An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jesuit Query

PhoenixLament87

PhoenixLament87

Hello all.

In addition to other religious orders, I'm considering a vocation to the priesthood within the Society of Jesus (Jesuits). I live in the newly merged Chicago-Detroit Province (closer to Detroit), which is comprised of Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and most of Illinois.

While I [i]love [/i]the Jesuit saints and the charism of the Society, particularly their involvement in teaching in high schools and colleges, I'm not sure if it's the right fit for me. I've had little or no contact until now with the Society.

And advice and/or observations would be helpful!

A.M.D.G.

brandelynmarie
:welcome: to phatmass! I know very little about the Jesuits other than I love Father Mitch Pacwa S.J. :love: But I am sure someone on here would be able to help. :) Edited by brandelynmarie

My parish church is run by Jesuits. Recently, on the Feast of St Ignatius of Loyola, two priests celebrated the golden jubilees of their ordination. It was a very moving event, especially when the Jesuit provincial gave some details of the two men's service over the years. They've done missionary work with homeless people, they've run parishes, they've served overseas...the overwhelming impression of their order that I got is, "This is mission." If you want that missionary spirit, you could do no better. :)

LaPetiteSoeur

I love the Jesuits. I'm sure that if I was a man, I'd either be a Jesuit or a Franciscan!

That being said, I know about the Jesuits mostly through the books of Fr. James Martin. He wrote [i]The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything[/i]. I highly recommend it as it describes almost everything about Jesuit life, spirituality, etc. He also wrote about the saints and his vocation story was published and is called [i]IN Good Company[/i]

Bonne chance with your discernment!

I also love the Jesuits... I would add to the missionary identity that of a scholastic community. Those men are educated! If you are interested in them I say go for it! The Oblates of the Blessed Virgin Mary are another community I would recommend to anyone looking into Jesuits too. God bless you!

Prayers!

Sister Marie

The Jesuits are a really interesting group. They have a strong emphasis on education, as you know, so any Jesuit you meet will have pursued higher education. Also, if you are familiar with St. Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises, you will realize they are all about discernment and living an examined life. The motto, 'For the Greater Glory of God' means that they are looking at everday ordinary things and seeing how they can do their tasks for God's greater glory. This is that 'mission' vibe.

The Jesuits have a fairly tempestuous history. They've always been directly under the pope (not local bishops), so they've had greater freedom and autonomy than other priests. At various times in history, this has been very politically contentious, and the order has been suppressed. The movie 'The Mission' depicts some of these politics, and how it affected the priests 'on the ground.' After the reforms of the 60's and 70s, the Jesuits have gotten more involved with social justice work and direct ministry to the poor. One avenue this has taken are the Cristo Rey network of schools (started by the Chicago Jesuits) to serve inner city immigrant families. Another is the Homeboy Bakery/ Homegirl Cafe in LA to help people get out of gang life and provide them with marketable skills.

Some people will tell you that Jesuits are very left-wing. And, the truth is, there are plenty of ultra-left-wing Jesuits out there. These would be people who are involved in liberation theology, etc. I could name names, but don't feel the need to here.

Of course, there are also very orthodox Jesuits as well. The late Fr. Hardon taught catechism to Mother Teresa's sisters, for instance.

The thing is that Jesuits are always seeking the Magis, the greater/better/more way of doing things, so you are going to have some go off the deep end if there's not a superior to rein them in. It happens. But do not charecterize the whole order that way, or be led to believe that all Jesuits are radicals. That is simply not true.

It is strange to me that you're attracted to the Jesuits, but never had much contact with them. I guess I figure most people have some experience with Jesuit schools before learning about the life of St. Ignatius of Loyola ;).

Edited by MithLuin

The Jesuits are a great order. I attended one of their universities and I also know a couple of the Jesuit Scholastics (Jesuits in formation). I would encourage you to get in contact with the Jesuits closest to you as they would be better able to provide you with more information.

NovemberFourth

I really like the Jesuits and I am very attracted to their spirituality. If they had provision for Sisters I would definitely have looked into it.
Prayers for you!
N4
(Edited due to my poor typing.) :)

Edited by NovemberFourth

I had a friend who was discerning with the Chicago/Detroit province, but discerned that he is called to marriage. He always spoke very highly of them. Many prayers for you. Please let us know how things are going as you continue to discern; we will keep you in prayer!!!!

Edited by Lisa

sistersintigo

The late fr John Hardon SJ would be particularly germane to your inquiry, since his career is much associated with your Detroit/Chicago area. He was a prolific author, and is deeply revered and loved even by those Catholics who avoid the left-wing Jesuit faction.

PhoenixLament87

Thanks to all for your responses, with special thanks to MithLuin!

I should clarify: I have until now had little or no [i]personal [/i]contact with the Jesuits, beyond my contact with the Jesuit saints, particularly Father Ignatius, Edmund Campion, and Jean de Brebeuf (whose shrine and tomb I have visited). I am also inspired by Aloysius Gonzaga and Miguel Pro!

A.M.D.G.

Your comment about Jean de Brebeuf reminded me that today is the memorial of the Jesuit Martyrs of North America!

(Also Edmund Campion is pretty razzle dazzle too)

Sr. Lucille Cutrone of the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal discussed her former spiritual director -- [url="http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1682244/posts"]Fr. Walter Ciszek, SJ[/url]. He was her former spiritual director in his later years. She talked of him fondly and recommended his book to us called [i]He Leadeth Me[/i]. He was a very moving author, apparently. I still have not read it, but it sounds very interesting. :)

she_who_is_not

Walter Ciszek is a saint. He inspired me with such love of the Eucharist. [i]With God in Russia, [/i]is the memoir of his time spent in Soviet labor camps.

PhoenixLament87

Also, could anyone explain to me the rationale behind Jesuit formation? For instance, I notice that Jesuits profess perpetual vows immediately after a two year novitiate, which seems idiosyncratic to me.

Thoughts?

A.M.D.G.