An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bathing Customs In Communities

brandelynmarie

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1317001066' post='2310194']

I've also wanted a try... however; if being sick is your ticket into the tub... I'll wait my turn :)
[/quote]

Well, my joints are already starting to ache, but then all the bending and lifting don't help. I still have a few years to go though because our oldest resident is 101!

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1317001014' post='2310193']

We have the same thing at the hostel where I work. This lovely chair lifts them up and puts them into the tub and then they soak in the spa jets to soothe their poor joints. Sometimes I wish I could crawl in there and have a go! :lol:
[/quote]

We had something like that in the shower room at the nursing home I used to work at. I don't think anyone uses them anymore. I never once saw anyone in them.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317006714' post='2310268']

We had something like that in the shower room at the nursing home I used to work at. I don't think anyone uses them anymore. I never once saw anyone in them.
[/quote]

Maybe every convent should have one to use at the end of the long day? :P

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1317015588' post='2310326']

Maybe every convent should have one to use at the end of the long day? :P
[/quote]

rotfl

Wouldn't that be something. I can just imagine a Sister saying, "We take the vow of poverty but we bought a jacuzzi." :blink:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317017690' post='2310337']

rotfl

Wouldn't that be something. I can just imagine a Sister saying, "We take the vow of poverty but we bought a jacuzzi." :blink:
[/quote]

Probably depends on the community. I knew one woman who took her mattress and doona to the convent and another woman who took her dog. I don't see why taking one's spa bath would be so bad :P :lol: - for health reasons of course!

But I doubt the Carmelites would agree to this.... :lol4: I'll have to ask the Benedictines. But, of course, I can't afford to by one, so they'll have to buy it for me! Would that be too forward, do you think :idontknow:

brandelynmarie

There used to be a house near me with a satellite dish...& an outhouse! "Gee honey, we get 3,000 channels but we don't have indoor plumbing!" :hehe2:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317018091' post='2310342']
Hey what are you guys still doing up?
[/quote]

Who, me? It's only 4.20pm here....

brandelynmarie

it's 0226 here.I work nights & since I'm on vacay I am slightly insomnia'ed. :rolleyes: I hope to readjust my schedule at some point but tonight is not looking too good, lol.

Edited by brandelynmarie

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1317018002' post='2310340']

Probably depends on the community. I knew one woman who took her mattress and doona to the convent and another woman who took her dog. I don't see why taking one's spa bath would be so bad :P :lol: - for health reasons of course!

But I doubt the Carmelites would agree to this.... :lol4: I'll have to ask the Benedictines. But, of course, I can't afford to by one, so they'll have to buy it for me! Would that be too forward, do you think :idontknow:
[/quote]

No...not forward at all. :|

They'd probably give you a look like :huh: :wacko: :getaclue: :boink: :bash: :rules:

rotfl

I'd love to take my mattress to the convent, though. It's a Sealy Posturepedic and is super comfy! It's the most comfortable bed I've ever had. I bought it last year right after I started my work as a CNA for $800. It was worth every penny. ;)

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317018014' post='2310341']
There used to be a house near me with a satellite dish...& an outhouse! "Gee honey, we get 3,000 channels but we don't have indoor plumbing!" :hehe2:
[/quote]

rotfl

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317018091' post='2310342']
Hey what are you guys still doing up?
[/quote]

Major insomniac here. My parents were out of town this past week and I was up all night every night. :sleep:

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1317023898' post='2310376']

I'd love to take my mattress to the convent, though. It's a Sealy Posturepedic and is super comfy! It's the most comfortable bed I've ever had. I bought it last year right after I started my work as a CNA for $800. It was worth every penny. ;)

[/quote]

It might be something you should discuss with the Superior. I was really surprised when my friend told me she had taken hers with her (and her doona (quilt) but it makes sense if the community doesn't have restrictions about it. The Carmelites of KE, for example, sleep on straw filled mattresses still, so they would probably say 'no', but my friend entered a Dominican teaching community and they had no problem with it - probably figured she would need a good night sleep to teach! Doesn't hurt to ask. This isn't a bathing response - it's a bedding one, so I hope we aren't hijacking this thread :hijack: :shock:

AccountDeleted

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317026384' post='2310384']
Bedding, washing habits, bathing it's all good :) .
[/quote]

:) Great news!! :)

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1317024166' post='2310377']

It might be something you should discuss with the Superior. I was really surprised when my friend told me she had taken hers with her (and her doona (quilt) but it makes sense if the community doesn't have restrictions about it. The Carmelites of KE, for example, sleep on straw filled mattresses still, so they would probably say 'no', but my friend entered a Dominican teaching community and they had no problem with it - probably figured she would need a good night sleep to teach! Doesn't hurt to ask. This isn't a bathing response - it's a bedding one, so I hope we aren't hijacking this thread :hijack: :shock:
[/quote]

I've never heard of someone taking their bed with them to a convent. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable asking, though, it would be interesting to hear what they would say. I'd have to rent a U-Haul in order to get it to Michigan. :hehe: