BG45 Posted July 23, 2012 Author Posted July 23, 2012 Sorry to bump...I did pass! But I was reading something that made me think of this. When I worked under the head of our Psych department at my old school, he told me the story of one of his friends in his cohort who failed Quals and was found walking around naked the next day after snapping from the stress and muttering to himself. Now it seems there is a possible, and I stretch only possible (as the university refuses to comment if he passed or not) link between failing Qualifiers and the shooting in Colorado at the Dark Knight Rises. [quote]"Holmes had recently withdrawn from a competitive graduate program in neuroscience at the University of Colorado Denver, where he was one of six students at the school to get National Institutes of Health grant money. He recently took an intense three-part, oral exam that marks the end of the first year of the four-year program there, but university officials would not say if he passed, citing privacy concerns. The university said Holmes gave no reason for his withdrawal, a decision he made in June."[/quote] [b] [/b]http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=157166683
Luigi Posted July 23, 2012 Posted July 23, 2012 CONGRATULATIONS!!!! on passing. I remember your online study cards from last year, but I didn't know where you stood. Good work!
BG45 Posted July 23, 2012 Author Posted July 23, 2012 Thanks Luigi! It's sad though, to think that his Qualifiers could have been a part of things. Plus that the people in the cohort behind me are all reading that story and realizing just how much stress can do to you.
Chrysophylax Posted July 23, 2012 Posted July 23, 2012 [quote name='BG45' timestamp='1343055937' post='2458105'] Sorry to bump...I did pass! But I was reading something that made me think of this. When I worked under the head of our Psych department at my old school, he told me the story of one of his friends in his cohort who failed Quals and was found walking around naked the next day after snapping from the stress and muttering to himself. Now it seems there is a possible, and I stretch only possible (as the university refuses to comment if he passed or not) link between failing Qualifiers and the shooting in Colorado at the Dark Knight Rises. [url="http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=157166683"]http://www.npr.org/t...oryId=157166683[/url] [/quote] Whoa, that is super interesting! and kinda creepy. I'm glad you passed so you didn't go insane! [img]http://www.quizz.biz/uploads/quizz/108941/7_LyZl1.jpg[/img] [b][size=5]"Stress; It's a killer, Sir."[/size][/b]
she_who_is_not Posted July 23, 2012 Posted July 23, 2012 HaHa! My sister came home from the bar the other night and was telling me about her friend whose boyfriend developed schizophrenia in law school and she said, "I understand why you are the way you are now." I was like, "Um, thanks for understanding?" We had a guy go nuts at my law school. It was actually pretty exciting and switched the gossip away from who was sleeping with whom for about a week.
TheresaThoma Posted July 23, 2012 Posted July 23, 2012 I share an office this summer with two grad students who are studying for quals. It can be amusing at times but other times it is best to just be very quiet and pretend you are invisible.
truthfinder Posted July 24, 2012 Posted July 24, 2012 Oddly enough, when I read about this in the new today, I thought about you and your adventures with quals. I'm just glad you passed!
truthfinder Posted July 24, 2012 Posted July 24, 2012 (edited) silly doublepost Edited July 24, 2012 by truthfinder
BG45 Posted July 24, 2012 Author Posted July 24, 2012 Did the thread actually load? Sorry lol, I've been hitting F5 for a while now as it keeps going "404". (here's hoping my reply doesn't need a few F5s too.) Thanks all...glad not to go insane too. (I'm pulling for you Brian the Physics guy!) SWIN, that's nuts...I hope when he snapped he didn't hurt himself or anyone else? TheresaThoma, that really isn't a fun place to be in! I know from experience and not just the studying side; a few people from the cohort behind mine are using the same study lounge I have been and they're a bit...testy.
TheresaThoma Posted July 25, 2012 Posted July 25, 2012 It honestly isn't that bad. I think one of them likes being around us as a reminder to take a break, if she really wants to study she has another area she goes to so it is all good.
BG45 Posted July 25, 2012 Author Posted July 25, 2012 That's good! I know what it means to have someone to make you take a break...people like that are invaluable![quote name='brianthephysicist' timestamp='1343170720' post='2458545'] Thanks, I'm certainly gonna need it [/quote] If I can do it, you can do it!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now