Jaime Posted June 24, 2011 Posted June 24, 2011 So there have been tons of threads about music and its appropriateness at mass. Should guitars be allowed? Is Praise and Worship music appropriate? Did the the monks get it right with Gregorian chant and quit screwing around? I've offered opinions on all these questions. As far as Praise and Worship music, there's a lot that I like and there's some that I don't care for. But here's my theory. As opposed to secular music, I'm pretty sure that the while writers and performers of P&W are doing so for their audiences, they are also very sincere that they are doing so to please God. Obviously no one can know the mind of God but that's never really stopped us from guessing. (Some of us have gone further than just guessing) So what do you think? Is God pleased by all praise? Does he think of it like a parent does of a child's drawing? (He's proud but he knows its garbage) please give some explanation to your opinion. Also I will be annoyed by anyone who answers with "no one knows the mind of God"
mortify Posted June 24, 2011 Posted June 24, 2011 My opinion doesn't matter. Why not be pious and follow the ways of our spiritual forebears? Has something changed in our time where everything can be questioned? Keep it simple, stick with chant in Mass. Enjoy P&W in personal gatherings and Agape meetings.
Cam42 Posted June 24, 2011 Posted June 24, 2011 [quote name='jaime (the artist formerly known as hot stuff)' timestamp='1308927430' post='2258086'] So there have been tons of threads about music and its appropriateness at mass. Should guitars be allowed? Is Praise and Worship music appropriate? Did the the monks get it right with Gregorian chant and quit screwing around? I've offered opinions on all these questions. As far as Praise and Worship music, there's a lot that I like and there's some that I don't care for. But here's my theory. As opposed to secular music, I'm pretty sure that the while writers and performers of P&W are doing so for their audiences, they are also very sincere that they are doing so to please God. Obviously no one can know the mind of God but that's never really stopped us from guessing. (Some of us have gone further than just guessing) So what do you think? Is God pleased by all praise? Does he think of it like a parent does of a child's drawing? (He's proud but he knows its garbage) please give some explanation to your opinion. Also I will be annoyed by anyone who answers with "no one knows the mind of God" [/quote] Here is my take on this, buddy O buddy of mine....(I really love being back in touch with you, btw....) I think that Praise and Worship music is fine for Catholics as long as it is done with proper theological understanding and promotes Catholic thought. In other words, Praise and Worship music which is heretical in lyric, prolly ain't the best for a Catholic to be listening too.... I think that Praise and Worship music is fun, especially when you play it on your guitar...I'm hoping you have a 12 string now, because I love the sound of a12 string...but your trusty ol' 6 string is magic when you play it Himey...I just love how you strum... I think that Praise and Worship music is acceptable at certain para-liturgical gatherings as long as it is in keeping with the solemnity of the action being transposed. I think that Praise and Worship music, because it is hymnody at it's core, DOES NOT have a place at Mass. Hymns, as I have shown are not a Catholic ideal when it comes to the Mass. The Mass has it's own form of music, which are the propers and the ordinaries...hymns don't really have a place there. I think that Himey, is one of the bestest musical doods around here and I haz many hearts for hiz musics....'specially [i]If I had a Million Dollars[/i], done Bare Naked Ladies style...Himey is a HOOT at retreats...even when he gets covered in chocolate and even when he has to help the director of liturgy sit because she broke her bum on the ice....but I digress... Praise and Worship has a place, it just isn't at Mass...and finally, God loves all music, but God won't break liturgical law because a group of people like Steven Curtis Chapman's [i]The Call[/i]...
Sylvanna Imbris Posted June 24, 2011 Posted June 24, 2011 [quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1308928430' post='2258094'] I think that Praise and Worship music is fine for Catholics as long as it is done with proper theological understanding and promotes Catholic thought. In other words, Praise and Worship music which is heretical in lyric, prolly ain't the best for a Catholic to be listening too.... [/quote] This. Leaving aside the Mass question, I would say God values music based on what it does for his children and how they offer it.
Jaime Posted June 24, 2011 Author Posted June 24, 2011 [quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1308927556' post='2258089'] I refuse to speculate. [/quote] I refuse your refusal
Jaime Posted June 24, 2011 Author Posted June 24, 2011 [quote]God loves all music, [/quote] I don't think you actually believe that. I know i don't. I don't think God loves music that degrades women or supports hurting people.
Cam42 Posted June 24, 2011 Posted June 24, 2011 [quote name='jaime (the artist formerly known as hot stuff)' timestamp='1308934594' post='2258122'] I don't think you actually believe that. I know i don't. I don't think God loves music that degrades women or supports hurting people. [/quote] Well, color me funny....if you take what I say completely out of context, you're right...but if you take it in context of the conversation, it is perfectly acceptable...let's not take this to the completely absurd...we're not talking about Death Metal, we're talking about Praise and Worship.
Jaime Posted June 24, 2011 Author Posted June 24, 2011 [quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1308936361' post='2258129'] Well, color me funny....if you take what I say completely out of context, you're right...but if you take it in context of the conversation, it is perfectly acceptable...let's not take this to the completely absurd...we're not talking about Death Metal, we're talking about Praise and Worship. [/quote] You're a funny color
Cam42 Posted June 24, 2011 Posted June 24, 2011 [quote name='jaime (the artist formerly known as hot stuff)' timestamp='1308936757' post='2258133'] You're a funny color [/quote] I'm a little aqua-green today...just thought you would like to know.
Debra Little Posted June 25, 2011 Posted June 25, 2011 [quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1308973020' post='2258386'] For me it is very disrespectful. Besides it really doesn't do anything for me to get me in a spirit of worship. It shouldn't be used during Mass. [/quote]
CephaDrigan Posted June 25, 2011 Posted June 25, 2011 If the lyrics are theologically sound and not heretical then its typically good, but still Chant is the most appropriate during Mass
CephaDrigan Posted June 25, 2011 Posted June 25, 2011 (edited) double post; sorry [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/brickwall.gif[/img][img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/brickwall.gif[/img] Edited June 25, 2011 by CephaDrigan
dells_of_bittersweet Posted June 25, 2011 Posted June 25, 2011 I play in a Praise and Worship music band, and we mostly perform for youth group and will be doing an XLT in the near future. I personally love the music, but I have a question for the Lord and Master of Orthodoxy (or anyone else who feels qualified to answer): Are you allowed to do praise and worship music for a bunch of teenagers in a church?
Luigi Posted June 25, 2011 Posted June 25, 2011 The Holy Spirit reads hearts; Music is an expression of the heart; Praise & worship music is an expression of praise and worship; God is worthy to be praised; God likes us to sing to Him. (Puh-LEASE do not interpret this series of phrases as a chain of logic!) This is not to say that every praise & worship song is appropriate in every part of every Mass, but it does not preclude the possibility, either. If related to the readings and the feast of the day, if properly performed, if, if, if, if... then there's no reason to preclude their use in Mass. But then, the original post didn't ask about praise & worship music in Mass. Yes, God probably does accept our music the way parents accept children's artwork - but my singing is much better than my drawing.
cmotherofpirl Posted June 25, 2011 Posted June 25, 2011 Sang a funeral today for Aunty Olive: EH:On Eagle's Wngs RESP: Shelter Me O God OFF: Hear I am Lord COM: Blest are They MED: Imagine RECS: Holy God We Praise THey Name. If its theologically correct, singable and appropriate to the occasion, then its fine at Mass. Not all P & W is acceptable because it doesn't meet the above criteria for Catholic music. You can post all you want about hymns not being ideal according to whatever document you post, but you go into Catholic Church and you will find people singing hymns, whethers its a cathedral, a chapel, or even in Rome. Even before Vatican II people were not chanting they were singing hymns at Sunday Mass. Chanting is beautiful, but not the only way to praise God.
cmotherofpirl Posted June 25, 2011 Posted June 25, 2011 [quote name='dells_of_bittersweet' timestamp='1308974593' post='2258407'] I play in a Praise and Worship music band, and we mostly perform for youth group and will be doing an XLT in the near future. I personally love the music, but I have a question for the Lord and Master of Orthodoxy (or anyone else who feels qualified to answer): Are you allowed to do praise and worship music for a bunch of teenagers in a church? [/quote] Is it theologically correct, singable, and appropriate to the occasion?
BG45 Posted June 25, 2011 Posted June 25, 2011 [quote name='dells_of_bittersweet' timestamp='1308974593' post='2258407'] I play in a Praise and Worship music band, and we mostly perform for youth group and will be doing an XLT in the near future. I personally love the music, but I have a question for the Lord and Master of Orthodoxy (or anyone else who feels qualified to answer): Are you allowed to do praise and worship music for a bunch of teenagers in a church? [/quote] [quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1308975659' post='2258426'] Is it theologically correct, singable, and appropriate to the occasion? [/quote] From my own admittedly deficient knowledge of liturgical norms and canon law, I'd say what Cmom said. I know at more than a few Festivals of Praise, they've been inside a church and the music tended to meet those three items. Also just as an aside on the "Imagine" song being in the funeral, I think that's an amazing P&W song. I play it on iTunes usually before going to Adoration.
cmotherofpirl Posted June 25, 2011 Posted June 25, 2011 [quote name='BG45' timestamp='1308975941' post='2258434'] From my own admittedly deficient knowledge of liturgical norms and canon law, I'd say what Cmom said. I know at more than a few Festivals of Praise, they've been inside a church and the music tended to meet those three items. Also just as an aside on the "Imagine" song being in the funeral, I think that's an amazing P&W song. I play it on iTunes usually before going to Adoration. [/quote] I had never heard that song by Mercy Me before since I don't ever listen to P & W, but the family requested it yesterday at the funeral home so the organist learned it this morning before the funeral.
Recommended Posts