An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bathing Customs In Communities

brandelynmarie

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317026717' post='2310387']

I've never heard of someone taking their bed with them to a convent. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable asking, though, it would be interesting to hear what they would say. I'd have to rent a U-Haul in order to get it to Michigan. :hehe:
[/quote]

It was a first for me as well. But then she had a futon, so could roll it up and put it in the back of her car along with her other possessions. She didn't have to fly anyway as the drive was only a few hours.

The one that surprised me the most was a friend who was allowed to take her little dog with her into the convent! Now that one was a first for me too!

brandelynmarie

I always thought I would ask Mother if the community needed anything that I owned & go from there. Especially books. :bible: Now my :kitten: I :idontknow: . But I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I would worry about anyone taking her in because she is an older kitty. God bless her, Mici Angelica Marie :blowkiss: .

Edited by brandelynmarie

AccountDeleted

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317027649' post='2310392']
I always thought I would ask Mother if the community needed anything that I owned & go from there. Especially books. :bible: Now my :kitten: I :idontknow: . But I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I would worry about anyone taking her in because she is an older kitty. God bless her, Mici Angelica Marie :blowkiss: .
[/quote]

I would love to have a pet right now but I couldn't bear the idea of giving it up at some time in the future. I think pets are one of the hardest things to give up - because they can't understand why you have to do it! :sad:

We had a strip wash in cold water on a daily basis and were allocated 25cm of hot water in a bath once a week. (Enclosed Contemplative/Sacred Heart order in France), and I am speaking of 1982.

brandelynmarie

Oh! Like 25cm of hot water in a tub? I had first read that as 25ml & I thought, well that's not gonna help anything! Did you ever get used to it?

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Aya Sophia' timestamp='1317045390' post='2310429']
This "bathing" thread is now as long as a convent bath or shower is short! :hehe2:
[/quote]

:lol4: And here I was afraid to start it! I figured most responses would be as follows: :| :huh: :rolleyes: <_< :wacko: :idontknow: :nono: :twitch: :blink: :shock: or even :yawn: :sleep2: .

brandelynmarie

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317026717' post='2310387']

I've never heard of someone taking their bed with them to a convent. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable asking, though, it would be interesting to hear what they would say. I'd have to rent a U-Haul in order to get it to Michigan. :hehe:
[/quote]

I highly doubt a 4-poster cherry wood queen-sized bed would be an acceptable bring-along item :princess: . However I thought maybe my sister would like it. :)

I'm enjoying see all the data coming in - frankly, am afraid to add mine for fear of putting anyone off! Some things it may just be better not to know before entering! :noevil:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Aya Sophia' timestamp='1317062896' post='2310520']
I'm enjoying see all the data coming in - frankly, am afraid to add mine for fear of putting anyone off! Some things it may just be better not to know before entering! :noevil:
[/quote]

True.

Most of these types of things... I've never even considered asking. In fact... I don't think I really ever asked questions outside of apostolate/charism, save about family and frequency of contact. Everything else? Eh, I'll figure it out eventually! In fact, I'm learning a lot by living with 'em.

My bed was a super-king so wouldn't have been the done thing (though even that would have disapperared in the HUGE cell I had when I first entered!) but I was actually asked to bring my own duvet and pillows. I will be asking if I can do the same here (if, please God, it all works out) as they are special anti-allergy ones.

Actually it was quite funny when I first entererd. My cell was massive, and the bed was a huge iron-framed hospital style bed. I have long legs and could climb onto it okay, but one sister told me she had a little step when she had that cell! Also, the floor was so uneven that while I went to bed against a wall every night, I invariably woke up somewhere in the middle of the room. I managed to resolve that by getting permission to move the furnature round so I could jam it flat against the short wall with my cabinate at one end and a doorstop at the other.

brandelynmarie

See? You have that wonderful benefit of being with them! Trust me, whatever bathing customs/practices a community has will have no bearing on my discernment. I tend to have a very inquisitive mind & enjoy reading all of these postings. 'Tis great fun! I'd give you props TB, but I seem to have run out of 'em for the day...funny that. :huh:

brandelynmarie

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1317063301' post='2310524']
My bed was a super-king so wouldn't have been the done thing (though even that would have disapperared in the HUGE cell I had when I first entered!) but I was actually asked to bring my own duvet and pillows. I will be asking if I can do the same here (if, please God, it all works out) as they are special anti-allergy ones.

Actually it was quite funny when I first entererd. My cell was massive, and the bed was a huge iron-framed hospital style bed. I have long legs and could climb onto it okay, but one sister told me she had a little step when she had that cell! Also, the floor was so uneven that while I went to bed against a wall every night, I invariably woke up somewhere in the middle of the room. I managed to resolve that by getting permission to move the furnature round so I could jam it flat against the short wall with my cabinate at one end and a doorstop at the other.
[/quote]

Oh my goodness! A doorstop for the bed?! :hehe: I guess you never know what you are gonna run into with your cell :).

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317062737' post='2310519']

I highly doubt a 4-poster cherry wood queen-sized bed would be an acceptable bring-along item :princess: . However I thought maybe my sister would like it. :)
[/quote]

Well, then your sister would be highly disappointed since my bed is a twin bed with no headboard or footboard. :hehe: