An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Civilized And Focused Discussion On Life Teen

Steve

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1311019874' post='2269591']
but to condemn any form of mass the church approves is in effect condemning the church. if the catholic church says its good and approved, who are we to say different?
[/quote]

I don't believe I said anything about condemning a mass. People have differences in opinion about liturgical innovations and music, but that is not the same as condemning a mass and going so far as to call it invalid.

havok579257

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' timestamp='1311020182' post='2269593']
I don't believe I said anything about condemning a mass. People have differences in opinion about liturgical innovations and music, but that is not the same as condemning a mass and going so far as to call it invalid.
[/quote]

people are not calling it invalid but saying things about how much better one mass is over the other or how one mass leads to liturgical abuses and so on. its very obvious some people on here look down on and condemn a certain type of mass. something the church does not do. the church does not say one mass is great and one mass is acceptable.

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1311021827' post='2269607']
people are not calling it invalid but saying things about how much better one mass is over the other or how one mass leads to liturgical abuses and so on. its very obvious some people on here look down on and condemn a certain type of mass. something the church does not do. the church does not say one mass is great and one mass is acceptable.
[/quote]

"[font="Times"][size="2"]Certainly as far as the liturgy is concerned, we cannot say that one song is as good as another."[/size][/font]

[font="Times"][size="2"]thats just one quote....the mass itself is still perfect in the sense of the sacrament/sacrifice no matter the other failings, but the other parts of the mass are meant to help people enter into the mystery of the mass and not distract them from it/provide bad catechesis or anything else along those lines.[/size][/font]

for more about the celebration of the mass: [url="http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_ben-xvi_exh_20070222_sacramentum-caritatis_en.html"]Post-synodal Apostolic Exhortation Sacramentum Caritatis[/url]

more qts:

"[font="Times"][size="2"]First of all, there is a need to reflect on the inherent unity of the rite of Mass. Both in catechesis and in the actual manner of celebration, one must avoid giving the impression that the two parts of the rite are merely juxtaposed."[/size][/font]
[font="Times"] [/font]
[font="Times"][size="2"]"I[/size][/font] ask that the liturgy of the word always be carefully prepared and celebrated. Consequently I urge that every effort be made to ensure that the liturgical proclamation of the word of God is entrusted to well- prepared readers. Let us never forget that "when the Sacred Scriptures are read in the Church, God himself speaks to his people, and Christ, present in his own word, proclaims the Gospel"(135). When circumstances so suggest, a few brief words of introduction could be offered in order to focus the attention of the faithful. "

"[font="Times"][size="2"]the quality of homilies needs to be improved. The homily is "part of the liturgical action" (139), and is meant to foster a deeper understanding of the word of God, so that it can bear fruit in the lives of the faithful. Hence ordained ministers must "prepare the homily carefully, based on an adequate knowledge of Sacred Scripture" (140). Generic and abstract homilies should be avoided."[/size][/font]
[font="Times"] [/font]
[font="Times"][size="2"]"[/size][/font][font=Times][size=2]The beauty of the liturgy is part of this mystery; it is a sublime expression of God's glory and, in a certain sense, a glimpse of heaven on earth."[/size][/font]

Edited by 1catholic

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1311021827' post='2269607']
[/quote]

If you mean the Novus/Traditional Latin Mass, that isn't a discussion I really get into much, myself. There are probably certain things that one really shouldn't say about the Novus Ordo (unless they want to get slapped with a Phishy tag.) But it's my understanding that certain things about liturgy that can be discussed without going against the Church. Someone else that discusses these things more often can better explain this than me. :wave:

Edited by Ash Wednesday

i don't know much, but i do think a Sunday morning mass with the whole family together is better than separate mass designed exclusively for teen-aged children. a family that prays together, stays together.

:goodnight:

Brother Adam

i don't know much [color="#FF0000"][thank you][/color], but i do think a Sunday morning mass with the whole family together is better [color="#FF0000"][not just better, it is the ideal][/color] than separate mass designed exclusively for teen-aged children [color="#FF0000"][Cool. I have never been to a parish like that. I am still not sure who you have a beef with, but it isn't lifeteen][/color]. a family that prays together, stays together. [color="#FF0000"][Word][/color]

[color="#FF0000"]I have been to life teen masses where teens sit together, but their parents are there too. I have only on occasion seen teens at Mass without their parents, usually because the teen is a convert. This goes for the EF Masses and Life Teen Masses I have been to. I have no problem with that because life teen parishes promote strong families. It's like if a bunch of families get together at someone's house and you insist that the teens are not allowed to hang out, they have to stay with their parents the whole time. That would be unhealthy. For teens to worship together on occasion is amesome. As an aside, the Life Teen staff member I spoke to was horrified by the idea that families would worship separately on a regular basis. So if you know of parishes using the Life Teen name who are abusing it, you should contact their national staff.[/color]

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1311346960' post='2273805']
i don't know much [color="#FF0000"][thank you][/color], but i do think a Sunday morning mass with the whole family together is better [color="#FF0000"][not just better, it is the ideal][/color] than separate mass designed exclusively for teen-aged children [color="#FF0000"][Cool. I have never been to a parish like that. I am still not sure who you have a beef with, but it isn't lifeteen][/color]. a family that prays together, stays together. [color="#FF0000"][Word][/color]

[color="#FF0000"]I have been to life teen masses where teens sit together, but their parents are there too. I have only on occasion seen teens at Mass without their parents, usually because the teen is a convert. This goes for the EF Masses and Life Teen Masses I have been to. I have no problem with that because life teen parishes promote strong families. It's like if a bunch of families get together at someone's house and you insist that the teens are not allowed to hang out, they have to stay with their parents the whole time. That would be unhealthy. For teens to worship together on occasion is amesome. As an aside, the Life Teen staff member I spoke to was horrified by the idea that families would worship separately on a regular basis. So if you know of parishes using the Life Teen name who are abusing it, you should contact their national staff.[/color]
[/quote]

I contacted my area Diocese, about a valid concern.

Who in the lifeteen national organization should I contact, besides my Diocese?

Isn’t the local Diocese the true authority, in this type of matter?

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1311346960' post='2273805']
.[color="#FF0000"]the Life Teen staff member I spoke to was horrified by the idea that families would worship separately on a regular basis. .[/color]
[/quote]

[quote]Lifeteen, like any other program, will only be as orthodox as the people who are implementing it.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the program, just because I've heard so many stories similar to yours where people use Lifeteen as their excuse to do a lot of liberal modernist things. On the other hand, I've heard about parishes that have a very orthodox, authentically Catholic Lifeteen program as well--and a good amount of stories about how Lifeteen was the reason a lot of people fell in love so deeply with the Eucharist. Again, it all depends on who runs it on the local level.

It also doesn't help that the founder of Lifeteen, Dale Fushek, was excommunicated for starting his own praise and worship center. Granted, he hadn't been involved with running Lifeteen for a few years preceding his excommunication. [/quote]

Why should there be separate masses for different age or other special interest groups?

The Eucharist Sacrifice is supposed to draw all of us together ; young, old, and in between.

I find the whole Lifeteen Mass concept patronizing.

Edited by add

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1311524214' post='2274947']
where's the 'beating the dead horse' smilie when you need it?
[/quote]

does this work? [img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/charonn0/beathorse.gif[/img]

dells_of_bittersweet

Just got back from Lifeteen. Had a good time, but it was just a social night, so no preaching. Great group of teens though.

BTW, having the teens sit together makes it a lot easier for teens from C&E "Catholic" families to come to Mass. Most teens would feel very uncomfortable sitting by themselves and this removes an obstacle that prevents some teens from coming.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='dells_of_bittersweet' timestamp='1311564343' post='2275313']
Just got back from Lifeteen. Had a good time, but it was just a social night, so no preaching. Great group of teens though.

BTW, having the teens sit together makes it a lot easier for teens from C&E "Catholic" families to come to Mass. Most teens would feel very uncomfortable sitting by themselves and this removes an obstacle that prevents some teens from coming.
[/quote]
What is the target demographic for Lifeteen? Just curious.

[quote name='add' timestamp='1311526974' post='2274982']
does this work? [img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/charonn0/beathorse.gif[/img]
[/quote]
:doh: and sigh.

[quote name='dells_of_bittersweet' timestamp='1311564343' post='2275313']
[/quote]
The question is, why would they feel very uncomfortable? I believe making them feel comfortable needs to be worked on outside the Mass. And more so, the homily/preaching ought not be diluted to make everyone comfortable.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1311620891' post='2275788']
The question is, why would they feel very uncomfortable? I believe making them feel comfortable needs to be worked on outside the Mass. And more so, the homily/preaching ought not be diluted to make everyone comfortable.
[/quote]

A general comment, outside of the context of this discussion: As the only Catholic in my family, I have to admit I sometimes feel uncomfortable going to Mass by myself. Seeing everybody else together with their families, and me all by my lonesome. I mean, obviously it's not what Mass is all about. But, on a very natural level, one can feel quite left out.