening to the church in the next 30 years. Period. When this generation gets older and is in charge, the lion of the church will be awake again, and the flabby, flacid, apathetic, watered-down modernist evil that has infected the church the last 30 years will finally be driven out.

See Lifeteen is not meant to be a single solitary vehicle for a persons entire faith journey. It's meant to do one thing, bring [u]teens[/u] closer to Christ (generally assuming they are no where near Christ to begin with). Once they are there, once they begin to fall in love with the faith and Christ, then they will fly on their own discovering the full wonder and beauty of the faith. College-level kids, after 4 years of high school Lifeteen can't be fed any more by Lifeteen. It's kids-table stuff. They need more. But the most important part, the part that shows why LT is so great, is that they [i]want[/i] more. They want to keep going and go deeper.

Arguments can (and will always) be made about music during Mass, but in terms of church teaching Lifeteen is the most non-watered down thing for anyone under 20 (and barring a few examples, over). Youth Rallies are great, but check out the Lifeteen Leadership Conference if you want thick, glorious teaching. It's like an entire confirmation program in 5 days. (and unlike nearly every confirmation program, teens actually want more once they leave)

Edited by Sirklawd

[quote name='Sirklawd' timestamp='1309956849' post='2263575']
LifeTeen (as it is now, not as it started) is the best thing that is happening to the church in the next 30 years. Period. When this generation gets older and is in charge, the lion of the church will be awake again, and the flabby, [s]flacid[/s] flaccid, apathetic, watered-down modernist evil that has infected the church the last 30 years will finally be driven out.
[/quote]
ya, see, i have a big problem with blanket statements like you've made here. LifeTeen is the best thing? LifeTeen will drive out the 'modernist evil'?

[quote name='Sirklawd' timestamp='1309956849' post='2263575']
LifeTeen (as it is now, not as it started) is the best thing that is happening to the church in the next 30 years.
[/quote]

LifeTeen as it is now, is the same as it started , no good

dells_of_bittersweet

[quote name='add' timestamp='1310083249' post='2264196']
LifeTeen as it is now, is the same as it started , no good
[/quote]

I can't speak for other diocese, but in mine Lifeteen is definitely the best thing that's happened to us in twenty years. We have two parishes with Lifeteen programs, and nearly half of our seminarians are from those two parishes.

I've had the privilege to participate in Lifeteen here for four years and it's made a huge impact on my faith. Lifeteen enables teens to meet other teens who are serious about their faith-it builds a Christian community.

The teaching is legit. The core members are unafraid to speak the truth.

The retreats are unbelievable experiences and I've seen fellow teens totally turn their lives around during these weekends.

Most of you are complaining about Lifeteen while never having participated in the program as a teen. All you see of Lifeteen is a Mass with music you don't personally like. Yes, I agree that chant would be preferable...but most of the other Masses at your parish probably feature hideous songs from the Gather Hymnal by David Haas and Marty Haugen. The Church has no official teaching as to whether or not P&W is preferable to Gather-it doesn't want either-so don't go after Lifeteen for something that's no worse than what happens at every other Mass.

Nihil Obstat

I think that Summorum Pontificum and Anglicanorum Coetibus each on their own are more valuable to the Church than LifeTeen.

Look, any program that involves teens is going to be a hot mess. It always has been, and it always will be. That applies to Catholic high schools - male, female, or co-ed - sports programs, social programs, retreat programs, and anything else you can think of.

Teens are in a phase of life when they're not yet mature, but they're reaching for it. Many are not yet fully responsible, but they can drive & they have money in their pockets, all of which is a dangerous combination. They're trying to decide - more or less consciously - whether they believe what their folks have been teaching them, whether they want to become people like their folks, and what they want to be when they grow up. They're experimenting with life - sex, drugs, rock & roll, new crowds of friends, majors in college... every element of their lives. You experiment with life, and somebody's bound to get hurt somewhere along the way.

As far as Life Teen - or any other youth program - goes, God love 'em. And God love the ministers who run 'em. And God bless 'em, too! They're trying. They're trying to preach, teach, shepherd these guys, keep 'em from straying too far off the straight & narrow during their experimental phase, provide some alternatives to the much worse non-Church stuff that's out there.

Will there be excesses? Yes - teenagers are involved. Will every program succeed? No - there are teenagers involved. Will they produce fruit? Probably - and pobably more in the future than you can see right now.

[b]AL[/b]L ministry - preaching, teaching, catechesis, sacraments, prayer, the whole lot of it - is an attempt to sow good seed. But it's not a salvation kit that comes with a money-back guarantee. Even very good seed takes some time to grow & bear fruit.