An Old School Catholic Message Board

Have You Ever Felt Confused?

OnlySunshine

Confusion  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TeresaBenedicta

Looking back at my entire discernment experience, I think that the times that I was most "confused" were the times when I was not trusting God. I was impatient, like a little child, who wanted to know [i]now[/i]! But once I settled down, focused on Jesus and growing closer to Him, and letting Him work in His own time... I was no longer confused. Granted, I [i]still[/i] didn't know, necessarily. But I was at peace with not knowing, trusting that God would make it clear when He so wanted. Once I was able to abandon myself into His loving arms in the here and now... the future didn't worry me so much. And once that happened, the future made itself clear.

One thing that has continued to present itself is the order that I applied to and ended discernment with back in 2009. The thought continues to arise in my mind of whether or not I should contact them again and ask permission for a second chance. So much has changed in these last 2 years and it makes me wonder if I would be able to persevere this time since I am back on my medication. I was not on the medicine the first time and things were very stressful for me. Even my nurse practitioner said when I returned last year that she believed I would return because she believed I had a chemical imbalance (which is the 2nd time I'd heard it).

This is definitely something I cannot take lightly. I don't know if I have the courage to contact them again. I haven't heard from the Provincial Superior since I emailed her to tell her that I was repaying the amount for the airfare in January 2010. If only I had a spiritual director. Maybe I should talk to my Catholic therapist when I see her again on September 14th.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1314749564' post='2297728']

You might look at the Religious Sisters of Mercy. Many of the Sisters are medical doctors and your love of math and science would be put to good use there. :)
[/quote]
You are the third person to tell me that I should look into the Religious Sisters of Mercy! I've met a couple of the Sisters and I've e-mailed the VD!

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1314854055' post='2298511']
You are the third person to tell me that I should look into the Religious Sisters of Mercy! I've met a couple of the Sisters and I've e-mailed the VD!
[/quote]

Ooooo! It must be the Holy Spirit telling you something. :hehe:

Sometimes you don't feel as if you're confused, but others can spot it right away. It's almost as if "I'm confused!" is lit up on your forehead in neon lights. Perhaps my training in psychology and spiritual direction is rearing it's head up here, but I'm convinced one has a tendency to attribute (or deny the reality of) confusion to other things.....I'm confused because I haven't had my coffee this morning; because I need to eat and haven't had a bite since last night; because I'm too busy to be confused; because I'm just a bit worried, certainly not confused, etc. I'm not confused because I'm too busy keeping all the balls in the air; because if I was confused, I'd surely realize it and do something about it;, etc. Confusion is often just like dysfunctional families, it takes others to gently (or somethings not so gently) related what appears to be the problem.

I've had my bouts of confusion in all areas of my life over the years. It's always made me step back and reexamine the situation and my reaction/s to it. Having a close personal friend and/or spiritual director is a great way to sort out whether its true confusion, a denial mechanism, or something else.

[size=2][i]O Sacrament Most Holy, O Sacrament Divine, All Praise and all Thanksgiving, Be Every Moment Thine.[/i][/size]

It says online that "confused" can mean "lacking logical order or sense." I'd say I'm very much in my head and I'm a planner, so confusion doesn't happen so much as uncertainty, worries, doubts, dry times, up times, etc.

It puts me in a very uncomfortable place in having to wait and see if an Order is open to my health issues, and in having to consider this in discerning Orders. But, it also helps me because as someone said it's like a "tool" in finding what Order you may be called to.

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1314906013' post='2298759']
It says online that "confused" can mean "lacking logical order or sense." I'd say I'm very much in my head and I'm a planner, so confusion doesn't happen so much as uncertainty, worries, doubts, dry times, up times, etc.

It puts me in a very uncomfortable place in having to wait and see if an Order is open to my health issues, and in having to consider this in discerning Orders. But, it also helps me because as someone said it's like a "tool" in finding what Order you may be called to.
[/quote]

Yeah, I probably didn't word the title properly. I probably should have said, "Have you ever felt doubtful?" not confused. I think it makes me feel better knowing there are other women on medication who are trying to discern. I don't feel as alone as I used to now that I know this. ;)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1314912277' post='2298814']

Yeah, I probably didn't word the title properly. I probably should have said, "Have you ever felt doubtful?" not confused. I think it makes me feel better knowing there are other women on medication who are trying to discern. I don't feel as alone as I used to now that I know this. ;)
[/quote]

But doubts and confusion are very different. Before entering Q I was confused [i]and[/i] I had some doubts. Since I was sent away I have had absolutely no doubts whatsoever, but I've been very, very confused!

Apparently Francis Clare doubts me.

Ouch! I don't doubt you :) I'd really have to know you personally (and know you quite well) to doubt you.!