An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is It Like To Be An Aspirant?

brandelynmarie

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1317954143' post='2317092']

Yes. Hopefully this spring or summer I will be going. :) I will reveal more when plans are actually made. I guess I was just wondering how much of a culture shock it could be. I'm guessing with aspirancy, postulancy & novitiate the getting used to everything is fairly gradual. Not like in the good days of yore when they slapped a veil on your head & you were off & running. :hehe2:
[/quote]

It was a culture shock in some ways - plus that I was in another country. That was where the kindness and patience of the sisters really softened the blow I think. It really does depend where you're going and what the norms of the community are regarding outsiders. Best to double-check in advance what their expectations are. I felt stupid asking if there was going to be time to talk about vocation but it paid off: I got two private conferences with the abbess which I don't think I'd have had otherwise. Best wishes for your future stay! - hope you can divulge some more details as they become available... :P

FutureSister2009

I met the Aspirant of my future community last night and she was just wearing her regular clothes (but her shirt was blue so she blended in!) She looked tired. I believe she's being an aspirant for 3 months but I don't know what's going to happen after that

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Rocamadour' timestamp='1318351505' post='2319693']
Aaah, about two weeks I make a live in for one week! I'm so excited! :bounce:
[/quote]

Please keep us posted! (Maybe start a thread of your own? :) )

A live-in? How exciting :clap3: Please do keep us posted...and if you have any specific prayer requests, please post them as well.

• 5 weeks later...
Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='Ale.SOLT' timestamp='1320941856' post='2334323']
What is [i]Chapter of Faults[/i]?
[/quote]

A Chapter of Faults is where nuns confess ways in which they've broken the rules of their order, not sins. In some religious orders they have a Zelatrix (I think that's right) who's job is to accuse individual nuns of faults within the chapter of faults. After that they're not meant to be spoken about. An example would be if you broke a dish or whistled during the Grand Silence. Most places have got rid of it but some still have it.

Hope I haven't got anything wrong. Someone please correct me if I have.

I happened to be on the Salesian community website and found their policy for aspirantcy/postulancy and novitiate - they spend the first 1 yr and 10 mos in CA and then NJ for Noviatiate

[b] Steps in the Formation Process[/b]

[b]Aspirancy[/b] is a time of discernment within the community. Aspirants live in community and participate in the life of a Salesian Sister while going to intercongregational formation programs and deepening their spiritual life. Aspirancy lasts 1 year.[left][b]Postulancy[/b] last 10 months. Postulants continue to deepen their spiritual life and take classes on Salesian history, religious life, church history and theology. They work hand in hand with the Salesian Sisters in their ministry.[/left][left]Postulants:[/left]
continue their discernment of Salesian religious lif
deepen their spiritual life
become involved in the ministry of the community
participate in intercongregational formation programs
are introduced to the life of the founders, St. John Bosco and St. Mary Domenica Mazzarello[left]Novitiates:[/left]
study the vows and how they are lived in the Salesian life
attend regular meetings with the director of novices
study the history of the Congregation
live in a novitiate community and experience community living
experience working in the mission during the second year

After the completion of novitiate one professes [b]temporary vows[/b], which are renewed during a period of 6 to 9 years, ending in [b]final profession[/b] wherein one becomes a permant member of the Salesian religious family. During the time of temporary vows the sister actively participates in the work of the province and continues her religious formation and discernment. After final profession ongoing formation aids the sisters fostering their own vocation and making their ministry fruitful.

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][mod]edited for personal information[/mod][/font]

Edited by Lil Red

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1320950559' post='2334350']

A Chapter of Faults is where nuns confess ways in which they've broken the rules of their order, not sins. In some religious orders they have a Zelatrix (I think that's right) who's job is to accuse individual nuns of faults within the chapter of faults. After that they're not meant to be spoken about. An example would be if you broke a dish or whistled during the Grand Silence. Most places have got rid of it but some still have it.

Hope I haven't got anything wrong. Someone please correct me if I have.
[/quote]

Isn't a zelatrix an assistant novice mistress? I have never heard of this custom before, and it seems a bit unmonastic, as another nun can't reliably judge her sisters' intentions.

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1321003830' post='2334806']

Isn't a zelatrix an assistant novice mistress? I have never heard of this custom before, and it seems a bit unmonastic, as another nun can't reliably judge her sisters' intentions.
[/quote]

Thankfully its very, very uncommon these days. Sometimes anyone was able to accuse anyone else of a fault, publicly, before the whole community. The one at 'fault' would then have a punishment. Today there is a realisation that humility and humiliation are not the same thing and faults are dealt with privately if necessary.

[size=5][color=#800000][b]When I was in an active order, Chapter of Faults was a huge event. The curtains on the windows were drawn shut and the chairs arranged in two straight lines down each side of the room. The bell was rung, we entered the dimly lit room, The NM clapped her hand...once....and we all sat down. Mother began with a small prayer and then the battle began.....NOT TO GIGGLE![/b][/color][/size]
[size=5][color=#800000][b]Giggling is not an uncommon result of the mixture of teen age girls and really bad nerves. Plus it is contagious and nearly impossible to contain. By the time things began to quiet down, the bell would ring for the next "duty". Of course this was only the first year novices. Second year novices would never, ever giggle.[/b][/color][/size]

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1321003830' post='2334806']

[/quote]

Apparently it was a Carmelite custom. I don't know if the Zelatrix had to do it in other orders. I've read about it in two or three old books

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='EWIE' timestamp='1321017493' post='2334860']
[size=5][color=#800000][b]When I was in an active order, Chapter of Faults was a huge event. The curtains on the windows were drawn shut and the chairs arranged in two straight lines down each side of the room. The bell was rung, we entered the dimly lit room, The NM clapped her hand...once....and we all sat down. Mother began with a small prayer and then the battle began.....NOT TO GIGGLE![/b][/color][/size]
[size=5][color=#800000][b]Giggling is not an uncommon result of the mixture of teen age girls and really bad nerves. Plus it is contagious and nearly impossible to contain. By the time things began to quiet down, the bell would ring for the next "duty". Of course this was only the first year novices. Second year novices would never, ever giggle.[/b][/color][/size]
[/quote]

Yes, I could imagine that could be tough. I read in one book 'My Beloved' that a novice accused herself of smashing her skull on the floor. What she meant was the little skull they all kept in their bedrooms. Another was a elderly nun who accused herself of 'breaking our false teeth'. I don't think I'd survive from the giggles

Edited by Strictlyinkblot

• 10 years later...

Hi long do you remain an aspirant for? I know somebody in my neighbourhood and she has been an aspirant now coming up on two years and I am wondering why it is taking at so long for at to decide?