An Old School Catholic Message Board

"charismatic Catholics" - Theology Debate

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1312823278' post='2283357']
This. The only label worth taking is "orthodox".
[/quote]
Same thing...i.e. orthodox label redundant

Vincent Vega

Debatable. This woman takes the Catholic label only. Is she orthodox?
[img]http://newsinabox.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Nancy-Pelosi-at-the-DPOC.jpg[/img]

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1312826463' post='2283378']
Debatable. This woman takes the Catholic label only. Is she orthodox?
[img]http://newsinabox.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Nancy-Pelosi-at-the-DPOC.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
I can only speak for myself. I don't know her heart. I suggest you ask her.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1312827509' post='2283385']
I can only speak for myself. I don't know her heart. I suggest you ask her.
[/quote]
No need to. And I don't know her heart either, but I do know her actions, and those speak for themselves.

ThePenciledOne

Labeling or not, Charismatic is more about a spirituality than a 'label' in my book as far as that may go.

And for those that don't like it, or don't think it 'goes very far' or whatever, then just allow those that do associate with it, reap the fruits that do come to fruition.

infinitelord1

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' timestamp='1312835733' post='2283451']
Labeling or not, Charismatic is more about a spirituality than a 'label' in my book as far as that may go.

And for those that don't like it, or don't think it 'goes very far' or whatever, then just allow those that do associate with it, reap the fruits that do come to fruition.
[/quote]
Do Charismatic Catholics always speak in tongues using an interpreter?

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1312838793' post='2283470']
Do Charismatic Catholics always speak in tongues using an interpreter?
[/quote]

No, in my experience that is only when the Gift of Tongues is given to the body.

There are prayer tongues, which are meant to help that individual express praise to the Father and are strictly personal to that person's spirituality. And this is of course only my rough understanding of what I have learned.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1312832174' post='2283414']
No need to. And I don't know her heart either, but I do know her actions, and those speak for themselves.
[/quote]
I'm not going to label myself in order to not be guilty by association.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1312841934' post='2283498']
I'm not going to label myself in order to not be guilty by association.
[/quote]
That's your prerogative.

infinitelord1

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' timestamp='1312838997' post='2283473']

No, in my experience that is only when the Gift of Tongues is given to the body.

There are prayer tongues, which are meant to help that individual express praise to the Father and are strictly personal to that person's spirituality. And this is of course only my rough understanding of what I have learned.
[/quote]

What does this verse mean to you and why?

[sup][size=3][1 Corinthians 14]- 26[/size][/sup] What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. [sup][size=3]27[/size][/sup] If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. [sup][size=3]28[/size][/sup] If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1312843794' post='2283534']

[sup][size=3][1 Corinthians 14]- 26[/size][/sup] What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. [sup][size=3]27[/size][/sup] If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. [sup][size=3]28[/size][/sup] If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.
[/quote]

It refers to the Gift of Tongues, since it is often accompanied by the Gift of Interpretation.

So what's your misunderstanding?

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1312842750' post='2283514']
That's your prerogative.
[/quote]
Thank you.

AudreyGrace

[quote name='infinitelord1' timestamp='1312843794' post='2283534']

[sup][size=3][1 Corinthians 14]- 26[/size][/sup] What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. [sup][size=3]27[/size][/sup] If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. [sup][size=3]28[/size][/sup][u] If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.[/u]
[/quote]

If I'm correct, your argument stems off of the underlined portion, right?

However, if someone receives the Gift of Tongues, that doesn't mean they run around the church like a chicken with its head cut off yelling things nobody else understands to seek attention from others. It seems like most people who are against the Charismatic movement view Charismatic Catholics this way- viewing them as obnoxious, boisterous, unruly, self-centered, and showy. And quite frankly, I'm sick of it. I define myself as charismatic. I have been to a fair share of Catholic charismatic events, and none of them have ever gone on the way that some people (usually those who look down upon charismatics while never actually witnessing their spirituality firsthand) talk about. Never have I seen people dancing around and doing jumping jacks, standing on chairs and speaking in tongues so everyone can hear them, riding their unicorn off the choir loft, etc.

The charismatic movement, at least to my understanding in a nutshell, is about being open to the gifts of the Holy Spirit. BG45 said something earlier along the lines of "if you deny the Holy Spirit, you deny the Trinity." Props to that. Believe it or not, one can be charismatic AND follow the Church. I think people forget that charismatics and traditionals are both Catholic. There's no reason to hate.

As for the emotions argument....you've got to be kidding me. I can easily say that trads are ruled by their emotions and personalities too. If one says that charismatics are ruled only by their emotions, then they're clearly not a charismatic nor have they gotten through their heads that being charismatic means being open to the [i]Holy Spirit[/i], being open to [i]God [/i]and centering our lives on how [i]He [/i]wants to work within us--it does [u]not [/u]mean praising God how [i]we [/i]want to because [i]we [/i]like it better, etc. But I digress.

The edit-- I'd just like to add that because [b]some [/b]charismatic groups (mostly those who aren't even Catholic) take it "too far" and show off what the Holy Spirit might have given them (the whole writhing on the floor, shouting made up tongues, and telling everyone about it, etc) does not mean that that's how the entire charismatic movement works. In my opinion, those groups have the concept wrong themselves. It's like saying the entire Church is horrible because some priests have molested children. It's not right.

Edited by AudreyGrace

AudreyGrace

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1312826463' post='2283378']
[/quote]

woof.

dominicansoul

the Holy Father has a charismatic as a household preacher ...that's good enuff for me to know the charismatic movement is not some sinister development set to destroy Holy Mother Church ...

...but like everything else, it can be abused beyond recognition of what it should be ...