An Old School Catholic Message Board

Evolution

Livin_the_MASS

Livin_the_MASS

My brother-in-law was over the other day, and he says that evolution could be possible if God wanted to do it that way.

My only problem is Sacred Scripture says God formed man from the CLAY of the EARTH.

Not from a monkey.

Any Theology on this from anyone, comments, inputes, yada yada :)

In the love of Christ
Jason

CreepyCrawler

well, the bible doesn't say what happens in between clay-state and human form. perhaps it went: clay --> single cell --> invertebrate --> vertebrate --> ---> ---> mammals --> human :) the key is making sure you know that it was God who did it.
i don't think evolution is necessarily anti-bible, but if you make evolution your religion then it is bad. i think it can be either or, really. nothing to worry over.

remember: don't live in the past :P (haha)

Brother Adam

Evolution is silly.

If you want a simple, easy to read, yet indepth book go for Lee Strobel's "Case for a Creator".

Livin_the_MASS

[quote name='CreepyCrawler' date='Apr 30 2004, 09:50 AM'] well, the bible doesn't say what happens in between clay-state and human form. perhaps it went: clay --> single cell --> invertebrate --> vertebrate --> ---> ---> mammals --> human :) the key is making sure you know that it was God who did it.
i don't think evolution is necessarily anti-bible, but if you make evolution your religion then it is bad. i think it can be either or, really. nothing to worry over.

remember: don't live in the past :P (haha) [/quote]
God didn't make us a monkey to grow to a human form thats silly to me?

Why number # 1 He is God all knowing, the Bible clearly states man was formed from the clay of the earth then He (God) breathed in his nostrils the breath of life.

It is to clear to me that God made man a man, haha!

Plus after He made man THEN came the animals

Shout out Bro Adam, I'll check it! God Bless ;)

Livin_the_MASS

[b]Genesis: 1:7-25[/b]

[quote][b]the LORD God formed man [u]out of the clay of the ground and blew into his nostrils the breath of life, and so man became a living being.[/u] [/b]

Then the LORD God planted a garden in Eden, in the east, and he placed there the man whom he had formed.

Out of the ground the LORD God made various trees grow that were delightful to look at and good for food, with the tree of life in the middle of the garden and the tree of the knowledge of good and bad.

A river rises in Eden to water the garden; beyond there it divides and becomes four branches.

The name of the first is the Pishon; it is the one that winds through the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold.

The gold of that land is excellent; bdellium and lapis lazuli are also there.

The name of the second river is the Gihon; it is the one that winds all through the land of Cush.

The name of the third river is the Tigris; it is the one that flows east of Asshur. The fourth river is the Euphrates.

The LORD God then took the man and settled him in the garden of Eden, to cultivate and care for it.

The LORD God gave man this order: "You are free to eat from any of the trees of the garden

except the tree of knowledge of good and bad. From that tree you shall not eat; the moment you eat from it you are surely doomed to die."

The LORD God said: "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a suitable partner for him."

[b]So the LORD God formed out of the ground various wild animals and various birds of the air, and he brought them to the man to see what he would call them; whatever the man called each of them would be its name.[/b]

The man gave names to all the cattle, all the birds of the air, and all the wild animals; but none proved to be the suitable partner for the man.

[b]So the LORD God cast a deep sleep on the man, and while he was asleep, he took out one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh.

The LORD God then built up into a woman the rib that he had taken from the man. When he brought her to the man,

the man said: "This one, at last, is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; This one shall be called 'woman,' for out of 'her man' this one has been taken."

That is why a man leaves his father and mother and clings to his wife, and the two of them become one body.[/b]

The man and his wife were both naked, yet they felt no shame.[/quote]

Man from clay----Animals made after man is created from the [b]clay[/b] of the earth----women from man------------------no monkey ;)

Evolution is incompatible with the Bible and Tradition. Aside from this fact, the Theory of Evolution (and the Big Bang Theory) is incompatible with scientific law, namely the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the Law of Disorder, in light of Einstein's Quantam Theory. One simply needs to illustrate that Einstein's Theory is more reasonable than Darwin's (and I think most scientific minds would agree with this). If you want me to type the argument, I will be glad to. God bless.

The whole Evolution argument is dumb, and plus there are actually 2 Creation stories in Genesis from 2 different Traditions, so....

Evolutionists and Fundalmentalists both need to read the Bible with a "Spiritual Eye" that God created man in his own image and all his creation was good - if this message is missed in all the arguing, either side really doesn't know anything.

In all respect, God could have done it any way he sought fit, and Genesis can easily be a watered down version for the faithful to understand the message.

