Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Many Homeschoolers Are Here?


Are you a Homeschooler?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Ummm...I don't think I did! I think it was bumped up because someone voted :D

lil bull 04
Posted

i was for about a year and that was the year my mom passed away because we traveled to and from Illinois from Michigan alot.

Posted

I was homeschooled from 4th grade until graduation last year. w00t! ^_^

Livin_the_MASS
Posted

I am a dad so this thread does not apply to me :P bye thread :P

Archangel Raphael
Posted

Homeschooled since 1st grade, and now I help teach my brothers :huh:

Posted

I've been homeschooled since Kindergarden and Im now a freshman in highschool. I've never been to a public high school before :).....its crazy

Posted

It's not that great...really. Elementary school was ok (but then again I was "popular") and I've been in the highschool atmosphere many times. Homeschooling is way better... ^_^

ilovechrist
Posted

[quote name='Moosey' date='May 23 2004, 04:30 PM'] I've been homeschooled since Kindergarden and Im now a freshman in highschool. I've never been to a public high school before :).....its crazy [/quote]
nice.

as i said before, i'm 1st-Soph. just finishing up 10th, and looking forward to the next one.i like azaelia's comment--public school isn't all that great once you get into it.. course how the heck would i know.. lol. i LOVE my homeschooling.

Posted

All kids should go to school. You miss out on so much, like lifeskills and stuff like that.

Archangel Raphael
Posted

[quote name='Phazzan' date='May 23 2004, 11:37 PM'] All kids should go to school. You miss out on so much, like lifeskills and stuff like that. [/quote]
Yea your right.. drugs, sex, guns, oh yea and possible death.

Posted

[quote name='Archangel Raphael' date='May 23 2004, 11:43 PM'] Yea your right.. drugs, sex, guns, oh yea and possible death. [/quote]
Well if you're going to be like that, you might as well lock yourself in a room with only a Bible and Cross. :wacko:

Archangel Raphael
Posted

I dunno about that, I've been homeschooled all my life and didn't miss a darn thing in lifeskills. And no I'm not a social misfit either as the lie usually goes hehe.

Posted

[quote name='Archangel Raphael' date='May 24 2004, 12:11 AM'] I dunno about that, I've been homeschooled all my life and didn't miss a darn thing in lifeskills. And no I'm not a social misfit either as the lie usually goes hehe. [/quote]
Of course you missed out. You probably wont realise this until you meet the real world and wont have a clue what to do.

Archangel Raphael
Posted

Meet the real world? Oh boy you just don't know me do you :lol:

Hey don't get me started dude hehe. I've ministered to people one on one and in groups, I've spoken and given my testimony to crowds, not to mention I've been in everything from taekwondo to chior and such. I know very well how to deal with people.

Posted

[quote name='Archangel Raphael' date='May 24 2004, 01:15 AM'] Meet the real world? Oh boy you just don't know me do you :lol:

Hey don't get me started dude hehe. I've ministered to people one on one and in groups, I've spoken and given my testimony to crowds, not to mention I've been in everything from taekwondo to chior and such. I know very well how to deal with people. [/quote]
Dude, all I'm saying is that those who miss out on school, miss out on a very important part of life. It's plain obvious. I don't buy homeschooling, I think it's a ridiculous idea. Catholic parents trying to protect their children from the evil forces of the world would be better off teaching their kids how to deal with these situations effectively rather than just cutting them off from the world.

