An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Benedictines Out There?

Queen'sDaughter

Queen'sDaughter

Hello all.

I am new here, and so happy that I finally joined! I was wondering if there is anyone who is discerning a Benedictine vocation, and with which community.

I have been accepted to the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles, and would love to meet other Bennies!

Actually, I would like to meet all of you!

LaPetiteSoeur
:welcome:

While I'm not a Bennie (more Franciscan!) , I know the nunsense and IPS are! They should introduce themselves, soon, I"m sure. When are you going to enter the Benedictines of Mary? They are a beautiful order, to be sure!

Queen's Daughter, Welcome to VS!~ And welcome to the Benedictine Community

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=4]BEHOLD, IN HIS LOVING KINDNESS, THE LORD SHOWS US THE WAY OF LIFE. . . . . .[/size][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=4]AND SO WE ARE GOING TO ESTABLISH A SCHOOL FOR THE SERVICE OF THE LORD. [/size][/font]PROLOGUE TO THE RULE OF BENEDICT, 20, 45

Benedict in his wisdom wrote a simple and beautiful rule for his monks. I am sure you are aware that Benedictines read from the rule every day. It is a wonderful way to support your vocational journey and familiarize yourself with the heart of Benedictine life. You will be in my my prayers.
I have been a Benedictine Oblate for over 30 years, and have many,many,Benedictine friends. Again welcome!

Oh congrats on your acceptance!

A friend of mine from college made her perpetual profession about a year ago with the Benedictine Sisters of Ferdinand (and a couple weeks ago there were two more perpetual professions! And there are still a few more temporary professed, a novice, and this fall there was a new postulant! Ahem, sorry, I got carried away) so I find myself quite fascinated by them.

QueensDaughter.....Welcome to VS!!!! I'm not a Benedictine, but I have friends who are. I lean toward the Franciscans. Sorry :o

brandelynmarie
:welcome: And congratulations on your acceptance! As you can see by my avatar, I lean toward Dominican spirituality, :nunpray: but have a great love of Carmelites. :love: There are many of us on here who have interests in multiple Schools of Spirituality. You have come to the right place!

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='Queen'sDaughter' timestamp='1318872079' post='2322734']
Hello all.

I am new here, and so happy that I finally joined! I was wondering if there is anyone who is discerning a Benedictine vocation, and with which community.

I have been accepted to the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles, and would love to meet other Bennies!

Actually, I would like to meet all of you!
[/quote]

AHHHH!!!!
... I am discerning with the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of the Apostles! The sub-prioress just phoned me this morning!
Congratulations on the acceptance!

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1318891761' post='2322914']

AHHHH!!!!
... I am discerning with the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of the Apostles! The sub-prioress just phoned me this morning!
Congratulations on the acceptance!
[/quote]

Yay! Finally! :woot:

Queen'sDaughter

[
Thank you so much for the kind replies. My tenative entrance date is September 15, 2012, but that is flexible. (Their postulants for this year are entering on November 7th. I am a college senior, so I must graduate this May, (please pray that I do), so I can enter in the fall.

To InPersonaChriste:

Sister Scholastica is the sweetest nun [i]ever[/i], and you will love her. I was able to visit them for a week before sending my petition to enter, and though all of their way of life is beautiful, what really struck me was how they care for Sister Wilhelmina. Sister Lois of the Sisters of Saint Francis of Perpetual Adoration told me that you should always look closely at how an order treats there elderly members, as this is very important.

I could talk all day about the Sisters...

In HIM

Queen

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='Queen'sDaughter' timestamp='1318900930' post='2322955']
[
Thank you so much for the kind replies. My tenative entrance date is September 15, 2012, but that is flexible. (Their postulants for this year are entering on November 7th. I am a college senior, so I must graduate this May, (please pray that I do), so I can enter in the fall.

To InPersonaChriste:

Sister Scholastica is the sweetest nun [i]ever[/i], and you will love her. I was able to visit them for a week before sending my petition to enter, and though all of their way of life is beautiful, what really struck me was how they care for Sister Wilhelmina. Sister Lois of the Sisters of Saint Francis of Perpetual Adoration told me that you should always look closely at how an order treats there elderly members, as this is very important.

I could talk all day about the Sisters...

In HIM

Queen
[/quote]

Oh yes! I have only talked to her once briefly on the phone, she is so caring in every word she says. I have actually heard Sister Wilhelmina mentioned from a priest as well when I mentioned the Benedictines of Mary, she seems a very special nun.

My dad and I were just looking over when would be a good time for me to go. I was hoping for next week (long story... Big miscommunication from faxes and the gist is that I was suppossed to leave today for the priory) but seeing as I no longer have a salary, it would make more sense for me to book a flight further into the futer... And the closest date in the future is so far away! :saint2:

I do dearly want to meet these nuns, their way of life and rule are very beautiful. The Benedictines are very close to my heart, if I am called there or not I will always remember them in my prayers.

I cannot stop talking about them either... :)
[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1318900784' post='2322953']

Yay! Finally! :woot:
[/quote]

To fill you in, the sub-prioress said she was super sorry about the mix up and that I am cleared for any week! I wanted to leave next week but my parents said no, but I think they agreed on a different date in the early future... I am not going to lie.. God is testing my patience again.

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1318914097' post='2323047']
To fill you in, the sub-prioress said she was super sorry about the mix up and that I am cleared for any week! I wanted to leave next week but my parents said no, but I think they agreed on a different date in the early future... I am not going to lie.. God is testing my patience again.
[/quote]

I can just imagine how irritating that is. I remember when I sent in the application to the CFRs in June 2009 so I could attend a retreat there and Sr. Francis didn't call me back until October! God definitely tested my patience, but all was well when it turned out it was not where He was calling me. :)

My first experience of RL was in a cloistered, Benedicitine monastery in the US. It was a foundational and watershed experience in my life - everything following it (in later discernment/RL) has built on that experience.

What a blessing that you have had an attraction strong enough to move you to discern with and then to ask to enter a particular community. That you feel willing, able and eager to takes these steps is a gift of God.

Prayers for your perseverence in your discernment and, when the time comes (after many, many little "yes"es along the way, as TheresaThoma noted elsewhere) for your commitment to the life, DV.

Edited by Aya Sophia

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1318914570' post='2323053']

I can just imagine how irritating that is. I remember when I sent in the application to the CFRs in June 2009 so I could attend a retreat there and Sr. Francis didn't call me back until October! God definitely tested my patience, but all was well when it turned out it was not where He was calling me. :)
[/quote]

I would have left today if i could! But it only works if I go from Monday to Monday, and unfortunately I have sewing classes coming up on Mondays (and therefore everyday will be filled.. :(..). I am frustrated a little, but I just have to think of all of you who have gone through the same thing (and much more). It definitely helps to know that other people are out there :)

I'm not a Benedectine but I love them so much!! If I had become a nun, certainly I would have been a benedectine.
I've just returned home from a week I spent in Solesmes France, and it was like I had lived a week in Paradise!
I wish you all the best with this beautiful order.