This is the message and whether or not your great great great... grandfather might have been a Reces Monkey doesn't mean squat today or put nullify God's word, and people who support Evolution have absolutly no right to say that science discredits Genesis because God is the author of EVERYTHING including the concept of "science" and there is nothing that can separate the two. If anything the two are interwoven together.

Plus I don't think there is going to be some sort of Scantron Exam on this sort of stuff before being admitted into heaven. Just have faith.

What the Pope said about evolution:

[url="http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/whatsaid.htm"]http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/whatsaid.htm[/url]

This article provides a link to the actual text of the Pope's message (it's fairly short). But it discusses the translation error that caused the English-speaking media to report that the Pope had "approved" evolution.

The media hardly ever gets it right when reporting on the Catholic Church.

Actually From John Paul II

[quote]In his Encyclical Humani generis [1950], my predecessor Pius XII had already stated that there was no opposition between evolution and the doctrine of the faith about man and his vocation, on condition that one did not lose sight of several indisputable points (cf. AAS 42 [1950], pp. 575-576). [/quote]

Source [url="http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/message.htm"]http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/message.htm[/url]

You all need to realize that Genesis is a myth. And myth has no need of history. For the purpose of myth is to teach man fundamental truthes about his nature, not his history( Theology of the Body 99).

Stop using strictly protestant eys to read the Bible....

PS I admire you search for the truth.

[quote]Q: So the pope then did not say that Catholics are required to believe in evolution?

A: Of course not. The Church is not in the business of teaching scientific theories. [b]The primary focus of its teaching is the deposit of faith passed on to us from the apostles (e.g., that Jesus Christ is the fully divine Son of God). The secondary focus is dogmatic facts necessary to protect things in the deposit of faith (e.g., that the Council of Nicaea, which infallibly defined the divinity of Christ, was a true ecumenical council and so had the ability to make this definition). [/b]The Church does not deal with issues outside these areas.

In particular, the Church does not teach theories of science as matters of faith. The most it does it say that a given scientific theory does not contradict or is not irreconcilable with the deposit of faith.[/quote]

Whoop! Thanks Likos.

Livin_the_MASS

[quote][b]5. The Church's Magisterium is directly concerned with the question of evolution, for it involves the conception of man: Revelation teaches us that he was created in the image and likeness of God (cf. Gn 1:27-29). The conciliar Constitution Gaudium et spes has magnificently explained this doctrine, which is pivotal to Christian thought. It recalled that man is 'the only creature on earth that God wanted for its own sake' (n. 24). In other terms, the human individual cannot be subordinated as a pure means or a pure instrument, either to the species or to society; he has value per se. He is a person. With his intellect and his will, he is capable of forming a relationship of communion, solidarity, and self-giving with his peers. St. Thomas observes that man's likeness to God resides especially in his speculative intellect; for his relationship with the object of his knowledge resembles God's relationship with what he has created (Summa Theologica, I-II, q. 3, a. 5, ad 1). But even more, man is called to enter into a relationship of knowledge and love with God himself, a relationship which will find its complete fulfillment beyond time, in eternity. All the depth and grandeur of this vocation are revealed to us in the mystery of the risen Christ (cf. Gaudium et spes, n. 22). It is by virtue of his spiritual soul that the whole person possesses such a dignity even in his body. Pius XII stressed this essential point: if the human body takes its origin from pre-existent living matter, the spiritual soul is immediately created by God ('anima enim a Deo immediate creati catholica fides nos retiners [...]' Encyclical Humani generis, AAS 42 [1950], p. 575).[/b][/quote]

Nice thanks, Katholikos and Theoketos
Good find ;)

God Bless,
Jason

Livin_the_MASS

[quote][b]It is significant that in St. John's gospel life refers to the divine light which Christ communicates to us. We are called to enter into eternal life, that is to say, into the eternity of divine beatitude.

[u]To warn us against the serious temptations threatening us, our Lord quoted the great saying of Deuteronomy: 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God' (Dt 8:3; cf. Mt 4:4).[/u]

Even more, 'life' in one of the most beautiful titles which the Bible attributes to God. He is the living God.[/quote][/b]

The Scripture quote above how JPII so awesomely puts, over on the [u]Former Catholics for Christ board[/u] they take this out of context BIG TIME!

That verse is pasted everywhere!

God Bless Them
There in my prayers
Mary intercede for them
Jason

ok well heres the deal in science they talk about how a supernova created everything and we are all made by a supernova and so i was talking well whats before that and then before that till she couldnt answer anymore and the last was the supernova that is said to create the whole universe through the recycling or something like that (i dont pay attention much cause its nonsense) but i mean... they cant trace it all the way back. God could be that supernova, i dont understand how people can be evolutionists because it makes no sense since there is no beggining. The one thing that started all life didnt come out of empty space :\ just something to think about