An Old School Catholic Message Board

Leaving Mentally Ill Loved Ones Behind.

emi77

• 2 months later...

I know I haven't posted for a while, but things in my family situation took a turn for the worse. My Mother attempted suicide, and although she is stable I am very worried for the future. I am trying to trust in God's Divine Justice, Mercy and His plan, but I feel so lost and helpless. My cross props me up and drags me along, rather than me carrying it. Please pray for my Mother.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='emi77' timestamp='1322906184' post='2344019']
I know I haven't posted for a while, but things in my family situation took a turn for the worse. My Mother attempted suicide, and although she is stable I am very worried for the future. I am trying to trust in God's Divine Justice, Mercy and His plan, but I feel so lost and helpless. My cross props me up and drags me along, rather than me carrying it. Please pray for my Mother.
[/quote]

This really is a difficult time for you. Hold tighter than ever before to God's love and He will see you through this darkness. Our prayers are with you. :pray:

Prayers for you. I can, to some degree, identify as I am a carer for a member of my family. I know how worrying and difficult it can be. :(

Oh, emi, I am praying for you and your family. May you feel his embrace even through this really dark time. Mother Mary, just as you trusted in the Lord's plan during your flight to Egypt, help Emi to find her rest in your Son. St. Joseph, protector of Jesus and Mary, pray for Emi's mom.

Psalm 86 is my favorite thing to pray when I just don't feel like there's any light at the end of the tunnel.

brandelynmarie

Peace be with you Emi & your mom & your family. :pray: :amen:

May St. Michael Archangel & St. Raphael Archangel be with you all.

Edited by brandelynmarie

MarysLittleFlower

I'm so sorry..I am adding my prayers as well. I know it must be difficult to trust God despite all this but try to trust Him, because He already knows the path that He is leading you on. I have similar concerns with my family as well, though not relating to mental illness, but I often worry how my discernment might affect them and if God could even call me to religious life in my situation.

I think in time, God makes things like that clear. Prayers for you :)

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1316825251' post='2309082']
I took in a friend after she became disabled from a job injury, got divorced due to her husband moving in with her best friend while she was in the hospital, had a mental break down and was homeless after getting kicked out of a group home. She had a 6 month old and a 3 year old. They were headed to foster care, and I just couldn't let that happen, so I took them all in. She spent the next 15 years in and out of hospitals, on and off the wagon from alcohol and prescription drugs. About the only drugs she didn't like were her psychiatric drugs. She also had two neck, one hip, one shoulder, and one knee surgery. As her oldest got close to graduating from high school, I talked very frankly to him. When he turned 18, he would become his mom's official next of kin, and he'd start getting those phone calls from hospitals and police instead of me. I told him to get out, to get as far away as he could, and make the best life for himself that he could. He left for the Navy while only 17.

Kids aren't supposed to be responsible for their parents, it is supposed to be the other way around. That stuff about honoring your father and mother assumes that they are "honorable" meaning entitled or worthy of that honor. My foster son's mom really wasn't, so it made it an easier decision for him. It doesn't sound like your parents are quite the same, so it does make your decision harder. St. Francis and St. Clare both turned their backs on their parents to follow God's will. You will have to do some serious work with a spiritual director in order to discern what that might be for you. You may want to investigate 3rd orders or even consecrated virginity which are things that those responsible for dependents can follow.
[/quote]

Wow. You are one great Catholic.

Of course I'll be praying. This must be an incredibly difficult time for you, but the Lord will come to your aid. It's easy for me to say just trust Him, but I think that's the best thing you can do.