An Old School Catholic Message Board

3,000 Parishes...

Good Friday

homeschool,

your family could always join us: east of the Mississippi and in the city! :D

I'm grateful to hear that you are willing to give your sons to God. Besides, Spidey is celibate!

I still want to be James Bond, hence my vintage tuxedo collection.

peace...

I agree with some previous comments. The best way to increase vocations is to make the Priesthood honorable again in the eyes of young men. Another problem that I have recognized with friends who might otherwise be Priests--the permanent Diaconate. Most of the guys I talk to look at this 'solution' as the best of both worlds--they get to have a wife and kids while still helping at Mass (and without most of the sacrifices, but I think they are still required to say the Breviary, correct me if I am wrong). Also, this can certainly be said for Nuns as well. What woman would want to sacrifice her whole life of children, a family, etc, when she can do more as a layman liturgically than she could ever do as a Nun (e.g., Lector, Extraordinary Minister, etc). If we make these vocations a place of honor, as they once were, and treat them with proper honor and respect, we will certainly see an increase in vocations. Also, putting restrictions or putting an end to the "best of both worlds" options would help (we never had these things before the vocations crisis and there were many more vocations). God bless.

homeschoolmom

I don't think amerkich meant that kind of honor... more of a uniqueness... the idea that one can have one's cake and eat it too (have a family and still serve) is rather appealing these days.

Justified Saint

This does seem to be a problem. Our parish priest is leaving in June and the new one will be someone that is already serving another parish (apparently he has served 5 at a time before so I guess he will be up to the challenge).

Just have faith and don't worry about it; vocations will come and everything will be taken care of because God is in control.

[quote name='amarkich' date='Apr 27 2004, 04:04 PM'] I agree with some previous comments. The best way to increase vocations is to make the Priesthood honorable again in the eyes of young men. Another problem that I have recognized with friends who might otherwise be Priests--the permanent Diaconate. Most of the guys I talk to look at this 'solution' as the best of both worlds--they get to have a wife and kids while still helping at Mass (and without most of the sacrifices, but I think they are still required to say the Breviary, correct me if I am wrong). Also, this can certainly be said for Nuns as well. What woman would want to sacrifice her whole life of children, a family, etc, when she can do more as a layman liturgically than she could ever do as a Nun (e.g., Lector, Extraordinary Minister, etc). If we make these vocations a place of honor, as they once were, and treat them with proper honor and respect, we will certainly see an increase in vocations. Also, putting restrictions or putting an end to the "best of both worlds" options would help (we never had these things before the vocations crisis and there were many more vocations). God bless. [/quote]
[b]Word.[/b]

[quote name='M.SIGGA' date='Apr 29 2004, 02:18 PM'] Just have faith and don't worry about it; vocations will come and everything will be taken care of because God is in control. [/quote]
He will always provide :D hmm a vocation sounds nice... if only my parents were more open 2 it

tnsmittenkitten

[quote name='PedroX' date='Apr 27 2004, 09:27 AM']
I think some parishes should probably be closed, starting with the annoying suburban ones.  [/quote]
Speaking as someone whose "annoying suburban Parish" was closed after our 75 year old priest who ran 2 parishes died, closing a parish is really hard on people, even when necessary. Most of the people in my parish were 50+ in age, and had gone to that parish their whole lives. While we as Catholic are a universal family, there is something about worshiping as an adult with the same people who were there for you in your youth.

In large, mega churches, be it Catholic or protestant, sometimes people tend to feel like only a number, and that can lead to apathy or spiritual sloth. So automatically shutting down small churches is not necessarily the answer.

• 3 weeks later...

Our dioceses has 77 priests, and over 125 parishes. Closer parished are banning together, so we can cope with the priest shortage.

:( the topic poster... i just can't understand how such extreme flip flops happen so fast :(

anyway, hopefully my new program Altar Call will help combat the problem! the_rev , you could be part of the solution since you're the PR guy. If you get us on Life on the Rock you can come on too with me and confessionator. :cool:

let's try to collaborate and you can start this program at your diocese as well.

yeah, seeing those stats really made me realize how much this program truly is needed!

praying for vocations is the best. How did Jesus put it? ask the Lord of the Harvest to send more workers, or something like that.

Pax Amorque Christi

i'm gonna get a free server at catholic-church.com

do you mean use my server? or just have the 2 sites be bro and sis... hehehe.

sure thing, that's an awesome idea as well! priests always need prayers!

i grow more and more vocationally excited! :)

Pax Amorque Christi

I would prefer using your server? Would that be possible?

Or do you think your priest writing the letter would write a letter for the adopt a priest program?