An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bathing Customs In Communities

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1317217413' post='2311633']
To bring it back on topic, you can purchase soap here that has za'atar or olive oil in it...

By the way, since this evening is Erev Rosh Hashanah, may all phatmassers be inscribed and sealed in the Book of Life for a healthy, happy, and prosperous New Year.

I will write this blessing also in Hebrew, but it might not come through.

חתימה טובה לשנה של בריאות, אושר ופרנסה.
[/quote]

Thanks for the blessing! I miss living in a place where Rosh Hashanah was more heavily celebrated.

:offtopic:

[/quote]

[size=5]! שנה טובה ומתוקה[/size]

[size="4"][size=4]I really would like to learn ivrit.... My old testament hebrew is quite good, but [i]one day[/i] I really would like to learn ivrit and travel to Israel... *dreams* [/size] :woot: [/size]

I don't know how to send a PM.

Juchu, if you can read Biblical Hebrew, anyone in Israel could understand you -- although you'd sound like a time traveler from Shakepeare's time in the 21st century!

Back to the "regularly scheduled programming": life in the convent sounds a lot like nursing school dorm life [without the prayers, except maybe right before exams :smile4: when we prayed [i]endlessly[/i] ] back in the Sixties. We had to queue for showers, keep curfew, had uniform inspection weekly, could only use the pay phones for outgoing calls between certain hours [other times were kept for incoming calls] and no calls could be longer than 10 minutes... we could have visitors in the ground floor "parlor" which had open cubicles for a tiny amount of privacy, but the house mother made sure that everyone's feet were on the ground all the time...

brandelynmarie

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1317222917' post='2311682']
:offtopic:

I have enjoyed reading everything though! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Just a reminder my dear VSers, it's ok to go off topic in this thread. I am enjoying it all so much :blush: .

brandelynmarie

Heavens to betsy! I go away for 8 hours (to sleep!) & I come back to all of this :smile3: .

To bring it back on topic, you can purchase soap here that has za'atar or olive oil in it...

By the way, since this evening is Erev Rosh Hashanah, may all phatmassers be inscribed and sealed in the Book of Life for a healthy, happy, and prosperous New Year.

I will write this blessing also in Hebrew, but it might not come through.

[/quote]

Thank you for the blessing! :blush:

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1317217607' post='2311634']

How is this in topic for the thread of bathing customs in religious life? :think:
[/quote]

Well, it all started with my Psalm quote about hyssop :topsy: .

[quote name='maximillion' timestamp='1317230126' post='2311740']
How I LOVE this thread!!!!!

Okay, to whomever it was who asked if I got used to the 25cm of hot water in the bottom of the tub - well, you get used to anything eventually. What was harder was the thin curtain round the bath and the proximity of the next bather........sounds, warts and all. :hehe2:
Managing a voluminous habit on one small kitchen chair when one undressed, then the towel ( far too small ) then the clean voluminous habit, all the time one's damp body kept getting entangled in the dratted curtains. I was for pulling them down and us bathing au pleine air so to speak.

Right, so at the risk of doing a total :nono: here's the next question.
Personal Products.....Sanitary Protection.
We had washable re-usable terry cotton nappy (diaper) type things. Terribly bulky, uncomfortable and not really all the absorbent. Had we not been enclosed and able to manage this situation I Don't know what we would have done.
I dread to think of the cost of providing all those Nashies with SP.........
What is/are other's experiences?
[/quote]

Max, it was me wondering about the 25cm of hot water. :wave:

brandelynmarie

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1317227627' post='2311720']
I'm having a hard time with emoticons. I never memorized the Codes, so I haven't been using emoticons very much. As a result, I had no emoticon to show that this post was not meant to be overly serious or a correction. (Nunsense--I think (hope) you know how much I love you.)
[/quote]

I have a theory that the little critters move around in the list on their own & sometimes they disappear! But that is just a theory... :rolleyes:

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317230989' post='2311748']
The postulant mistress at one community I aspired with made me laugh. I asked her what we were allowed, and she said there were both towels and tampons in the cupboard and we helped ourselves. I told her I had been afraid of using the huge towels my mothet had always used and she looked me straight in the eye and said 'No, they were far, far worse!!' (like Max mentioned). She then told me that she had entered as a young divorcee and after about 4 months her postulant mistress asked if she was okay because she was never asking for towels. Turned out she had taken at least 2yrs supply of tampons with her! That sparked community discussion which led to them being allowable!

At Q it was easy - a selection of various types were available in the bathrooms for you to help yourself as you needed them.
[/quote]

I am [u]relieved[/u] to hear all of this since I need to use both for several days. (Must make note of bringing a 2 year supply of tampons, lol.)

[quote name='Aya Sophia' timestamp='1317231230' post='2311749']
Ok, if there ever [u]was[/u] one guy following this thread he's gone now! :pinch:
[/quote]
rotfl I almost said my dear [b]sisters [/b]above instead of my dear VSers, but thought better of it since their may have been that one guy following it. Oh my!

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317231689' post='2311754']
Im hoping to introcuce NH to the wonder of the Mooncup!
[/quote]

I have heard of these...do they work well?

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317238552' post='2311803']

I have heard of these...do they work well?
[/quote]

Yes, very well. They do take a bit of getting used to, but I've used one for about 8yrs now and love it!

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317231689' post='2311754']
Im hoping to introcuce NH to the wonder of the Mooncup!
[/quote]

That's actually quite a good idea. It would save money in the long run since you sanitize it and it is reusable. ;)

As for me, I'm hopeful that the community I eventually enter (God-willing) will be sensitive to the fact that I cannot use conventional tampons. I usually by stuff by Natracare. Pads don't seem to pose a problem anymore, but tampons do. :blush:

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

This reminds me of the VERY old thread from 2009:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/93433-unusual-personal-hygiene-practices/"]Unusual Personal Hygiene Practices[/url]

brandelynmarie

Wow...that thread was something else! Any other topics I could [b][i]possibly[/i][/b] think of to discuss...I believe have been thouroughly covered over there. :proud:

That's not to say someone else couldn't! :hehe:

My question for discussion is are the nuns (as in cloistered nuns) allowed to play sports in the various orders/communities? Cuz I love playing sports. And that would really be one of the biggest sacrifices I would be making if I couldn't play sports. Like can the novices go outside and play Ultimate or touch football for recreation? Or the professed nuns?

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1317256366' post='2311961']
My question for discussion is are the nuns (as in cloistered nuns) allowed to play sports in the various orders/communities? Cuz I love playing sports. And that would really be one of the biggest sacrifices I would be making if I couldn't play sports. Like can the novices go outside and play Ultimate or touch football for recreation? Or the professed nuns?
[/quote]

I know the Summit Dominicans have the novitiate take recreation outdoors rather often.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRrTf_EoMiU[/media]

brandelynmarie

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idkVgTPVIIA[/media]

Video, described as:
I kicked off the pre-WYD pilgrimage by joining the IVE-SSVM in Oviedo, the provincial capital of Asturias in Spain. For rec time, among various sports going on, we played Ultimate in the courtyard of the seminary in which we stayed.
- FAITH Magazine coverage of World Youth Day 2011

Not cloistered, but still fun to watch!

Edited by brandelynmarie