An Old School Catholic Message Board

Preparing To Enter? What Do You Do (Or Not)?

Aya Sophia

brandelynmarie

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1318040371' post='2317748']

Heh. I'm going to sound like I'm a spokeperson for Fr. Tim Gallagher ... but get the discernment of spirits book by him. That will be oh-so-worth-it. You *could* read the actual text, but the explanation by Fr. Tim is excellent. St. Ignatius' exercises by itself is soooo meaty.

BTW -- Fr. Tim's book quote word-for-word St. Ignatius' rules for discernment and dissects it for us lay folks. He also has a book on the Examen prayer where he explains it pretty well.
[/quote]
That's the book I was thinking about! Thanks again cmaria!

In the beginning of november, I've a life in for a week in the abbey. Also in may and june, I've a life in again for six weeks and after then the community will decided if I can make my entrance, by God willing. Yes, they will vote.

For this moment till my last life in, I work a lot, with a lot of overtime, because I've a little debts at this moment by my parents but the finish is almost in sight! :bounce: So yes, sometimes is it hard when I'm working a lot but with the grace of Him, you can do everything. This time, the nd has said: this is the time of banishment, the desert time and also a good preparation before your entrance.

I want to pray and have meditations but I can't. My workschedule is every week changed: 06:00 am till 02:00 pm, 02:00 pm till 10:00 pm and 10:00 till 06:00 am. The last month I've weekly overtime and worked for 50 - 60 hours in a week! Ouch! :ninja: Before I've my second life in for six weeks till my entrance, I will work partime and that will the time of preparation. By God willing, I hope I can make my entrance in august or september 2012.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Rocamadour' timestamp='1318065056' post='2317849']
In the beginning of november, I've a life in for a week in the abbey. Also in may and june, I've a life in again for six weeks and after then the community will decided if I can make my entrance, by God willing. Yes, they will vote.

For this moment till my last life in, I work a lot, with a lot of overtime, because I've a little debts at this moment by my parents but the finish is almost in sight! :bounce: So yes, sometimes is it hard when I'm working a lot but with the grace of Him, you can do everything. This time, the nd has said: this is the time of banishment, the desert time and also a good preparation before your entrance.

I want to pray and have meditations but I can't. My workschedule is every week changed: 06:00 am till 02:00 pm, 02:00 pm till 10:00 pm and 10:00 till 06:00 am. The last month I've weekly overtime and worked for 50 - 60 hours in a week! Ouch! :ninja: Before I've my second life in for six weeks till my entrance, I will work partime and that will the time of preparation. By God willing, I hope I can make my entrance in august or september 2012.
[/quote]

Your life sounds a bit like mine right now. I work to pay the travel expenses that are coming up next year as I will probably have to go to England three times from Australia - once for the initial visit, then for the live-in and finally for entrance (God willing). And my entrance date (if it happens) will probably be the end of the year 2012 as well!

I will keep you in my prayers. I do take time to pray the Office when I am not working, but like you, it isn't easy to do it when working shifts, so the Hours don't always get prayed at the right time! :P Unlike you, I have the straight 2-10pm shift, but the days very from week to week so I can't always get to Mass when I want. Fortunately, our priest is also my spiritual director, so he understands. And since I don't have any debts, all I have to think about are the upcoming travel expenses - but from Oz to the UK, then can be more than $3000 per round trip!

:pray: Prayers for all discerners.

brandelynmarie

[quote name='Rocamadour' timestamp='1318065056' post='2317849']

[/quote]

Yes, God willing! Swing shifts are incredibly difficult, more so than even straight nights! God love for doing what you can as you are able. :) Question, what does your ND mean by "this is the time of banishment"? I understand the [s]dessert [/s]desert reference, I believe. Prayers, chica. :amen:

brandelynmarie

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1318066351' post='2317855']

Your life sounds a bit like mine right now. I work to pay the travel expenses that are coming up next year as I will probably have to go to England three times from Australia - once for the initial visit, then for the live-in and finally for entrance (God willing). And my entrance date (if it happens) will probably be the end of the year 2012 as well!

I will keep you in my prayers. I do take time to pray the Office when I am not working, but like you, it isn't easy to do it when working shifts, so the Hours don't always get prayed at the right time! :P Unlike you, I have the straight 2-10pm shift, but the days very from week to week so I can't always get to Mass when I want. Fortunately, our priest is also my spiritual director, so he understands. And since I don't have any debts, all I have to think about are the upcoming travel expenses - but from Oz to the UK, then can be more than $3000 per round trip!