Archangel Raphael
Posted

[quote name='Phazzan' date='May 24 2004, 02:43 AM']Dude, all I'm saying is that those who miss out on school, miss out on a very important part of life.  It's plain obvious.  I don't buy homeschooling, I think it's a ridiculous idea.  Catholic parents trying to protect their children from the evil forces of the world would be better off teaching their kids how to deal with these situations effectively rather than just cutting them off from the world.[/quote]
It's a proven fact that those who do homeschooling also become closer with their family instead of always being out with their friends. Yes having friends is great, but family is also more important. If I wasn't homeschooled I wouldn't be as close with my brothers as I am now, we're practically eachother's best friend. And yea kids who don't go to public school really miss out. They miss out on the teachers teaching about Adam and Steve and their son and their little dog and their lovely happy family (for those who don't get what I'm talking about homosexual marriages) and saying it is natural. They miss being taught sex education and homosexuality at ungodly young ages. And they miss the teachers just pumping children with retilin (sp?) to keep them sitting down and not bother with dealing with the real problem. So instead they stun their physical growth in the process. The children miss being taught like clones, the teacher teaching things one way when it has been proven every single person learns in different ways. Some people are hands on, some people do better in books, and many more. They miss out on being taught evolution is FACT, and that Creationizm is just a crazy idea thought up from the Bible. They miss having Bibles pushed out of school but yet allowing Harry Potter to be forced upon them. And you know, whether it be public school, private school, or even Catholic school, there is always something. I know someone who goes to a Catholic school in Canada and sadly some of them are no different than public schools. You still got the gays and drug addicts and sex addicts all around somewhere.

And yes we aren't to run away like babies from troubled times, but we aren't also suppose to always be socializing with that stuff in the process. You are who you accociate with. The more filth you are around, the more it will begin to effect you. There are other ways of teaching your children about some of the horrid things in this world instead of throwing them out into it. Are you gonna throw your children into a lions den so they can learn that lions will eat people? That's pretty much what you're implying. You fail to look at this in the spiritual sense. I'm not against public, private, Catholic, or whatever schooling. I just tend to get a bit defensive when people think the only way to know evil is out there, is to experiance it. That isn't always the case. I learned much about homosexuality, the evolution theory, and most importantly, I've learned SPIRITUAL teachings from my parents as well since they were involved with my schooling. It says so in the Word the father is the high priest of his household. And it is the responsiblity of the parents to bring up their children to be Godly. And it's hard to do that when half of the day they are out somewhere else, where if they were at home, you can be teaching them while bringing them up in the ways of the Lord.

I can go on and on with this.

homeschoolmom
Posted

[quote name='Phazzan' date='May 24 2004, 02:38 AM'] bla bla bla bla [/quote]
That's such a persuasive argument, Phazzan. It's so well thought out and articulated.

Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='May 24 2004, 08:27 AM'] That's such a persuasive argument, Phazzan. It's so well thought out and articulated. [/quote]
I would have to agree.

Phazzan, I take offence to your statements.

Posted

[quote name='Phazzan' date='May 24 2004, 12:37 AM'] All kids should go to school. You miss out on so much, like lifeskills and stuff like that. [/quote]
I have friends, I socialize. I go out every weekend. I've been to dances. I'm homeschooled.

I've met some of these public school kids who have so-called "life skills". I can't get two words out of them. Your definition of "life-skills" is what I define as snobbery. Most of them are scared to death of anything outside their bubble. I'm not saying they're all like that. That would make me like you. I'm saying that it seems that public school can't do a single thing for these particular kids in the realm os social skills. They scoailize with their circle of friends. That's it.

I was on the Maine Diocesan Council for Catholic Youth for 2002-2003. The MDCCY is a group comprized of four youth from each of the four regions of Maine who meet once a month to plan, organize and execute the statewide and regional youth events. What's more, I was chosen by other youth to be on this board. [b]Public school kids[/b] chose me to represent them, and teh reasons they gave me were that I was articulate, outgoing, and charismatic. Do those count as "lif-skills"? I spent months and many hours of time with these people planning events that take alot of time and energy to do. I stood up on stage and spoke to thousands of youth, from text I wrote myself, and had absolutely no problem with it. Completely on my own I created and presented a PowerPoint dedication at our annual Convention in Portland, ME, and event which drew in a crowd of 900. And I wasn't the only homeschooler on the Board. There were two others besides me. And we were among the most active on Board. Don't you dare say that I missed out on "life-skills". I probably gained more "life-skills" being homeschooled than most other public school kid I've ever known.

[must breathe...]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...