An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jesuit Query

PhoenixLament87

Phoenix,
It is my understanding that the first set of vows are temporary, like most religious orders. They say the vows and become "Scholastics" in First Studies. It says thius is about 2-3 years. Then there is the "Regency," which includes apostolic works. They take Theology Classes and are ordained, still without having made final profession. The Tertianship is the period of preparation for final vows. These are the solemn vows and are poverty, chastity, obedience, and obedience to the pope. They also make 5 simple vows at the same time:

[quote]
not to consent to any mitigation of the Society's observance of poverty;
not to "ambition" or seek any prelacies (ecclesiastical offices) outside the Society;
not to ambition any offices within the Society;
a commitment to report any Jesuit who does so ambition,
if a Jesuit does become a bishop, to permit the general to continue to provide advice to that bishop, though the vow of obedience to Jesuit superiors is not operative over matters the man undertakes as bishop.

Under these vows, no Jesuit may "campaign" or even offer his name for appointment or election to any office, and if chosen for one must remind the appointing authority (even the Pope) of these Vows—if the Pope commands that the Jesuit accept ordination as a bishop anyway, the Jesuit must keep an open ear to the Jesuit general as an influence. [/quote]

Here's the Chicago Province's website: [url="http://thinkjesuit.org/stages-of-jesuit-training/"]http://thinkjesuit.org/stages-of-jesuit-training/[/url]

Jesuit formation is a bit longer than some orders, because of all the education...and the 'delay' because of the time spent in ministry. But it's the same basic idea - novitiate before vows, temporary vows renewed until the end of formation and final vows.

My own experience with Jesuits begins with my parents. They met at the University of Detroit, a Jesuit college. My dad had attended a Jesuit high school, and so sent his sons there as well. He would tell stories about some of the Jesuit priests who lived on campus while he was there. They also taught him how to think about theology, so that when (as an adult) he started looking into his faith more deeply, it was the Jesuit theologians who made sense to him - especially Fr. Hardon. It was the Spiritual Exercises that set him on the path to becoming a deacon, which he now is.

I knew a few Jesuit priests growing up, but my first real experience with the Jesuits came when I worked at a Jesuit high school for 2 years. :) I remember telling someone 'I have to have an interview with a [i]Jesuit[/i] to get this job...' But while working there, I became friends with one of the scholastics, so...they're not as intimidating any more ;).

I do think that discerning with Jesuits means meeting with actual real life Jesuits, so I hope you have the opportunity to get in touch with a nearby Jesuit community.