:pray: Prayers for all discerners.
[/quote]

Yes, prayers for you nunsense & all discerners. :amen: (Whatever happened to :bigpray: ?) I always figured that as long as the LOTR was recited in the correct order, God would overlook the daily time factor! :hehe:

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1318067273' post='2317856']

Yes, God willing! Swing shifts are incredibly difficult, more so than even straight nights! God love for doing what you can as you are able. :) Question, [b]what does your ND mean by "this is the time of banishment"?[/b] I understand the [s]dessert [/s]desert reference, I believe. Prayers, chica. :amen:
[/quote]

If Rocamadour means what I think she does then it's the same as what my priest referred to as 'exile', knowing precisely where your true home is and wanting to be there, but having to wait.

carmenchristi

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1318008980' post='2317486']
Ok. I'm being 100% serious. When I set an entrance date for the first time, what did I do?

I went to Walt Disney World. No joke. I'd never gone. Neither had my mom (67 at the time). So, I took my mom, my niece, my sister and I to Disney.

I had the time of my life. Also a sunburn (my 11 yr old niece had something to do with it. I put her sunblock on. She put, um attempted to put, mine on).
[/quote]

I LOVE IT! I'm glad I'm not the only one who had some "interesting" preparations. Yeah... the only thing I did differently was ask to tag along on the altar servers' trip to a local amusement park. I was like the only girl, and the only one over 15 except the pastor and the head altar server! Hahaha, but since it was my last opportunity. Other than that I didn't do anything. I didn't even pack up my bedroom.... my poor mom! WhenI went back home after 6 years I saw my stuff boxed up in the attic with written on it "I love you (nickname)"... Oh well! (I also discovered that I was quite slim at 19 years old... as I tried to get into my old clothes, but couldn't manage most of them!)

Eh, link didn't work.

We will not be doing this:

[url="http://www.sodahead.com/fun/my-drawings/blog-377293/"][img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Cq2Z1j3ugQs/Sq2UISNpqUI/AAAAAAAAEqc/Vb6YLU9gMcI/s400/large_nun1-1.jpg[/img][/url]

We are vurry surious :nun3:

;)

AccountDeleted

The first time I got a lot of expensive dental work done - replaced all the old fillings, had three crowns, cleaning etc. Figured it would save the convent the money.

Second time I was in a state of shock from having been fired from my job at a Catholic anti-abortion shelter for 'discerning religious life' instead of being committed to their cause, so I didn't do anything except get on the plane and go.

The third time I made sure I saw the latest Harry Potter movie before entering.

Last time I had pizza and wine with my sister.

If I ever enter again... no plans at all, nada, zero, zilch, zip. One day at a time.

I forgot ... the 1st time I had my wisdom teeth pulled. My health plan paid for all but 10%, which is why I had it done before I left.

Yes dentist is one I did first time, and had the circumstances been different (ie I could get IV sedation) I'd have done it this time too.

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1318067514' post='2317857']

Yes, prayers for you nunsense & all discerners. :amen: (Whatever happened to :bigpray: ?) I always figured that as long as the LOTR was recited in the correct order, God would overlook the daily time factor! :hehe:
[/quote]

Well, if you really think about it, in some part of the world at any given hour someone is praying (take your pick of hour).

For example, right now on the east coast of the US it's 3:12pm. Somewhere on earth, it is 7:12am. So somewhere, some community or some priest or some lay person is praying Lauds/Morning prayer (or finishing, or getting ready to start; mind you we may be on different days -- figuring that out gives me a headache at times).

Just like right now, somewhere it is 8:12 or 9:12pm, and there someone is praying/getting ready to pray Compline/Night Prayer.

My new s.d. is who made me realize that if/when I get into a habit of doing the LOTH, that the key is the attempt. If I can't do any better than doing Lauds at noon and Vespers at say 9pm (because of my crazy schedule) then it should suffice. And again ... thinking about the universal Church it is awe-some to think that somewhere someone is accompanying me in making that same prayer.

brandelynmarie

I just realized I posted LOTR [i]instead of[/i] LOTH!!!!!! rotfl

But thanks cmaria, for pointing out that the LOTH is going on all over the world...truly a universal Church! :priest: :nunpray: :priest: :nunpray: