An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is It Like To Be An Aspirant?

brandelynmarie

brandelynmarie

I would like to hear some stories of what it is like to be an aspirant. How long were you there? (For those of you who work, was it hard to get the time off?) How much did you participate in community life? What was it like being at the Divine Office? What sort of things did you find confusing or funny? :) Thanks pham.

brandelynmarie

Ok. Let me rephrase one question. What was it like being at the DO with the community for the first time? :blush:

HopefulBride

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317895424' post='2316013']
Ok. Let me rephrase one question. What was it like being at the DO with the community for the first time? :blush:
[/quote]

I started to answer the question but then got stuck at DO....

My first visit to the monastery lasted a month. It wasn't hard to get the time off - don't tell anyone but I had been buttering up the new boss for weeks in order to have him give me the extra holiday! - but all I said was that I was travelling and staying at a monastery, not that I wanted to be a nun. It was kind of a 'crunchy' place so they might have been more open to strange travels than other kinds of job.

The sisterhood was very open and I did almost everything, from 5 a.m. Matins to milking goats in the dark after Compline! The only things expressly not allowed were going to the daily house meeting (I guess you would call it Chapter?) or going upstairs to the nuns' quarters. Being at the Hours was really nice actually, occasionally I got restless because I'd stood in the same place, and heard the same introductory prayers, X times already that day. But overall it was one of the defining things why I loved the place and what I miss most being 'out here'.

It was difficult at first to remember the various cues for things during the services. The hymns and psalms etc. were familiar, but at points they'd all cross themselves, or get down on the floor. At the last service of the day they would line up in order of seniority and go round the entire chapel venerating all the icons and then ask forgiveness of each other and get the abbess's blessing. I'd read about that but had no idea how it was done. It was awkward! Now I like the little customs peculiar to each community, and the good thing is nobody expects you to know them, but I was glad to be standing at the back of the chapel most of the time!

Just curious, why do you ask? Are you planning to visit somewhere?

FutureSister2009

Now there is a difference between an aspirant and a postulant correct? As an aspirant you're only there temporarily and as a Postulant you've begun your formation already right? I know that is a dumb question but I want to make sure I got it right

HopefulBride

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1317909999' post='2316078']
Now there is a difference between an aspirant and a postulant correct? As an aspirant you're only there temporarily and as a Postulant you've begun your formation already right? I know that is a dumb question but I want to make sure I got it right
[/quote]

Yes there is. Some communities, you do the Aspirancy for a couple of weeks or month (depending) and then go home to prepare for postulancy, this was the case for a friend of mine who entered at Covington (that may be months later or even a year or more) Other communities like (the SMMCs, and the NDs) you are considered an aspirant the first two or so months and then you begin your Postulancy. The SMMCs actually have the Aspirancy last until October (you are not called sister then) and then they have a small private ceremony when you receive your little veil and are referred to as Sr (your first name)

Not sure of the specifics of other communities.

Hope this helped,
HB

Edited by HopefulBride

HB is right.

For example, in the 1st community that I entered, aspirancy was 3 months. You entered postulancy directly from aspirancy.

In the 2nd community, the "aspirancy" period was called an experience. You were there for a few weeks (maybe 3?). Afterwards, you went home for a week or so and if you had decided you would return you would come back (with the items on the clothing list). After all of the "aspirants"/candidates returned, a few days later the postulancy entrance occurred.

In both cases -- you wore distinctive clothing after you entered postulancy. Beforehand regular clothing was worn (1st community was very specific about clothing during this period -- 2nd community you did the experience as you are).

In my case with respect to the 2nd community, since I had travelled from a different continent I stayed with the sisters while waiting for everyone else to return. (Note that I had done two prior experiences, but I was asked to do another just to join "the group". The experience serves to help create the bond that there is in a class)

Oh and one more thing ... as a postulant, more is expected from you than as a aspirant. Sure -- you can be assigned jobs, etc. but the expectation is lower. As a postulant, you're expected to start becoming a nun (although you're not a novice). You'll have classes, and minor responsabilities/chores. Prayer of course is a focus.

As an aspirant -- you're more of a visitor of a sort. Much less so as a postulant, because as a postulant you take an initial step into religious life.

Finally, when applying to religious communities they are interested if you entered postulancy, although it is not taken in the same consideration as if you entered the novitiate or took on vows. I suspect that if you said "I was an aspirant but I didn't enter postulancy" it is taken into lighter consideration (it is really a trying out period).

At age 16 I did a 1 year aspirancy, after that was completed we were required to wait a mandatory 6 months before we could enter the Postulancy. As aspirants we were treated exactly the same as the postulants, - discipline, work schedules, prayer, recreation, reading at mealtimes, Grand Silence - the lot. The only difference appeared to be our 'dress', the aspirants wore a blue skirt and blouse, the postulants had the black dress, cape and veil. It was really a very easy transition from Aspirant to Postulant, but that was pre-Vat 2.(just). Things changed a lot after Vat 2, and the difference between the two groups became more obvious and much wider. The aspirants almost became like 'guests', and were permitted much more freedom. The Aspirant House was moved to another location, and the connection with the Postulants became quite rare, although on Sunday we all attended Mass in the Community Chapel, and we saw the aspirants there, but were not permitted to speak to them, or they speak to us. How times have changed!

When I visited the Visitation Order for three weeks, they said I was considered an "aspirant." The first few days, they keep you separate from the Sisters as far as work and recreation, so it's very quiet, and you do get to eat in the same room, and be in their chairs for prayer time. After a few days, they let me join in on kitchen dish work, and join in on recreation. I was never allowed to stay in the dining room when they did chapter of faults. I also was allowed to sit in on the postulant teaching class, which was interesting. My stay there would have been so much better if I hadn't had the awful anxiety and some depression; it seems to come on me when in stressful or new circumstances. I thought it was wonderful how I got to be in the actual convent just as the Sisters, even sleeping in the same hall as the Sisters rooms! It's the only cloister I know that allows that.

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1317930660' post='2316702']
I was never allowed to stay in the dining room when they did chapter of faults. I also was allowed to sit in on the postulant teaching class, which was interesting. [/quote]

Both communities that I was with had a "separation" (which was appropriate) where certain times novices, postulants, and aspirants weren't allowed.

In one community there were weekly community meetings that aspirants/postulant (and I think novices) weren't allowed to. Some meetings were for solemn professed only as well.

In the other community, there were activities/classes that were for professed only. However in the circumstance that I was in (too hard to explain) I was allowed into one of the classes with the professed. Hate to say it -- I don't even remember what the class was.

HopefulBride

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1317931741' post='2316713']

Both communities that I was with had a "separation" (which was appropriate) where certain times novices, postulants, and aspirants weren't allowed.

In one community there were weekly community meetings that aspirants/postulant (and I think novices) weren't allowed to. Some meetings were for solemn professed only as well.

In the other community, there were activities/classes that were for professed only. However in the circumstance that I was in (too hard to explain) I was allowed into one of the classes with the professed. Hate to say it -- I don't even remember what the class was.
[/quote]

The SMMCs do not allow postulants (and I think also Novices) at chapter. Only professed sisters

she_who_is_not

When I was visiting a community this year, I made the postulants jealous when I was allowed to accompany a novice on a mission to the Professed community room. We went in to pin a notice on the board but I was told we shouldn't linger or look around. Normally, the formation sisters don't even go on that floor of the house.

brandelynmarie

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1317898517' post='2316022']
My first visit to the monastery lasted a month. It wasn't hard to get the time off - don't tell anyone but I had been buttering up the new boss for weeks in order to have him give me the extra holiday! - but all I said was that I was travelling and staying at a monastery, not that I wanted to be a nun. It was kind of a 'crunchy' place so they might have been more open to strange travels than other kinds of job.

The sisterhood was very open and I did almost everything, from 5 a.m. Matins to milking goats in the dark after Compline! The only things expressly not allowed were going to the daily house meeting (I guess you would call it Chapter?) or going upstairs to the nuns' quarters. Being at the Hours was really nice actually, occasionally I got restless because I'd stood in the same place, and heard the same introductory prayers, X times already that day. But overall it was one of the defining things why I loved the place and what I miss most being 'out here'.

It was difficult at first to remember the various cues for things during the services. The hymns and psalms etc. were familiar, but at points they'd all cross themselves, or get down on the floor. At the last service of the day they would line up in order of seniority and go round the entire chapel venerating all the icons and then ask forgiveness of each other and get the abbess's blessing. I'd read about that but had no idea how it was done. It was awkward! Now I like the little customs peculiar to each community, and the good thing is nobody expects you to know them, but I was glad to be standing at the back of the chapel most of the time!

Just curious, why do you ask? Are you planning to visit somewhere?
[/quote]

Yes. Hopefully this spring or summer I will be going. :) I will reveal more when plans are actually made. I guess I was just wondering how much of a culture shock it could be. I'm guessing with aspirancy, postulancy & novitiate the getting used to everything is fairly gradual. Not like in the good days of yore when they slapped a veil on your head & you were off & running. :hehe2:

brandelynmarie

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1317933596' post='2316733']
When I was visiting a community this year, I made the postulants jealous when I was allowed to accompany a novice on a mission to the Professed community room. We went in to pin a notice on the board but I was told we shouldn't linger or look around. Normally, the formation sisters don't even go on that floor of the house.
[/quote]

:whistle: I know I would have at least glanced around without actually stopping to stare at anything. I suppose that would not have been custody of the eyes. :sleep:

Oh & thanks to everyone for their comments. :) i appreciate them.