An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Civilized And Focused Discussion On Life Teen

Steve

MissScripture

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1307845728' post='2252597']
here's what bugs me:

the same time of people who insist that you're not truly Catholic unless you accept & promote LifeTeen 1000%, are the same type of people who insist that you must accept Medjugorje; the same type of people who insist that you're not a real Catholic if you believe women can wear pantaloons; the same type of people who say if you think it's okay that women wear makeup, you're a heretic; the same type of people who insist that it's okay to use torture; and the same type of people who say that you can't be for the Death Penalty.

there, did i fit everything in? :|
[/quote]
Way to stay on topic. :| :harhar:

here's what bugs me:

the same time of people who insist that you're not truly Catholic unless you accept & promote LifeTeen 1000%, are the same type of people who insist that you must accept Medjugorje; the same type of people who insist that you're not a real Catholic if you believe women can wear pantaloons; the same type of people who say if you think it's okay that women wear makeup, you're a heretic; the same type of people who insist that it's okay to use torture; and the same type of people who say that you can't be for the Death Penalty.

[/quote]

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1307847724' post='2252617']
No, you forgot about NFP.
[/quote]

And the same type that say babies are the Devil's until they're baptized. (Yes, this actually came up tonight at the bar.)

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1307851602' post='2252646']
And the same type that say babies are the Devil's until they're baptized. (Yes, this actually came up tonight at the bar.)
[/quote]

Haha they obviously don't have experience with kids. They can sometimes seem like little hell-raisers with a few years on 'em

here's what bugs me:

[/quote]

Judging by the sentiments shared in the other thread, it seems like the same people who say that you aren't sufficiently Catholic if you support LIFE TEEN are the same people who tell you that even having questions about your faith, your Church and the GIRM is tantamount to heresy.

Then again, I'm not into generalizations. But I am into women in pantaloons :)

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Steve' timestamp='1307841846' post='2252565']
My point about the pop-culture is a counter point to the original post I was arguing against. It's not contradictory notice the "WERE". All caps. I don't think the Church WILL continue to decline in numbers because I have faith. But that doesn't mean that we should just go on doing what we are doing waiting for God to magically poof everything right again. We are his hands and feet.[/quote]

I don't think either side of the issue is happy with the status quo or content to do nothing, I think the disagreement lies in what should be done. Along these same lines, tying in with what you said earlier:

[quote]If forced to wear dresses, suits and bowties to mass they will NOT come to mass and in 40-50 years from now there will be no Catholic Church. [/quote]

That is not really how the Church works. The holy spirit is the driving force, the survival of the church does not hinge on something as trivial as how much she embraces pop culture or whether or not people are going to wear a tie. The church isn't going to put out some specific rubrics about clothing for people to follow, there are certainly circumstances where people will be wearing things like work clothes and whatnot, but a lot of it is just common sense.

[quote]As for dress code. I guess we can agree to disagree [b]and I'll be glad that Jesus is in charge of our church and not some of you.[/b][/quote]

I thought we were going to play nice and be civilized. Not the most charitable way of making your point.

I don't expect this thread to last much longer, they never do...but again at least I got to see Red use the word "pantaloons".

Edited by Ash Wednesday

MissScripture

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' timestamp='1307887596' post='2252745']

I don't expect this thread to last much longer, they never do...but again at least I got to see Red use the word "pantaloons".
[/quote]
Not to burst your bubble, but "pantaloons" is the filt[b][/b]er for pa[b][/b]nts...

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' timestamp='1307886372' post='2252742']
LOL, Red said "pantaloons"

I love that word. :hehe:
[/quote]

i put my pantaloons on, one leg at a time

Edited by add

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1307888114' post='2252747']
Not to burst your bubble, but "pantaloons" is the filt[b][/b]er for pa[b][/b]nts...
[/quote]

they need a...philter? Like coffee? :blink:

[quote name='add' timestamp='1307888174' post='2252748']
i put my pantaloons on, one leg at a time
[/quote]

*facebook like*

Edited by Ash Wednesday

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1307888114' post='2252747']
[/quote]
Shhh! :secret:

Ash Wednesday

[img]http://www.methodshop.com/video/reviews/cowbell/fever.jpg[/img]

The church just needs more cowbell.

And Christopher Walken. Unfortunately, he's a Methodist. No joke. It's just funny that such a spooky guy is a...Methodist. :hehe:

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1307888824' post='2252752']
:sad2: Sorry.
[/quote]

it's okay, for the rest of the day I'll just have an image in my head of a pair of pantaloons swirling with some water through a giant massive paper cone.

MissScripture

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' timestamp='1307889081' post='2252754']
it's okay, for the rest of the day I'll just have an image in my head of a pair of pantaloons swirling with some water through a giant massive paper cone.
[/quote]
Well, I'm glad I didn't ruin things for you entirely. :hehe:

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='Steve' timestamp='1307841846' post='2252565']
I'm sticking with the idea that Life Teen is a great ministry. For those of you who don't like it and feel that it's not orthodox enough/isn't teaching the theology enough/ isn't teaching about the church enough, use it as a supplement to your youth ministry. The other part of youth ministry would be Catechism classes/Confirmation classes. Those do plenty of all that. Maybe Life Teen is more about building a personal relationship with God. If you ask me that's a good thing cause God knows (and I mean it when I say GOD KNOWS) that Catechism classes/Confirmation classes isn't doing a good enough job of that. We need to stop graduating kids from our church with Confirmation. Because that's what they see it as. Graduation.
[/quote]

My best friend is a LifeTeen minister, and I haven't sat in on a Life night in years -- but knowing her, she's the real deal and she probably runs a tight orthodox ship back home. I think as I said before my biggest itch to scratch on this has to do with the application to the mass moreso than specific ministries.

I absolutely agree that kids to view it as graduation, and this is sad. Much of this I blame a combination of things, a combination of both sins and weaknesses in the Church and the darkness and folly of the times in general, like how much we are bombarded with mental consumerist Lady Caca junk food in our day to day lives outside of the brief moments we spend at our parish. As the problem is caused by multiple things, the solution will probably have to involve multiple things.

I think as time goes by the Church may undergo what JP2 called a qualitative renewal rather than quantitative for the time being. But it will be interesting to see what happens, as more and more I think the world is becoming hostile and at odds with authentic Christianity.

Edited by Ash Wednesday